Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: two silly rants  (Read 956 times)

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
two silly rants
« on: August 05, 2016, 08:48:10 PM »
Why is that that you can't get a single, normal-sized bag of cheese puffs? If I want to eat a whole bag of Whotsits in one sitting, I should be able to do it without having to go through six tiny individual bags! Seriously, what is up with that??

And seriously, British food manufacturers, FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO RESEALABLE PACKAGING. The "resealable tabs" that stick for like 10 seconds do not count. What reasonable person needs to cook 42 frozen chicken nuggets or an entire bag of frozen peas at once? Just put a freaking ziploc seal on there!

This bothers me way more than it should but damn if it doesn't drive me up a wall!

• Liked: 3595
Re: two silly rants
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:22:29 PM »
Why is that that you can't get a single, normal-sized bag of cheese puffs? If I want to eat a whole bag of Whotsits in one sitting, I should be able to do it without having to go through six tiny individual bags! Seriously, what is up with that??

Depends what you mean by 'normal'-sized. Normal-sized in the US is large-sized in a lot of other countries :P. To me, those small bags of Wotsits are normal-sized - anything bigger is too much for me to eat in one sitting :P.

Having said that though, you can get larger/sharing sized packets of crisps like Wotsits - they're around somewhere (particularly in service stations/train stations/airports etc.). You can also get larger, sharing-sized bags of supermarket own brand cheese puffs and the like, whereas the name-brands often don't make large packets..

And seriously, British food manufacturers, FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO RESEALABLE PACKAGING. The "resealable tabs" that stick for like 10 seconds do not count. What reasonable person needs to cook 42 frozen chicken nuggets or an entire bag of frozen peas at once? Just put a freaking ziploc seal on there!

I've never really felt the need for resealable packaging myself - I don't eat a lot of frozen food (the only things in my freezer right now are 2 tubs of Ben and Jerry's and half a loaf of bread), but my parents just seal open bags of frozen food with wire food tags.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »
Being a pig.....I can kind of relate. Occasionally I get the urge for plain crisps and some sour cream+chive dip.  I have to buy a number of Ruffles bags.....even the "big" ones. I can go through 2 "big" bags if I have the urge hit me. Now.....I feel like crap afterwards.....but it doesn't stop me. The small bags of crisps are not worth bothering with.....I can inhale deeply and kill off 3 or 4 without thinking.

This is NOT a good superpower.......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:06:29 PM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
I am with you on both points!

I was able to quite happily put away most of one of those large bags of Lays in one sitting   8) and I object to having to open little bag after little bag of crisps. It makes me feel greedy if nothing else! 

Birdseye do ziplock seals on their peas and corn. I have been known to buy from Aldi and re-fill the empty Birdseye bags!  ;D

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 11:16:19 PM »
.I can inhale deeply and kill off 3 or 4 without thinking.

The thing is, when you are four deep into a six-pack, why leave two? I just go for it.....and then there you are in the kitchen with all sorts of wrappers and things spread around the counter...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 12:58:16 AM »
It drives me bonkers too. Well, the ridiculously tiny chip bag. I realise that technically those tiny bags are the serving size and they are trying to 'save me from myself' but that is NOT going to stop me when i'm in a potato chip mood. Husband just gives me crap.

Not to mention all that wasted packaging! Aren't we trying to save the planet? Haha. But seriously, it is a waste.

On the positive side, your chips don't get soggy from the humidity.

I'm a fan of sour cream and onion dip myself. Oh, every once in awhile I would have chips and dip for dinner. Not often, but sometimes...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 02:36:04 AM »
Sainsbury's does their own brand of cheese puffs, and you can buy them in a normal-sized bag without having to go through several tiny lunch-sized ones.

(not that I've ever eaten an entire large bag of Sainsbury's cheese puffs in one sitting...  [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=angel.gif] )

• Liked: 68
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 07:43:45 AM »
Sainsbury's does their own brand of cheese puffs, and you can buy them in a normal-sized bag without having to go through several tiny lunch-sized ones.

(not that I've ever eaten an entire large bag of Sainsbury's cheese puffs in one sitting...  [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=angel.gif] )

ASDA do as well. My husband likes them and seems to go for them first when we're getting snack food for a party. I'm not really a fan myself though (I'm a crunchy cheeto kind of person but don't get me started on the lack of those...)!

My guilty food pleasure is chips and dip though so totally feel your pain. Sometimes I just want a darn bag of plain potato chips! No chance, unless I get the handcooked crunchier ones, or sometimes Ruffles although those are always more expensive.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »
(I'm a crunchy cheeto kind of person but don't get me started on the lack of those...)!

My guilty food pleasure is chips and dip though so totally feel your pain. Sometimes I just want a darn bag of plain potato chips! No chance, unless I get the handcooked crunchier ones, or sometimes Ruffles although those are always more expensive.

They have crunchy cheetos at my Tesco Extra! I get them every once in awhile. It's not a big bag or anything, but it's not the tiny one's either. I think it's the size you'd get for 99cents back in the day.

I feel your pain in the normal chips. I miss Lays Deli style. Those are awesome. Slightly thicker and had the best crunch. Pair it with the 'french onion' dip from City Market and my life was good.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 08:48:58 AM »
They have crunchy cheetos at my Tesco Extra!

And I've bought crunchy Cheetos at the Co-Op, and other smaller (smaller than Tesco Extra) shops.

OP, do you have a Costco membership?  I bought a box of crunchy Cheetos from there... it was a box filled with the small packets.  Can't remember how many there were, but it seems like it was about 25 or 30.

Also, have you tried Nik Naks?  They are the same texture/crunch as crunchy Cheetos, but not cheese-flavoured... the saucy ribs flavour is nice, and I think there is another one which is like scampi flavour.  They stopped making the cheese flavour ones a few years ago, but the other flavours really are worth a try.

eta:  the Cheetos I found were normal cheese flavour, not 'flaming hot'.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:04:48 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »
Walkers Sensations have some pretty tasty crisps.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
Haha I'm pregnant with a toddler so it's all about snacking and frozen food here at the moment. I totally miss the crunch Cheetos, all I've found here are the "flamin' hot" ones (which are not my thing), or the tiny packets in the American food section but I cannot justify spending £1.25 on something that normally costs 50 cents. (Though I do willingly spend £3.50 on a box of Cheez-Its, I never said it made sense!) I did pick up a bag of Sainsbury's cheese puffs today, which I am sure I will polish off tonight as my husband's out of town so there will be no witnesses! :)

That's very good to know about the brands that have resealable frozen veg! I love the idea of repackaging the cheap brands - I have some big frozen-food bags, I should just use those!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »

¡Look what I found in Spain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 149
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »
they had a curry flavoured crisp in the CO-OP a couple of weeks ago......damn......kind of like Costco......now they don't have them.....never to be seen again????
Fred

• Liked: 387
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
I found flaming hot Cheetos in Co-Op once... but they have yet to make a reappearance.  :(

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab