Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello Now live in Kent with my Husband  (Read 967 times)

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
  • Liked: 0
Hello Now live in Kent with my Husband
« on: May 23, 2003, 11:19:48 AM »
Hello everyone,

I moved from New Hampshire to live with my English Husband.  We live in Kent near Canterbury.  I have been in England since about October.  

I have to say we have been having a wonderful time with our marriage.  Not so wonderful time with my visa.  I hope we can get it all sorted out soon.  Thank you very much for this forum and I hope to make some meaningful friends.
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
Re: Hello Now live in Kent with my Husband
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 05:09:02 PM »
Welcome MoiNouvelle,

I'm moving to Tonbridge,Kent shortly and will be marrying my English fiance in August.  I'm glad you're having a wonderful time!  What problems have you been having with your visa?

-Sandy
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 10:14:09 PM »
Hello Sandy,

Thank you very much for the reply.  I am guessing you are still in the states.  If that is the case obtain your visa before you arrive.  You can apply for a Fiance visa.  My Husband and I have been told many different stories by the Home Office.  They refused my visa and we are currently waiting on if we will be granted a variation.  Most people who apply for the visa from England are denied and made to go back to the States and apply.  Therefore, I would strongly advice you apply from the states.  Pay the 430USD that the want and they will grant the visa.  Sorry for being negative but it seems to be the way it works.

I have not personally been to Tonbridge.  Kent is very beautiful region to live.  It has a lot to offer plus London is still close.  Any advice you would like about Kent I would be more than willing to give you.  As I said Kent is known as the Garden region of England and has a great deal of history.  Well that summs up most of England if you think about it.  
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 11:07:52 PM »
Yep, I'm still in the states (for just a few more weeks now) and will make my move in mid-June.  I'm definately getting my fiance visa over here in the states..we've put our little album together that has proof of our relationship, etc.

I love Kent, I think it's such a beautiful area.  My fiance is from Tonbridge originally and I fell in love with it the first time I went there so we decided to rent a place there to start (he's living there now).  When we buy, we'll probably still stay in the area..Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells.

When do you supposed you'll hear back from the Home Office about your variation?
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 10:39:54 AM »
Hi,

Glad you are obtaining the Fiance visa.  I wish I had done that.  But we had not planned on getting married.  Then when we did decide to get married the Home Office said that we did not need anything special to recieve the change of visa status just show up with the proof of financial and marriage certificate.  Then when we did arrive they changed the rules a day before.   >:(  So far I am not sure when we will hear either way about the variation.  Our MP is working on it with the Home Office.  I hope they work something out.  

I have been to Tunbridge Wells.  It seems like a really nice town.  I think you will like Kent.  It has a lot to offer.  You must be excited.  Soon you will be here.  Plus I hope the weather is nicer when you come.  One of my Husband's friends purchased a new motorbike and now it has rained everyday.  I was joking with him that we were going to hire him out to countries that were in need of rain.  All he had to do was drive around and it would start to rain.  The good news is that everything will be nice and green when you arrive.  Since we live on the beach I hope it warms up more so I can enjoy the hot summer days.  

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 01:45:18 PM »
One of my Husband's friends purchased a new motorbike and now it has rained everyday.  I was joking with him that we were going to hire him out to countries that were in need of rain.  

LOL!  My Dad's a biker, and he always said you could tell when a biker was out for a drive because it would invariably rain.  ;D

Welcome to the site.  Sorry to hear that you're having visa troubles.  I hope everything works out for you.  

Having been one of the poor fools who did it *the hard way* I can't recommend doing your paperwork in the states enough!

Good luck!
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 04:18:59 PM »
Hi Wench,

Nice to meet you.  May I ask how much trouble did you have with Immigrations?  Just wondering.  

Do you ride a bike here in the UK?  

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 05:55:07 PM »
Do you ride a bike here in the UK?

Just a bicycle.  Sigh.   :P

wench seeks harley...hehehe

May I ask how much trouble did you have with Immigrations?

Actually looking back on it, I was extremelly lucky to even get in the country on vacation lol, let alone get my paperwork sorted.  That said, when David and I first got engaged, we wanted to get either a fiancee visa or a school visa so we could spend some more time together before getting married.  When I called the home office up and asked them about these things I was told (FV) that I couldn't apply for one while in the country.  If I went back to America and applied for one, I *might* get one, but they might not let me back in the country for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.  Oh sure.   [smiley=veryangry.gif]  or if I went for the student visa...well I could only study in the country for a year and then I'd have to leave the country, again for a minimum of 2 years.

So we ended up getting married in February instead of in the Fall.

Of course the crap they were telling me later turned out to untrue, but it was horrible at the time, put extra pressure on me and David and meant that *none* of my family or friends were able to come over for the wedding.  bah!

Okay okay, I'm calm now (deep breaths), thinking soothing thoughts and all that.  Still irks me and we've been married for over 2 years now.   [smiley=love.gif]

And don't get me started on the paperwork required for a bank account, getting your license etc.  Drives me crazed! ::)
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 07:41:52 PM »
Hi there MoiNouvelle, Welcome to UKY...

I have not had the pleasure of the visa fun yet...  Tom and I will be getting married in the states, honeymooning for a couple days in NYC to obtain marriage visa together...  then hopefully I will be on my way home to Northumberland, England...  I have not been there for 2 years this coming October...  and I really miss it.  

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 11:59:34 AM »
Hi Wench,

Sorry that happened to you.  But hey nice to know the Home Office has not changed their policy.   :o  That is the problem we are facing.  They told us one thing and then when we got there refused us because what they said and what actually was going on were two different things.  

Ignore if you care not to here is my little HO tangent.  Funny how everyone is suppose to be innocent till proven guilty but with the Home Office I am guilty till proven innocent.  The only way I can prove my innoncence is to remain married to my wonderful Husband but I cannot live with my Husband if they do not grant me a visa.  Another American in the same situation as I said that all the Home Office wants is your money.  Pay for the visa and everything will be alright.  

Glad everything worked out in the end for you.  

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 12:03:02 PM »
Hi MF,

To be honest that is the best way to obtain the visa.  I would call the NYC office and verify everything you have to bring for the visa.  If something is missing they will not grant you the visa.  I have found over here is bring everything and the kitchen sink because you never know they might want to see it and aprove the color.   ;)   OK not that bad but close.  I now carry my marriage certificate with me in my purse.  True.  Becuase it seems I have to show it all the time for silly things.  It gets old.  

Congradulations on your marrige and may the two of you know happiness through each other always.  

• Bo Selecta!!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2003, 04:44:47 AM »
We're a bit late but...

Welcome to the boards!  :)
...We're not bad people.;D

Sponsored Links