Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about UK Mortgages  (Read 1563 times)

• Liked: 36
Question about UK Mortgages
« on: November 15, 2016, 07:02:26 PM »
We are planning on moving to Glasgow or Edinburgh to be closer to my husband's family. For the first year or two we were planning on renting our US house and then if we decide to stay in the UK we will sell it and buy a house in the UK. 

I've read through a lot of posts mentioning that it was hard to get a Mortgage without an ILR.  My question is if my husband, who is a UK citizen will have a salary large enough to qualify for a mortgage, does it matter what type of visa I have?  We would also have enough for a 40-50% deposit.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

• Liked: 163
Re: Question about UK Mortgages
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »
When my wife (UK citizen) and I (US citizen) were looking for a mortgage before I had ILR, the banks we dealt with in England said they'd be happy to give her a mortgage without me on it if she made enough money to qualify for the amount we needed. She didn't, so we waited until I had ILR.

I don't know if much has changed, or if the situation in Scotland is any different, but my guess is if the mortgage is going to be in your husband's name only, it wouldn't matter what your visa status is, but if you want to both be on it, you'd need to have ILR.

I think a few people have used mortgage brokers to find mortgage companies who were willing to deal with people on their pre-ILR visas, so you might check into that.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 10:27:56 AM »
John Charcoal was willing to give me a mortgage when my visa was about to expire on a rip off rate.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
To answer your question, yes you can get a mortgage based on your husband's salary.  In fact, that's preferable to keep US tax compliance simple.  Anytime you can prevent the US citizen from being on the mortgage deeds, the better!

I do not yet hold ILR.  However, I am on the mortgage for our primary residence.  We used a mortgage broker.  While the rate was slightly higher than it would have been if I held ILR it wasn't terrible.  I had a strong 5 year plus working history in the UK on a high salary with no gaps which helped.  I also had more than one year remaining on my current visa (often a requirement).  We had to time things just right.  But it allowed us to keep our other house as an investment property (we would have had to sell to use the equity to qualify only on my husband's salary for our 'new' house).

Mortgages are done quite differently here (isn't everything?).  Next year we will have to apply for a new mortgage and I will hold ILR.  We expect our interest rate to drop (assuming the market stays stable - HA!).

• Liked: 36
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
Does it matter that my husband has dual citizenship?  He has a UK and US passport.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 09:16:23 PM »
Just means he'll have to keep compliant with US taxes.  When you sell the property, it will be subject to capital gains and currency exchange inflation.  Not the end of the world.

Sponsored Links