Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: From NYC to the Greener Pastures of England  (Read 987 times)

• Liked: 9
From NYC to the Greener Pastures of England
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:09:38 AM »
Hello!

I would just like to introduce myself. I am a US citizen that grew up in New England and have lived in New York City for the past 6 years. I met my partner (a British Citizen and now my husband) while he was visiting NYC a couple of years ago.

After spending an amazing week together, he returned to the U.K., and we stayed in contact daily using WhatsApp, FaceTime, text messages, etc. We visited each other monthly from the time we met until he proposed to me in August of 2015!

He moved over to the U.S. to join me in New York City in November of 2015. We went through the immigration process (UK --> US) with a lawyer, and he received a conditional green card in April 2016. (During that process, we got married at City Hall in January of 2016.)

After living in NYC for almost a year, we decided that it was best for us to move to the U.K. to be near his family. So we packed everything up and shipped our furniture in December of 2016. We arrived on the 20th of December to spend Christmas with his family. (I arrived with permission to enter as a visitor for 6-months only.)

We have been living in the U.K. for a month with his family, and it has been an incredible experience! Everyone has been so welcoming and supportive here. I really feel like I am going to enjoy living in the U.K. Managing laundry via an airing cupboard is a bit, strange, coming from the massive laundromat tumble dryers I used in New York City! But the food is no where near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. We've had some lovely meals here. The perception must be changed in the U.S.!

So we were on track to get settled in the U.K.! Sam started a job on the 4th of January at Audi. I have been sending applications out for work; however, I recently discovered that I cannot convert my visitor status to FLR(M) while in the country. (This is exactly what we did for Sam, when he arrived in the U.S.) Therefore, I have booked a flight to return to the U.S. tomorrow (Tuesday the 25th of January), so I can submit my application for a spouse visa. I'll be posting on the visa forum shortly for some advice.

Overall, I am very excited to truly settle down and start living in the U.K. when I return in (hopefully) a few weeks.  :)

Thanks for all your help & support! This looks like an amazing forum, and I just wish I had found it sooner.

Regards,

Justin

• Liked: 533
Re: From NYC to the Greener Pastures of England
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:10:09 AM »
We've had some lovely meals here. The perception must be changed in the U.S.!

Double-edged sword! One of the benefits, as I perceived it, of moving here was that the terrible food would curb the food lust....

Then I discovered flaky pastry...and then digestive biscuits...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
Yeah, the food thing...  <sigh>.  Works both ways.  On a local group, a British woman is planning the standard British trip of Vegas/San Francisco/LA.  Someone else commented on how terrible the food in America is.  I think people end up at tourist places when they travel (if they don't research) and therefore think the food is bad.  I like the food in the UK.  But I do wish they could bring some of the Italian knowledge of pizza and ice cream over!   ;D

• Liked: 107
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »
Then I discovered flaky pastry...and then digestive biscuits...

Literally munching on some digestives as I write this! For me, it's the equivalent of an Italian and Olive Oil....they always ensure they have at least a gallon of it in the house at all times!

Welcome! Whereabouts in the UK have you moved to?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:48:45 PM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:19:41 AM »
Welcome! Whereabouts in the UK have you moved to?

Thank you!! We will be living with family in Cranleigh upon arrival and hoping to settle in West Sussex.  :)

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »
But the food is no where near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. We've had some lovely meals here. The perception must be changed in the U.S.!

(nods) That's what I'd always heard, but going to my Better Half's father's for homemade hotpot and tiddy oggies, and eating out when we go over to visit has cured me of that! At risk of invoking cliches, I can also eat Indian food every day, but where I live currently you have to drive 30-45 minutes to get to a place and it's seriously expensive. But it's fairly close to a World Market store where I can get my mushy peas and Ballymaloe fix, so I deal. Nowhere here to get Eccles cakes, tho . . . . sniff . . .  ;0)
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 12:41:22 PM »
Is there Indian food in North Carolina?   In Charlotte? 

I'll send you Ecle's cake if you send me some grits

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
Is there Indian food in North Carolina?   In Charlotte? 

I'll send you Ecle's cake if you send me some grits

Done! Send me a brand, type, and where it's going and the Grits Fairy will visit you ;0)

There are some awesome Indian places in Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham, and Asheville, and we take advantage of them when I'm working an event in any of those. We currently live about 30 minutes drive outside Charlotte. The closest Indian restaurant averages $13-15 per entree; we go a little bit further to one that's both cheaper and better food. There's a really great Indian grocery store up on that end of town that I hit when I can, so we just cook Indian more often than going out. But I haven't learned how to make everything yet.
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

From NYC to the Greener Pastures of England
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »
PM sent

Ha!  I'm certainly getting the better deal as Ecles cakes are certainly an acquired taste.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »
  Someone else commented on how terrible the food in America is.

This is strange to me, I mean, who doesn't like the food in America?  ???

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
Done! Send me a brand, type, and where it's going and the Grits Fairy will visit you ;0

I've packed up your Ecles cakes and mailed them.  I lost your address so I sent it care of Andy Griffith in Mayberry.  You must know him and his cousin Gomer.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab