Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting A bit ?  (Read 1542 times)

• Good Luck to All where your Journey takes you !!!!
  • Liked: 16
Getting A bit ?
« on: January 23, 2017, 07:34:55 AM »
- Its been awhile since i have been here maybe month, i where i live Retford, i have run in to two serious issues,

- One when i went to do Christmas shopping i would not be served, the lady turned her back on my and i stood there for 5 mins when she eventually told the other cashier to serve me, this was at Clintons cards Retford, i talked to the Mgr at the H.O.about it they sent me a £10,00 voucher but could not explain why. really dont need a voucher i sent it back. I am not sorry for who i am, eventually the cashier took my money for a christmas card. i talked to my wife about it she really did not care. i will leave it at that (there is more) I am starting not to feel positive about work here and also living.i can't make friends here, because my wife want's to know everyone i talk to, very possessive,she knows everything, My photography helps me alleviate some of this my space, looking at things from a different perspective. Very Sad.

For Jimbcoz
- I seem to be having a hard time when applying for jobs either i am to overqualified or have not been here in the country for a long period.i have applied to Boarder security Doncaster,( have to do a test which does not pertain to what i am applying for) Boeing (need to be a resident here for  5yrs), BMW, ( to over qualified they can't pay me what i am asking 28,000) and some other companies. I am dealing with an agency Hays and the guy who i talk says it very slow he has jobs but no final sign off to get people to fill them. (this is in lincoln) i will be in lincoln Tuesday to pick up a lense from LCE so if anyone wants to meet at a coffee shop just to talk let me know
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:49:27 AM by eddyj »
single and traveller
working on myself

• Liked: 4985
Re: Getting A bit ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
Hi Eddy,

So sorry to hear you are struggling.  Unfortunately your employment difficulties are not unusual.  It's really hard for people who have a well-established career back home to break into the UK job market.  But once you get that first job, you'll be set!  Sounds like you are open to most anything, which is great.  You just need to get your foot in the door and get that all important UK job experience.

As for the shop clerk.  Well, there are rude people who like to have power over others across the world.  I'm sorry you came across one.   :-\\\\

It's a tough time of year (for me at least).  Short days, grey clouds, quite cold this year.  It's get me down!  And I know I'm not the only one. 

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »
Keep plugging away man, something will come up.  It's natural to have some strong ups and downs when you move to a new place but you sound like you could use some help from someone trained.  Could you talk to somebody from church or your GP?   Have you looked for a local photography club? 

On the job front, make sure you are on all the job sites, and update your CV on all of them at least once a week.  If you like, send me your CV and I'll see if I can make any suggestions. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 11:42:18 AM »
i will be in lincoln Tuesday to pick up a lense from LCE so if anyone wants to meet at a coffee shop just to talk let me know

Sorry things are not as you would have hoped by now Eddy.
I wish I could meet up to try to cheer you up a bit  :D  [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=clown.gif] but unfortunately I'm nowhere near there.

If you like, send me your CV and I'll see if I can make any suggestions. 

That's really nice of you jimbocz.  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
Mate, you have *only* been here a month! You need to give it some time.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 04:38:56 PM »
Hi Eddy,

So sorry to hear you are struggling.  Unfortunately your employment difficulties are not unusual.  It's really hard for people who have a well-established career back home to break into the UK job market.  But once you get that first job, you'll be set!  Sounds like you are open to most anything, which is great.  You just need to get your foot in the door and get that all important UK job experience.

KFdancer.. tyvm

As for the shop clerk.  Well, there are rude people who like to have power over others across the world.  I'm sorry you came across one.   :-\\\\

It's a tough time of year (for me at least).  Short days, grey clouds, quite cold this year.  It's get me down!  And I know I'm not the only one.
KFdancer, I understand what you are going through. I send my  inner peace and love .  I wish they had a monestar close by, so I can go meditate and read. Brig a Buddhist  without a place to meditate is like having no legs, just to be alone to induce positive energy and to clear my head.
single and traveller
working on myself

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
Keep plugging away man, something will come up.  It's natural to have some strong ups and downs when you move to a new place but you sound like you could use some help from someone trained.  Could you talk to somebody from church or your GP?   Have you looked for a local photography club? 

On the job front, make sure you are on all the job sites, and update your CV on all of them at least once a week.  If you like, send me your CV and I'll see if I can make any suggestions.

Thanks Jimbcoz, tell how and I will forward it  I have  outlook , and thank you for your time and care...Peace to you
single and traveller
working on myself

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
Sorry things are not as you would have hoped by now Eddy.
I wish I could meet up to try to cheer you up a bit  :D  [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=clown.gif] but unfortunately I'm nowhere near there.

That's really nice of you jimbocz.  :)

Larrybee,  thank you very much for the thought,.. and understand your delima...Peace to you
single and traveller
working on myself

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
Mate, you have *only* been here a month! You need to give it some time.

Thank you albatrosses but I am here going three months.. I can attribute for the three weeks around Christmas where it's a bit slow, I just want to work..
single and traveller
working on myself

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »
Thank you albatrosses but I am here going three months.. I can attribute for the three weeks around Christmas where it's a bit slow, I just want to work..

I'm sure you'll find something, but just be aware that it's perfectly normal for it to take several months to find a job.

Also, if you don't have any UK work experience, that may not be helping. A lot of people have found it useful to do some unpaid volunteering as a way to build up some history of working in the UK, before they get a job.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 04:55:53 PM »
Hey Eddy,

Christmas seems to be a tough time for us expats. I was really missing all my friends and family.

Don't let the rude cashier at Clinton cards get you down. To be frank, I don't think the UK does very good customer service at most places. Did you get her name and talk to the store manager? Their home office won't know anything about it if you complained directly to them. (I've worked in customer service for years.) And most Brits will be annoyed by crap customer service but they don't seem to do anything about it.

First jobs here in the UK are hard. My first job was absolute crap and very stressful and minimum wage.
Jim offered to help you out, I would take hime up on that! And check the websites as often as you want and try doing searches in Google as well. That's how I got my current job. Maybe join more than one agency? It can't hurt to have more than one!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
Oh, and I'd you get any response from the companies you can always ask them for feedback! Do it! If there is something you can change its SO useful.

I tried getting a job with Molson Coors for years, they were my first interview in the UK. And they were happy to give me feedback. And I've applied for various positions over the last few years.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »
I just googled Buddhist temple in Doncaster and found one.  Why not go there tomorrow? 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab