Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Super easy peanut butter cookies!  (Read 4916 times)

• Mary McAndrew Paintress
  • Liked: 10
Re: Super easy peanut butter cookies!
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
Your cookies look soooo much better than the ones on the blog! I love peanut butter cookies!
http://www.marymcandrew.com (my art website)
http://www.zazzle.com/marymcandrew* (my shop with my English and American landscapes + nature paintings and photos on note cards + gift items)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »
haha one of my colleagues vehemently HATES cinnamon! I had no never heard of somebody so sincerely hating cinnamon before until then! Is it a brit thing?!
This is an old question but my husband hates cinnamon that much. The smell makes him gag.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2017, 04:20:07 AM »
This is an old question but my husband hates cinnamon that much. The smell makes him gag.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I am so glad mine doesn't, I'd be in trouble lol. I made cooked cinnamon apples for dessert one day and he loved them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
Honestly, I feel like I've definitely come across as a weirdo to people here in more recent times as I've come across so many people (at work, for example) that are Brits that HATE cinnamon that now I feel like I have to ask if I'm making something that's cinnamon heavy whether or not the person hates cinnamon. A few weeks back, I asked my SIL if anybody in her house hated cinnamon (as I was going to make an apple crisp for pudding when we went around for Sunday roast). I wa like "sorry, if this is a weird question buuuut...." and she was like "nope, sounds lovely!" and now I'm feeling like that might've sounded like a totally weird and random question....but my ego couldn't take that risk because if people didn't like it I would instinctively think I was a crap cook/baker lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
Come to think of it, my MIL baked an apple pie for us two weeks ago, and at one point was telling me what she put in it and suddenly looked stricken.  She turned to me and said, "do you like cinnamon?" like it was genuinely a question.  I assured her that I do, and at the time chalked it up to the fact my husband told them I have certain food allergies and now she/they think I'm an incredibly picky eater and go overboard in their efforts to be accommodating.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:41:17 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
Come to think of it, my MIL baked an apple pie for us two weeks ago, and at one point was telling me what she put in it and suddenly looked stricken.  She turned to me and said, "do you like cinnamon?" like it was genuinely a question.  I assured her that I do, and at the time chalked it up to the fact my husband told them I have certain food allergies and now she/they think I'm an incredibly picky eater and go overboard in their efforts to be accommodating.

Wouldn't be shocked if it was more that so many people seem to vehemently HATE cinnamon!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
All of my English family can't stand cinnamon. Husband and I were at Michael's, the craft store, and they had their fall displays with cinnamon wreaths and cinnamon-scented candles. He had to leave the store because he started dry-heaving!

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
All of my English family can't stand cinnamon. Husband and I were at Michael's, the craft store, and they had their fall displays with cinnamon wreaths and cinnamon-scented candles. He had to leave the store because he started dry-heaving!

I am always genuienly shocked when people get physically ill over the scent of cinnamon. Like I get that any smell that's too strong can make a person ill, but I'd honestly not heard of people hating cinnamon so much until I moved here! I just get fascinated by the science!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1891
Super easy peanut butter cookies!
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
Are there any British candies that have a strong cinnamon flavour?

The British can’t hate it all that much, mulled wine is cinnamon, so is pumpkin latte and they love that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:58:28 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »

The British can’t hate it all that much, mulled wine is cinnamon, so is pumpkin latte and they love that.

I don't think you can taste the cinnamon much in mulled wine (from my experience anyways - maybe I'm just not having the good stuff! LOL) and I'm not entirely convinced they "love" PSLs... I think pumpkin is still a relatively new thing for them to enjoy in terms of food.

I remember a few years ago I made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (another reason I LOVE my husband is that he will try anything pretty much and he doesn't automatically get grossed out just because he's not had something before...and he doesn't react in utter shock when I tell him about some US recipe that isn't common in the UK) and asked a friend of ours if he wanted to try one. He was like "EW no." I was like "It's not ew." and his response was "I don't like pumpkin." I asked if he had tried it before and, obviously, he said no LOL. It was like talking to a child. I was like "How do you know then if you've never tried it?!" and he was like "I just know. That's gross. No way." I asked him if he liked gingerbread cookies/spiced cookies around christmas and he said yeah they were okay and I tried to tell him they tasted VERY similar and he was just lke "nope. All set."

His loss!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 57
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2017, 04:37:42 PM »

I don't know that there are many candies here with cinnamon flavor. When I lived in France I used to bring my roomie red hots and big red gum from the US. And my current colleague brings hot tamales back from the US too.

My DH says nothing was cinnamon flavored in Britain when he was growing up, so maybe he didn't develop the taste for it? He likens it to licorice/aniseed (which is wrong, because I hate those but I love cinnamon!).
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
I don't know that there are many candies here with cinnamon flavor. When I lived in France I used to bring my roomie red hots and big red gum from the US. And my current colleague brings hot tamales back from the US too.

My DH says nothing was cinnamon flavored in Britain when he was growing up, so maybe he didn't develop the taste for it? He likens it to licorice/aniseed (which is wrong, because I hate those but I love cinnamon!).

it's definitely a strong flavour like licorice/anise so he's not necessarily wrong in that sense I guess, but it's definitely not the *same* flavour by any means! I could understand, as well, if it was that the cinnamon was burn-y flavour, but that's only when you have intensely cinnamon flavoured things like fireballs and stuff....Apple crisp levels of cinnamon isn't that serious!

I get that people have different tastes, but I just get so curious on why Brits-specifically seem to have not developed the taste buds for cinnamon. Like what about the culture/location/whatever makes their bodies want to dry-heave just smelling it??
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »
Maybe somebody was going around in the 90’s doing the cinnamon challenge?

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »
Maybe somebody was going around in the 90’s doing the cinnamon challenge?

How does that explain PRE-90's? haha
My, how time flies....

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

I am not a fan of Cinnamon but the smell of it doesn't make me ill. When I kissed my wife for the first time, she was chewing big red cinnamon gum. My reaction was, shall we say, memorable.  :P I think that might have been my first time tasting cinnamon too.

My first ever experience over here in the states of 'Fall Fever' was perplexing to me. The obsession with Pumpkin and Cinnamon was definitely new to me and I'm not really a fan of either. Growing up in the UK, those two flavours weren't around in the candy that I was eating at all, and believe me, I ate a lot of it!  ;)  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Sponsored Links