Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Some might call this a mid life crisis  (Read 7025 times)

• Liked: 1892
Some might call this a mid life crisis
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:41:13 PM »
I wanted to tell you guys about a trip I am organising because I'm so excited I can't stand it. 

I'm going to Jekyll Island in Georgia for a week of riding on the beach:

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/JIBE.html

I can hardly imagine taking a trip for a week by myself, doing whatever I want, even better in the states.  I'm going to eat at every single Bojangles and Diary Queen I see.

I can't say my wife is thrilled but she's tolerant so far. Taking a holiday without the whole family is without precedent.

The cheapest flight I can find goes through Istanbul and takes something like 19 hours.

Have you guys ever done anything like that?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Some might call this a mid life crisis
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
Not quite the same, but when my daughter was 10 months I took her to the US for 10 days without my husband.  He wasn't thrilled but knew I needed some sun and time with my family (I had found a last minute CHEAP flight).  He fully supported me though.  He was NOT impressed when I called asking to change my flight to a week later.  hee hee.  He missed us and was lonely at home.  We came home as scheduled.  Now we go in Jan/Feb each year.  It really is the perfect time of year in Florida.

Oooo, 19 hours.  Can you fly direct for a bit more money?  Or is that out of the question as it's not the whole family?

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »
It's £550 versus £750, and the cheaper flight has more luggage allowance.  I'll need every bit of that to carry my kite buggy.  Plus, it just seems cooler to go through Istanbul even if I won't leave the airport. 

I would have happily brought the family but it's in the middle of the school term for the kids.  At least that's the story I am sticking to.

My only concern at this point is that I sent my passport to the Home Office yesterday.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 04:26:42 PM »
Do you think it will be hot in May?  Swimming in the ocean?

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:02:33 PM »
Do you think it will be hot in May?  Swimming in the ocean?

I think we all have different definitions of hot.  Personally, I don't like it one degree over 24C.  I actually much prefer 20/21C.  My husband (thinks) he would like to sit on the sun.  He's actually quite the weenie in the sun...

Ummm, I'm not one to venture into the Atlantic without a wetsuit.  But again, very much an individual thing.  Hot to one person will be freezing to another.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »
When you mentioned Georgia and Istanbul I wasn't sure whether you were talking about Georgia, USA or Georgia the country in the Caucasus.  ::)

It sounds like you've already bought your ticket, but be sure you fly in and out of the same airport in İstanbul. Sabiha Gökçen is on the Anatolian side and Atatürk is on the European side. They are nowhere near each other and İstanbul is not known for smooth-flowing traffic. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 85
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
Nothing mid-life crisis about it! We both go off on short solo holidays as much as logistics allow (usually two-to-three times a year, each, slotted around a couple trips a year together). In fact, Mr Seahorse is off to St Leonard's next Friday, because it's his turn to vacate the flat (I did Whitstable in January), and I cannot wait.

There are few things more blissful than being entirely alone, in your own head, in a new place. Enjoy it. And be sure to return the favour for your wife!

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:05:36 PM »
There are few things more blissful than being entirely alone, in your own head, in a new place.

Yes!  Or even just at home!  Trashy TV, pizza for dinner (husband doesn't eat pizza), paint my toes, pet the cats. HEAVEN!

• Liked: 85
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »
Yes!  Or even just at home!  Trashy TV, pizza for dinner (husband doesn't eat pizza), paint my toes, pet the cats. HEAVEN!

Yessss, exactly! I'm going to get a mountain of Mexican (there's a decent place in my neighbourhood) and run through every one-star horror film on Netflix and Amazon, while sitting under a pile of kittens. Shall be pushing him out the door next Friday. Bye, Felicia!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
every one-star horror film on Netflix and Amazon

Sharknado 4 is out!

Go, go, go, go, go, go, go
Run away from the sharknado
It's your greatest foe, foe, foe
Don't wanna get eaten by the sharknado
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 08:46:20 AM »
when my daughter was 10 months I took her to the US

Ten month old on a long flight alone. I'm sweating typing it.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
Ten month old on a long flight alone. I'm sweating typing it.

Easy peasy!  It was flights between 1 and 2 that were tough.  Easy again now that she's a bit older (nearly 3).

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »
Nothing mid-life crisis about it! We both go off on short solo holidays as much as logistics allow (usually two-to-three times a year, each, slotted around a couple trips a year together). In fact, Mr Seahorse is off to St Leonard's next Friday, because it's his turn to vacate the flat (I did Whitstable in January), and I cannot wait.

There are few things more blissful than being entirely alone, in your own head, in a new place. Enjoy it. And be sure to return the favour for your wife!

Yeah, it's partly your fault for telling me this when we talked.  At first I thought it was completely nuts, but it just gnawed at me that I never get to do what I want on my holidays .  Then my boss went ice climbing in Canada and I thought "If he can do it, why can't I "

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »
When you mentioned Georgia and Istanbul I wasn't sure whether you were talking about Georgia, USA or Georgia the country in the Caucasus.  ::)

It sounds like you've already bought your ticket, but be sure you fly in and out of the same airport in İstanbul. Sabiha Gökçen is on the Anatolian side and Atatürk is on the European side. They are nowhere near each other and İstanbul is not known for smooth-flowing traffic. ;)

I haven't bought the tickets quite yet and thanks for that info.  I love Istanbul, but I don't want to try to get from one airport to another.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »

How about this for a horror story: a few Easters ago the wife and kids were going to France and my plans for the empty house were much like yours.  Do whatever the hell I wanted. 

About a week before departure day, she told me that her cousins were coming to visit WHILE SHE WOULDN'T EVEN BE THERE and They would be staying in my house and I would be in charge of entertaining them. 

Harsh words were exchanged.

Sponsored Links