Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: new laptop -only connects to internet, ermmm... intermittently  (Read 4638 times)

• Liked: 585
new laptop -only connects to internet, ermmm... intermittently
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
Hi guys...I hope maybe one of you clever clogs can give me some advice!

I recently bought a brand-new laptop, but am having difficult using it because it will only connect to the web occasionally. All of the other devices in our house are working fine, and the new laptop does show that it's connected to our Wi-Fi, but 9 times out of 10 I get a 'can't connect' message when I try to use the internet. On the 10th time, it might connect, but only stays connected for a few minutes, then drops out again... all the while, the little symbol that shows I'm connected to Wi-Fi is showing that everything's fine.

I also tried using an Ethernet cable, and got the same results.

I am not technical at all, but if anyone has any advice, I'd be willing to try it. Thanks!

• Liked: 3595
Re: new laptop -only connects to internet, ermmm... intermittently
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:35:43 PM »
Is it a Mac or a Windows laptop?

I had a similar problem recently when trying to connect to a network while I was away - it was self-assigning an IP address which mean it would 'connect' to the network but couldn't actually access the Internet.

It may be that you need to renew the DHCP lease for the connection or change the DNS servers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
it's Windows...

I don't know what DHCP or DNS mean, but I can try doing some googling.. thanks for the reply.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 06:02:43 AM »
When you say you have tried a cable, is it the same cable used with another device which works welll?

Also, when you do finally connect, have you tried doing an online speedcheck?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:10:15 AM »
When you say you have tried a cable, is it the same cable used with another device which works welll?

Also, when you do finally connect, have you tried doing an online speedcheck?

Yes to the first question, no to the 2nd... what will the results of a speedcheck show me, and can anyone recommend a reliable one?

• Liked: 223
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:43:32 AM »
Yes to the first question, no to the 2nd... what will the results of a speedcheck show me, and can anyone recommend a reliable one?

We use fast.com to check the internet speed.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
That's funny because we have a computer that does the same thing.  It always shows that it is connected with the little symbol, but the browser sometimes says it is not connected.  Sometimes you can manually disconnect and reconnect the wifi and it will work.  I don't have a solution though, I've been meaning to fix it for a while. 

I don't believe a speed check will tell you anything, especially if you have eliminated any wifi problems by trying the network cable. I think KSand is once again on the right track, the problem is your network settings or your drivers for your network card.  I would go to the manufacturers site and be sure you have all the latest drivers.  Also make sure you have all the latest windows updates.  Finally, call your internet provider to be sure that your network settings are all correct to be compatible with your router.  That might mean changes to your DHCP and DNS server , but the tech support people will be able to help you with that.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
 Yeah, usually if other devices connect and one doesn't, it's to do with the internet/network settings on your device/laptop - something in your settings is blocking the connection.

The other day the internet stopped working on my laptop for no reason. It was still fine on all other devices - I changed the DNS server addresses from the ISP/router server to the standard Google one and it works fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »
I don't believe a speed check will tell you anything, especially if you have eliminated any wifi problems by trying the network cable.

Gather data.  Is the signal steady/fluctuating?

I thought you were a Trekkie....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Gather data.  Is the signal steady/fluctuating?

I thought you were a Trekkie....

Dude, Ksand agrees with me and she's the smartest person here.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 12:48:45 PM »
My mobile and my laptop have a similar issue with our router. They connect but can have issues staying connected.

My husband usually resets the router and that helps. He also changed the security on it. I would have to double check to what. It uses a password we created, not the long string of random characters from the router. I used to have an iPhone and it had so much trouble.

He's also changed the channel it uses and that helps for awhile. There are a lot of wifi networks in a small area, we live in a bank of town houses.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 06:16:46 PM »
my husband bought a new laptop from pc world that had this issue, apparently it was a known issue with certain hp laptops which was why the model was on such a good sale! luckily they allowed us to return it. seems wrong that they were allowed to sell it in the first place without disclosing the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
Dude, Ksand agrees with me and she's the smartest person here.

Florida State University grad here Mayberry....that's like the second best state university in all of Florida.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
Thanks everyone!

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
Florida State University grad here Mayberry....that's like the second best state university in all of Florida.

Oh yeah, I graduated from UNCC, known locally as "Uncle Ned's Community College"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab