Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: IVF on NHS  (Read 1902 times)

• Liked: 7
IVF on NHS
« on: March 14, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
Hi,

A quick question. My wife is a USC and I am a brit. She is currently still on FLR and can apply for ILR at the end of next year.

Unfortunately we have been unable to have a baby over the past few years of trying and the doctor wants to refer us for IVF. I am just wondering if she is eligible for funding on the NHS?

She has paid her NHS surcharge...I just wondered if there were any exemptions?

Thanks

Thanks,

• Liked: 342
Re: IVF on NHS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
Hi,

A quick question. My wife is a USC and I am a brit. She is currently still on FLR and can apply for ILR at the end of next year.

Unfortunately we have been unable to have a baby over the past few years of trying and the doctor wants to refer us for IVF. I am just wondering if she is eligible for funding on the NHS?

She has paid her NHS surcharge...I just wondered if there were any exemptions?

When the NHS funding changes came in, the law said no discretionary treatment, such as IVF, funded on an IHS.

When the IHS came in, they didn't implement that 'no IVF' part, but I read they are going to do that from next month. I'll have a look for that link, so that you can read this yourself.

However, once your wife has ILR, she can use the NHS on the same terms as a resident Brit who meets the NHS IVF funding conditions for that country.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:00:32 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »
"The government’s response summarises what respondents told us about the proposals and sets out what the government now intends to do to extend charging rules to wider areas of NHS, so that visitors and migrants make more of a contribution for the care that they access This includes:"

"removing assisted reproduction services from those that a person who has paid the immigration health surcharge can access without charge"
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/overseas-visitors-and-migrants-extending-charges-for-nhs-services

From the link on that page, on page 25 -

"Assisted Reproduction

4.9. We also intend to change the law from April 2017 so that overseas visitors who are exempt from charge under surcharge arrangements will be charged for assisted reproduction services that are provided."   

It was in the 2014 Act, so will be easy to change.

Maybe try and see if you can get funding approved before the law change?

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 05:37:12 PM »
If you are not eligible for NHS treatment, and time is limited, you may want to look into going abroad for IVF.  My wife and I are headed to a clinic in Norway for a consult in a few weeks.  Even with flights and accommodation we are looking at about £3000 all in, and they will work around us.  My wife found a few other clinics in the Czech Republic as well, but we were not able to use them (apparently in the Czech Republic only straight couples may have fertility treatment, who knew).

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
That is really strange.  I'd like to think I know the Czechs pretty well and that doesn't sound right.  They are pretty broad minded and not religious in the slightest.  They also love to get naked at any opportunity. 

Curious.  Are you sure you aren't confusing them with the Poles?   They are mostly a bunch of religious bigots.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
We were surprised as well.  But their laws are their laws.  They will not treat single women either in the Czech Republic.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab