Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: hello all  (Read 2805 times)

• Liked: 0
hello all
« on: June 05, 2002, 09:35:23 PM »
hi  :)
    former essex boy here, moved to bucks about a year ago from romford. looking to move to the USA fairly soon with wife islandgirl - visa permitting! i wonder if there's a US-Brit site :)

just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this site, it's been quite difficult for her since being away from the US, and she's been so much happier since meeting you good people. which makes my life alot easier too  :D even though i can't get on the pc these days  ;)

kevin

Re: hello all
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 09:40:18 PM »
Hiya Kevin!

Good to hear from you (finally).  Islandgirl has told us so much about you, hehe.  All lies, though.

Check out the new Spouse House board.  It's all blokes so far and I'm sure they'll make you feel right at home.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 10:01:25 PM »
Welcome Kevin! :)

If no one in the Spouse House has mentioned it yet: http://www.british-expats.com/phpBB/

(hug)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 11:12:10 PM »
Hi Kevin!

My BF lives in Chadwell Heath!  I actually love going into Romford whenever I'm over there (I'm still in the States waiting to move in August).

Sorry if I missed it posted elsewhere, but where in the States are you two moving to?  Is she going "home" or are you starting out somewhere new?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 11:56:37 PM »
hi  :)
    former essex boy here, moved to bucks about a year ago from romford. looking to move to the USA fairly soon with wife islandgirl - visa permitting! i wonder if there's a US-Brit site :)

just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this site, it's been quite difficult for her since being away from the US, and she's been so much happier since meeting you good people. which makes my life alot easier too  :D even though i can't get on the pc these days  ;)

kevin

Hi Kevin!  Best of luck on moving!  

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2002, 01:27:29 AM »
hi scrumpy - if islandgirl's been saying bad things about me... they're probably true, hehe :)  thanks for the spouse house (good name) section, i shall check it out - hopefully lots of info on beer, cars, footie... did i mention beer? :)

hello marlespo - don't think i've seen that site, will check it out - thanks for the link. it helps that we're hopefully going to be staying with some brits to start off with!

hey peedal - chadwell heath, eh! never really spent too much time in that place, but seemed ok... romford is turning into a monster! every time i return there's at least 10 new shops, 3 new pubs and 5 new clubs :) looking forward the move? where in the usa are you from? she's from hawaii - far too hot for my liking! hoping for somewhere a bit cooler like new jersey (friends live there), but hope to look around some more.

any recommendations for other english-type weather places, anyone? :)

thanks elle - moving is _stressful_ :( trying not to worry about it too much, though.

btw does anyone know how much it could cost, approx, to move the contents of a small house to the USA??

kevin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2002, 01:40:23 AM »
Kevin,

Well, I'm in Florida - [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=sweatdrop.gif] - so islandgirl and I have probably heard all the same stuff about our "beautiful" weather (she says, less than a week into hurricane season...).

When we were thinking of my boyfriend moving here, we were looking into Seattle, Washington.  Seemed like the weather was most comparable, though still probably not as cold in the winter (a good thing, maybe?).  Still kind of looking at it for some time in the future, if we ever get rich enough to have a place in both countries!!

Best of luck with everything, and do keep us updated!

- Benjamin Franklin

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2002, 01:58:08 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Well finally!!!!  About time you joined up...   ;) This is NYState of Mind, a.k.a. Yvonne.  The woman who is going to take your lady out for a day of shopping (not an afternoon) with the gals - SOON.  Oh, I think Old Bond and Regent Streets shall do, don't you Lorene?  ;)  Make sure the credit card payments are up-to-date.....

Looking forward to meeting you at the upcoming soriee..  Hey Lorene, I'm sure Glen and Kevin will have lots to chat about....

Cheers.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2002, 12:27:32 AM »
hey peedal - you must be looking forward to enjoying our lovely English weather, every day! i think i've forgotten what the sun & blue sky look like :) Seattle was a possible for us too, but initially would prefer to be 'nearer' to the UK (cheaper and shorter flights, etc). apparently alot of hawaiians move to seattle according to the one known as islandgirl.

never been to florida - aside from hurricanes, what's it like living there. seem to recall the state having a big problem with mosquitos :( at least a few years ago anyway. good luck with your move too. are you planning on staying in Chadwell Heath or going elsewhere?

yvonne, hello! lorene has told me alot about you :) all day shopping in london? oh look, all lorene's credit cards have expired, i must cut them in half straight away! likewise look forward to meeting you, glenn, and others. is glenn enjoying the football? belgium not safe yet :)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2002, 01:27:49 AM »
Still BIG problems with mosquitos in Florida, I'm afraid.  I WON'T be missing that!!

We're going to be moving to Kent, actually.  Around Gravesend.  That's where most of my BF's work is, so it makes sense, really.  Right now he's doing that hour-long commute, and that will NOT be cool once I'm sitting at home waiting for him with dinner on the table!! ;D

I understand the East Coast draw - shaves 4-5 hours off that flight time back to the UK, doesn't it!  My suggestion would be NJ if you have friends there.  Hard enough starting off all new again without having some sort of support system in place.

Ahh - I can't wait until the day I've forgotten what the sun looks like...!!!! 8)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2002, 01:29:25 AM by peedal »

- Benjamin Franklin

• having one of those days...
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2002, 01:11:45 PM »
is THAT where my credit cards went???   :o  gee, it's a good thing i still have my handy-dandy US american express (don't leave home without it!) that's still in my maiden name and registered in hawaii  ;D
unlike SOME people, who go crazy at HMV's BOGOF dvd sale.

peedal, how can you say you're looking forward to the day when you've forgotten what the sun looks like?  i've passed that point and now wonder what it would be like to feel warm.  i think there was only 3 days last year when i went out in a t-shirt and shorts, only to freeze at home when hubby dashed in to put on the A/C full blast.  :P

btw honey, who spent ages on the pc when you bought 'grand theft auto 3'? HA!  i had to set up my laptop to get my e-mail!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2002, 04:53:20 PM »
Well, seeing as it's been in the mid 90s every day now for what seems like MONTHS - yeah, a bit of gray and dreary would fit very well right now!  Never been much of a sun-bunny anyway, so I really don't think I'll miss it.  I was definitely born and raised in the wrong place!

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 24
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2002, 01:33:45 PM »
Hi Kevin,

There is another Brit in the US site here:

http://www.britsintheus.com/

If you click their Expats link on the left, you get a page listing of a lot of other sites.  :)

Welcome, and I wish you success in your move.  :)

Leah

Edit: Another Brit site in the US is http://www.britishinamerica.com
« Last Edit: June 13, 2002, 04:11:09 PM by admin »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab