Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visiting the UK  (Read 2140 times)

• Liked: 2
Visiting the UK
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:52:12 PM »
How often can you visit your sig.
other in the UK from the US with out customs giving you problems. With a round trip ticket proof of ties to the US. Etc.Making visits of a couple weeks every few months.  Is this possible to do while getting everything in order for a formal fiance or spousal visa?
Does anyone have a memory of how many times they visited  their loved one without  problems?

Thanks in advance.

SunStar

• Liked: 3595
Re: Visiting the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:49:31 AM »
Basically, there's no set period, but if it looks like you are trying to use the visitor visa to live in the UK without a proper visa, you could be refused entry.

So, they are on the look out for:
- someone who has spent a lot of time in the UK on many visits
- someone who spends more time in the UK than in their home country
- someone who does not seem to have ties in their home country to return to (job, home, family etc.)

The general rule of thumb is to spend at least as much time outside the UK than you spent inside... so if you visit for 3 weeks, go back to the US for 3 weeks or more. If you visit for 5 months, stay away for 5 months or more before coming back.

Also, the shorter your visit each time, the better... because it's more common for people to only be able to take a short vacation to the UK, rather than a trip of several months... the longer you try to stay in one go, the more suspicious it will look.

So, when you come as a visitor, you need to be able to show:
- a return ticket within 6 months
- enough money to support your trip without working
- evidence of a job to return to (letter from employer stating you have been given time off and what date you are coming back to work)
- evidence of a home to return to (valid rental agreement or mortgage statement)
- evidence of any other ties to the US that you must return for (family to take care of, appointments, interviews or other commitments, things like other trips or weddings or parties etc. you will attend - things like that)

It's also good to show you know the visa rules - that you can't work as a visitor (in any capacity, even online, remotely or unpaid), you can't stay more than 6 months and that you must return to the US to apply for a fiancé or spousal visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:03 AM »
Basically, there's no set period, but if it looks like you are trying to use the visitor visa to live in the UK without a proper visa, you could be refused entry.

- someone who does not seem to have ties in their home country to return to (job, home, family etc.)

The general rule of thumb is to spend at least as much time outside the UK than you spent inside... so if you visit for 3 weeks, go back to the US for 3 weeks or more. If you visit for 5 months, stay away for 5 months or more before coming back.

Also, the shorter your visit each time, the better... because it's more common for people to only be able to take a short vacation to the UK, rather than a trip of several months... the longer you try to stay in one go, the more suspicious it will look.

- evidence of a job to return to (letter from employer stating you have been given time off and what date you are coming back to work)
- evidence of a home to return to (valid rental agreement or mortgage statement)
- evidence of any other ties to the US that you must return for (family to take care of, appointments, interviews or other commitments, things like other trips or weddings or parties etc. you will attend - things like that)

It's also good to show you know the visa rules - that you can't work as a visitor (in any capacity, even online, remotely or unpaid), you can't stay more than 6 months and that you must return to the US to apply for a fiancé or spousal visa.

This site is amazing for this kind of info. I am so happy I found it. I really appreciate your lengthy answer and it really helps me.

Thank you so much!!

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:31:16 AM »

So helpful! I'm traumatized by the last detention in customs that I had....I'm going to visit for our 1st wedding anniversary in May. This is exactly the advice I came in the group to ask about.  Thanks!

• Liked: 210
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:31:56 PM »
Yes, if you go for a long visit (like I did, for two months), expect some harsh grilling and accusations of lying. Irony is that at the time I had absolutely no intention of ever going back to the UK again!
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab