Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How common is a tiny hotel fridge?  (Read 2015 times)

• Liked: 1891
Re: How common is a tiny hotel fridge?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
Yeah, I think we don't want to know why it lasts so long now!

I'm almost certain that the half baked baguettes they sell that last for several months are packed in an inert gas.  Same with the bags of lettuce. 

Not gross at all, but I'm sure there are other things we don't want to know about. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »
I've had seven addresses in the UK and I've never had an American fridge freezer, nor room for one. 
I've had just the tall fridges, which are smaller than US fridges, but very adequate and then under counter fridges with miniscule freezers,  which I hated.

Hubby designed our house (he works in architecture) and we both designed the kitchen and we still don't have room for an American sized fridge/freezer.  We do have a tall fridge/freezer, which is a "built in" one.  This amused my Mum to no end! She laughs at the size of it and the fact that she didn't even think we had a fridge/freezer. 

We do have a medium sized larder freezer in the garage which the inlaws gave us which is useful for our allotment glut.   (They have 2 huge freezers and an American fridge/freezer, for 2 people! And yet when we see them out randomly, it's in a grocery store  ???)

I have also just acquired an undercounter fridge going free from a friend in the garage, which is being converted at the moment into a fermentation chamber for home brewing. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:00:39 AM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »

I have also just acquired an undercounter fridge going free from a friend in the garage, which is being converted at the moment into a fermentation chamber for home brewing.

Tell your husband how lucky he is!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
We're in the process of finding a new flat and a lot of places where we are (Canterbury) are too old and small.  Our kitchen now has what I consider a normal fridge although it's much smaller than most of my American friends' fridges, but every place we're considering has an under counter fridge.  It seems to be normal here.

As others have said, often you can only buy groceries a few days in advance anyway.  This week when we were looking at bread, literally every loaf was dated the next day.  You only really get a day or two beyond the date.

Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »
I guess it helps that you don't have to refrigerate the butter and eggs.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »
I guess it helps that you don't have to refrigerate the butter and eggs.

I am always amazed at the things my parents keep in the fridge.  I get that it's Florida and humid...  but still.   ::)

• Liked: 584
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »
I have a normal-sized fridge... not giant American side-by-side, and not small under-counter.  Somewhere in between.  We do our food shopping every other day, so don't really need anything larger.  The freezer, though, is just 2 drawers, and I would like to get a 2nd freezer.

Oh, I forgot... we also have a small beer fridge, which sits on top of the normal fridge and holds maybe a dozen bottles of beer.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »
I have a normal-sized fridge... not giant American side-by-side, and not small under-counter.  Somewhere in between.  We do our food shopping every other day, so don't really need anything larger.  The freezer, though, is just 2 drawers, and I would like to get a 2nd freezer.

Oh, I forgot... we also have a small beer fridge, which sits on top of the normal fridge and holds maybe a dozen bottles of beer.

When we lived in Texas my wife had a beer fridge that she called "the cave" because it was where she aged her cheeses. The recipes often ended up saying the cheese should be aged in a cave, or somewhere with a cave's temperature and humidity. (She also used to keep an open box of water in that fridge to get the humidity up)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 111
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 06:05:32 PM »
I'm now starting to think my three-bedroom detached house I owned in Bolton in 1999 was rather "posh". It had an integrated garage, a double driveway (it actually fit three cars), a dedicated utility room with a sink and a washer and separate dryer and a tall fridge and freezer and dishwasher in the kitchen. Those two had doors that hid them. My husband chose the house for me (I still lived in Wokingham at the time) because the builder said it was "American-styled". I guess it was, now that I think about it. I guess things weren't all "grim up north" after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
I am always amazed at the things my parents keep in the fridge.  I get that it's Florida and humid...  but still.   ::)
You have to refrigerate eggs purchased at the grocery store in America because they are sanitized and their natural protective coating is removed during the process. The wax they put on doesn't do the same job and they will go bad very quickly.

Weird, huh?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 21
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
I think they're fairly common. My husband's grandparents live in a tiny bungalow  and also have a tiny fridge under their kitchen counter. They can only refrigerate the essentials. As there's such little storage space in their kitchen, they can't really stock up on a lot. They only buy as needed and don't do big grocery trips. They don't think twice of it.

I'd hate not having space for soft drinks (totally first world issue, but yes, I do like my cold drinks), so I consider ourselves lucky we have a larger fridge! We have an integrated kitchen with a tall fridge. The freezer part below has 5 drawer compartments. It's a sufficient size and we usually have no problem fitting everything in, unless we do a REALLY big grocery shop.

My sister and BIL back in the US refrigerate nearly EVERYTHING. I guess they like rock solid peanut butter  ::)

4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 08:18:16 PM »
From what i am reading the UK may be switching to American style egg santitization at some point.
Bryan Jamison

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »
From what i am reading the UK may be switching to American style egg santitization at some point.

Not in my house. I go outside and pull eggs from the coop. Fresh as can be  ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »

I hope not.  The eggs are much better here.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
I hope not.  The eggs are much better here.
Completely agree. Why would they change when eggs here have a much longer shelf life?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab