Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Last Meal in the US?  (Read 1109 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Last Meal in the US?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »
I'd like to make Taco Bell my last meal, but my husband would probably roll his eyes until they fell out of his head  ;D This last trip we had our last meal at the baseball stadium!

hahahah Taco Bell is always our last meal! I rarely get a chance to work it into our days with all the other amazing things to eat....so we just stuff ourselves on Taco bell before we go hahaha That's actually usually our last "lunch" meal at least.

Our last proper meal is usually at someplace local in my town. For some reason, I always end up getting some sort of buffalo mac and cheese it seems! That or an alfreddo. I think it's because it's difficult to find proper alfreddo over here as well as proper mac and cheese and proper buffalo chicken so if I can combine as much as possible, I'm a happy camper :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
When I visited the US, I would spend my last night in my hometown and my father would take me to his partner's restaurant before taking me to the airport since it was on the way there. I used to groan outwardly to him because despite he and his partner being together for over 20 years, she wasn't my step-mother and he would insist I would have to say goodbye to her. That part I hated but I absolutely adored her food. She would go into the kitchen and personally make me a plate of huevos ranchero with her very tasty red chile salsa, refried beans with cheese and rice with corn, carrots and peas. She would always make her son go and prepare me fresh-squeezed orange juice (you know he probably hated every squeeze as he didn't like my father for the same reason I didn't like his mother! Lol) so you know it tasted even better! I always secretly loved the attention she gave me and she was frankly an amazing cook. Her restaurant has been going strong for 40 years for a reason.

My family will be moving back to England in a few years but I'll be leaving Houston now since my father has passed away and I have no reason to go to my hometown and have that meal I would outwardly complain about. I can't say I'll really miss much now but I'll probably eat at Pappadeaux's at IAH and eat oysters on the half shell with some champagne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great post!  I can imagine your dad's girlfriend making you some lovely food to try and please you.  I also love the orange juice flavoured with awkward bitterness from her son.  All that would make a great movie.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
I can't remember what was my last meal before moving here, but I have a visual reminder of my final stateside meal after my last visit!  My first time trying grits!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

What exactly are we looking at?  I see some shrimp, and it looks like egg? 

That's not what grits look like in my house, more of a plain bowl for breakfast with butter and pepper. 

Not that I'm dissing your experience, I'd eat that up as well!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
What exactly are we looking at?  I see some shrimp, and it looks like egg? 

That's not what grits look like in my house, more of a plain bowl for breakfast with butter and pepper. 

Not that I'm dissing your experience, I'd eat that up as well!

Having never had grits before, I had no idea what to expect... this was in a restaurant in Dallas Fort Worth airport, and although I'd call those prawns (they're huge!), the menu called them shrimp & grits.  There was cheese in the grits, and lots of bits of bacon sprinkled over.  No idea if this is authentic or not... but it tasted wonderful!

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 01:32:58 PM »
That does sound good, but I never cook mine as a side dish.  I just eat them like porridge

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab