Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: MGS as a visitor  (Read 1237 times)

• Liked: 2
MGS as a visitor
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »
Hi there,
My fiance and I are flying to California next week to get married in SF and will be applying the very next day for a Spousal Visa. I've got everything requested for the application. My concern is that whilst I've been traveling back and forth visiting him the last 6 years, I've had access to the NHS. I went to a clinic a few years ago, where they assigned me an NHS number, and was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I had emergency surgery in Northampton and didnt need chemo or radiation because they got it all. My question is.. I'm going over the Spousal Visa questions and they ask if one has used the NHS, and of course I'm going to be honest. Will this prevent me from getting my Spousal Visa approved?

• Liked: 6110
Re: MGS as a visitor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »
Hi there,
My fiance and I are flying to California next week to get married in SF and will be applying the very next day for a Spousal Visa. I've got everything requested for the application. My concern is that whilst I've been traveling back and forth visiting him the last 6 years, I've had access to the NHS. I went to a clinic a few years ago, where they assigned me an NHS number, and was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I had emergency surgery in Northampton and didnt need chemo or radiation because they got it all. My question is.. I'm going over the Spousal Visa questions and they ask if one has used the NHS, and of course I'm going to be honest. Will this prevent me from getting my Spousal Visa approved?

If you have more than 500gbp of unpaid NHS debt then they cannot issue the visa.

Emergency treatment in the ER is free to visitors but I'm not sure that your emergency surgery would be. I'd assume not.
You should contact the hospital to clarify and either pay any money that is owed (you may have to insist) or have them send concrete evidence that no payment is due.
You will probably have to postpone your application.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:42:01 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:47:44 PM »
Is it possible that they would allow me to come up with a monthly payment option where my spouse and I can pay off whatever is owed? Has anyone had experience with this? I'm sure that I would owe more than £500 for my surgery and other testing..

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
Is it possible that they would allow me to come up with a monthly payment option where my spouse and I can pay off whatever is owed? Has anyone had experience with this? I'm sure that I would owe more than £500 for my surgery and other testing..

Hopefully.  The best thing to do would be to give them a call on Monday. I don't know if they would speak to your fiance because of confidentiality.
But remember that as long as the debt remains over 500gbp, there is no point in applying because your application could only be refused.
Glad you're all clear by the way.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
Very glad to hear you are cancer free.

Definitely be honest on the application, as they'll see the treatment when they run checks on your application so there is no hiding from it.  Not declaring it could cause problems.

But unfortunately you will need to delay applying until you have everything sorted and the debt cleared.  Hopefully it will be easy to claim against your insurance?  Assuming you still have the same carrier and policy.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
If you have more than 500gbp of unpaid NHS debt then they cannot issue the visa.

Emergency treatment in the ER is free to visitors but I'm not sure that your emergency surgery would be. I'd assume not.

No, it isn't. Just the stuff in the A&E is free, but operations, stay on wards, aftercare, medication etc all needs to be paid for.
Have a look at number 3 to see why your visa will be refused.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/frustrating-the-intentions-of-the-immigration-rules-rfl07-paragraph-32011/frustrating-the-intentions-of-the-immigration-rules-rfl07-paragraph-32011

Did you have insurance and can you still claim on that?

UKVI have access to NHS records, so it will have to be declared anyway. If you don't, it will be a ban for 10 years.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:15:36 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »

No, it isn't. Just the stuff in the A&E is free, but operations, stay on wards, aftercare, medication etc all needs to be paid for.
Have a look at number 3 to see why your visa will be refused.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/frustrating-the-intentions-of-the-immigration-rules-rfl07-paragraph-32011/frustrating-the-intentions-of-the-immigration-rules-rfl07-paragraph-32011

Did you have insurance and can you still claim on that?

UKVI have access to NHS records, so it will have to be declared. If you don't it will be a ban for 10 years.

Thanks Sirius. Thought not. 

• Liked: 342
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:20:39 PM »
But unfortunately you will need to delay applying until you have everything sorted and the debt cleared. 

I agree. I have seen people set up a repayment plan with the NHS and then apply for a visa, but say that they still got refused as the debt hasn't been paid in full. You need your insurers to pay for everthing in full, then you can add the receipt to your visa application.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:41:38 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab