Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How far from work do you live and how long does it take to get there?  (Read 1447 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi everyone!!
 I'll be in the UK on Saturday and my fiance` and I will be househunting starting on Monday. Our bases are about 40 miles apart and both are off of the M40, just in opposite directions. I'm from Texas, so I'm used to driving 30 min- 1 hour to get o work and he's used to walking to work (what's that? I ususally drive from store to store even if the stores share a arking lot, which he thinks is funny...lol.)

Thanks!
Amy

• Liked: 1
Re: How far from work do you live and how long does it take to get there?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 12:26:57 PM »
i'd say i live a couple miles from work, and it takes me 30 min by tube to get here.

hubby works about 20 min walk from us.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 12:28:11 PM »
I could walk to and from work if I had to.  I could also take a bus as one passes right in front of my house and the bus depot is about 5 min walk from my office.  But my husband drives me and it really depends on traffic - could be 10 minutes, could be 20!  ::)

Before I was working I was walking everywhere I could.  I haven't driven at all in the UK since moving here in 2002.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:34:30 PM »
Close to 3 miles uphill.  I take a bus and it takes about 20 minutes with rush hour traffic.  No way I'd drive it - it's in town centre and there's nowhere to park round here.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 12:37:34 PM »
112 miles each day.  Somedays it's 1 hour 20 minutes on the train -- others -- 2 hours.

BUT -- that's to change come January!!! 20 minutes MAX on the bus!!! 

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 12:47:32 PM »
I live about a mile away from the city centre. I usually take a bus as it's too dark to walk through some the areas I would have to walk through and the bus ride usually takes about 5-10 minutes. I usually walk during the summer when it's lighter and that takes me around 20-30 minutes, depending on how tired I am.  :)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 01:51:25 PM »
It takes me up to 10 min to get to the mainline train station in the mornings, then 30 min to get to London on the train, up to 15min by bus to the stop near my work, and finally a 5 min walk from the stop to my office.

It isn't a too bad of a comute actually.  :)

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 01:56:03 PM »
It takes me about 40 minutes on the tube (Jubliee line) to get from Northwest London to Canary Wharf (East London Docklands area).

bvamin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 02:15:32 PM »
Takes 30 minutes on the bus (which takes the most random route!).  If I drove it, it'd probably take about 15 mins, but parking would be a huge problem as I'm right in the middle of the city centre.

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 06:02:42 PM »
I work at the library on the other side of the town centre, about half a mile away. It takes me about 15 minutes to walk there.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 06:15:12 PM »
At present, it takes me 45 seconds to get to work (3 doors down).......but I have had commutes of 86 miles round trip, each way taking me 45 minutes (all motorway or dual carriage).

That commute reminded me of driving Texas roads ;)

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 07:59:49 PM »
About 45 minutes on the train, and I think it's about 20 miles. Driving it would be about the same.

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 08:42:56 PM »
1.4 miles by road, a little shorter on foot. Less than five mins by car, and about 20 min on foot.

• York Interweb
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 12:18:26 AM »
I discussed this on another thread.  I live in New York City.  It takes me about 1 and 1/2 hours to get to work by subway (one way). This is pretty usual for a New Yorker.  My fiance, who is in York, thinks it is an incredibly long commute, and can't believe how early I wake up in the morning.

He has a job that requires him to drive around to different houses, but I'd say his initial commute from his job to his first client of the day never takes him more than 20 minutes.  He actually goes home for lunch sometimes.

Do Brits generally tend to have shorter commutes than Americans? Perhaps because America is just so big.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 12:20:53 AM by sweetpeach »

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 12:19:55 PM »
Do Brits generally tend to have shorter commutes than Americans? Perhaps because America is just so big.

I think it all depends on where you live. If you don't live near a major city (out in the country) then you're likely to have a long commute. I could get a job anywhere in Leeds but since I don't drive, it's more practical to work in the city centre. When I was living in Phoenix my commute was 30 minutes and that was on the other side of town. I think 1.5 hours is a huge commute. I wouldn't do it. More power to ya, girl!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab