Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DSo you drive an American left-hand drive in the UK?  (Read 767 times)

• Liked: 0
DSo you drive an American left-hand drive in the UK?
« on: November 30, 2004, 12:30:50 PM »
Hi there!
  I'm shipping my vehicle over and my family is petrified that I will be sought out by hooligans on the streets becuse I am obviously American driving my vehicle. Was just wondering if any of y'all have experienced this so as to put their [and my] mind to rest over the issue...

Thanks!
Amy

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
Re: DSo you drive an American left-hand drive in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 12:43:18 PM »
Hi, Lisa (my American wife) brought her car over a few years ago and we kept it until recently.  No problems at all with hooligans chasing it up the street, I can assure you!  Slightly trickier to pass, irritating when leaving a car park that requires the driver to put money / ticket into a machine to lift the barrier, couple of other little things .... but we must have kept that car for 6 years once Lisa got here and used it on a daily basis.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 02:37:41 PM »
Also, you often see European cars on the road with left hand steering. Doesnt mean they are American!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 02:46:40 PM »
Definitely - the Italian cars are left-hand drive!

Of course, if you're driving a Ferrari, the last thing on your mind is toll booths or car parks!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 07:05:36 AM »
Like Graham wrote above, I drove mine here for year. Just a few things to keep in mind, but none of which (in my experience) had to do with "being targetted".

Firstly, Americans aren't treated with anything more than an eye roll (at worst, and that has origins in the tourist industry...you should see how embarrassing some American tourists can be!). But usually, and this is by far my own experience, once I'm found out to be American, I'm instantly their new best friend.

As far as being singled out as being American because of your car, I suppose there can be an element of that in some extremely unusual circumstance. However, if someone were going to target an American, I doubt they'd be pursuing cars to do it, simply because ownership of a particular car doesn't automatically make you a certain nationality. More than disdain for having one, you'll probably find people admiring it and asking you about it. Owning an American vehicle here is almost like getting the holy grail in some auto circles. A Harley Davidson, a Mustang, a Corvette, even a Chevy.

Naw, consider what is *really* the issue, and that's the safety of it.

I was at first fearful my car would stand out and be pursued by thieves, looking for something "extra". Then it occurred to me that if they ever tried to steal my car, they'd get a bit of a jolt and run away screaming. I've had many to-myself belly laughs thinking about the poor idiot who'd hop in my car just to find the steering wheel on the other side. Aside from that, you'll find your car is suddenly worth peanuts here...unless it's one of the afore-mentioned prize possions, or similar. Not thief is going to be able to hock it easily. I ended up selling mine to a woman who was moving to France.

Driving...saving the last aspect because it's the most important.
Graham mentioned a couple of things to be aware of. I'll mention a couple more:
- the windshield (windscreen) wipers are geared to the driver. Sit in the American side as a driver and you will note less visibility at the top right-hand corner.
- we as drivers tend to look at the drivers of other cars to see their reaction...'do you see me when I pull out?' The driver of a car watching you will look to the side he/she naturally thinks is your driver's side. If your passenger is not looking at him/her (ie, reading a road map) the other driver will feel it's safe to pull our in front...never thinking that the person who is REALLY driving has been paying attention the whole time. (This happened to us at a roundabout. Graham was driving and I was reading the map. We were pulling out into the roundabout to go and the driver to our left was watching me not paying attention to him or the road, so he entered the roundabout too. Graham had to make a frantic and fast stop to avoid hitting him.)

You'll hear a lot of people mention the problem of getting parts for your car. Aside from the initial modifications needed to get your car road-worthy here (you might have to have your headlights (headlamps) adjusted and add some fog lights), you shouldn't have problems getting *anything* you need...just that it might take more time and it might cost more. But this day and age, nah, anything can be done/anything can be shipped. However, if your car has a lot of computer-assisted gadgets, you might find the computer analysis machines might not be in synch if your car is not a standard make available here. A lot of cars are the same, but just have different names and slight variations to their workings. But with so many different countries providing parts and labour, to be honest, it's all getting so that an American car has very little American about it.  (Generally I have never had a problem at all. The local Mazda dealership was able to service my American Mazda with parts available in the UK. There is only one exception: just to get my dang 'service' light to stop blinking, I got a new airbag because the car was more than 10 years old...and not because it needed a new one. This was shipped from Japan only because an airbag was expensive anywhere and they didn't want to install a British one on the chance it wouldn't fit. If it didn't I'd then have to pay for that *and* get another one that did fit. It was more me going for the definite route than taking a chance on an unknown. Replacing an airbag was slightly out of their depth, they admitted.)

I get long-winded and I think everyones' eyes must be glazed over by now. I'll just recap:
  • Being "targetted"
    - Your car isn't worth anything to thiefs because the resale value plummets as soon as it leaves the dock here
    - Americans generally are not objects of hate crimes here
    - Certain American cars are met more with 'oooh ahhh' because of the novelty value
    - American cars are frequently ignored because so many people from the Continent drive here
  • Driving on the left in a left-hand car
    - There are a few things to be mindful of, certain features that make the experience interesting, but you can certainly drive such a car here
  • Maintaining your car
    - The initial changes your car will need to get it road-worthy here to begin with are minimal
    - Just about any parts can be got, but they may take longer and cost more
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 12:40:56 PM »
Thanks everyone- I really appreciate your input. Being from Texas, my car is actually a truck. However, we plan on living out in the country with a home that has off-road parking. I'm already settled with the fact that my vehicle will never ever fit in any UK garage. Had I known that I was getting orders to the UK within a year of buying it, would I have still bought it? ABSOLUTELY!! The look on my ex husband's face was priceless when he saw me in it!! Plus it seats 6, which is handy since Andy has 3 kids from a previous marriage and my oldest will be there in the UK with me.

It's a cobalt blue 2004 Chevy Avalanche.

:)
Amy

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 02:05:44 PM »
I doubt most Brits have seen an Avalanche so you will probably get lots of stares and head turns.

As others have mentioned you frequently see cars with steering on the left. For instance, "SMART" cars are immensely popular, made by Mercedes, and have steering on the left.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 04:15:45 PM »
I live in an area of the UK that's considered 'farm country'. I see more and more people opting to buy the truck-type vehicles. One local dealership even specializes in "American-style pick-up trucks". When I first moved across I was surprised to see they were not commonplace here, but they're catching on! I mean, if there's an influx of SUVs, certainly pickups (the more practical of the larger vehicles) can surely not be too far behind.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 04:57:39 PM »
Just a thing to think about..............your truck will no doubt have quite a large engine (motor) by UK/European standards, so probably uses quite a lot of fuel.

Fuel here is very expensive compared to USA.
It is around $6.30 per UK gallon which is slightly larger than a US gallon.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab