Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Great Shred!!  (Read 1023 times)

• Liked: 4985
The Great Shred!!
« on: September 20, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
Now that I'm nearing the end of my UKVI journey, I am eager to get rid of LOTS of my paperwork.

What do I need to keep?

I know I'm safe to shred utility statements, bank statements, NHS letters, etc.  What about HMRC crap?  They send me a change in tax code roughly every 10 minutes...  anything that I should keep forever and ever?

My guest room looks like a bomb of paperwork went off.  I'm eager to get it pretty again!

• Liked: 6110
Re: The Great Shred!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »
Now that I'm nearing the end of my UKVI journey, I am eager to get rid of LOTS of my paperwork.

What do I need to keep?

I know I'm safe to shred utility statements, bank statements, NHS letters, etc.  What about HMRC crap?  They send me a change in tax code roughly every 10 minutes...  anything that I should keep forever and ever?

My guest room looks like a bomb of paperwork went off.  I'm eager to get it pretty again!

I would keep everything from HMRC, they are not particularly well organised so you will need to be if a problem ever crops up.
I'd also keep anything relating to pensions or national insurance.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 05:41:27 PM »
As it all goes through the shredder, remember that's not the smell of paper dust---it's the sweet, sweet scent of freedom.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
We all keep too much paper (and other stuff) for way too long. BUT - I agree that if it came from HMRC, keep that paper trail.

I've just returned from a trip to the US. My brother and I spent a solid week sorting out our father's house, trying to determine what papers should be kept until his estate is settled. There were receipts from auto insurance paid way back in the 70s, among other useless things, and we ended up filling a giant skip with crap that should have been tossed eons ago.

Do yourself a favor - as I am trying to do - look at everything carefully, and if redundant, then hit the shredder.

Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:42:47 AM »
Shred party!

We shredded documents and turned off paper statements after I became a UKC (then we knew it was all done and dusted)... but now that we've moved and needed to register with a new GP, we didn't have anything showing our address. ::) So we had to turn paper statements on again and wait for something to arrive. I'd suggest not getting too excited... keep at least one recent document to prove your address.

Happy shredding!
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 60
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »
We all keep too much paper (and other stuff) for way too long. BUT - I agree that if it came from HMRC, keep that paper trail.

I've just returned from a trip to the US. My brother and I spent a solid week sorting out our father's house, trying to determine what papers should be kept until his estate is settled. There were receipts from auto insurance paid way back in the 70s, among other useless things, and we ended up filling a giant skip with crap that should have been tossed eons ago.

Do yourself a favor - as I am trying to do - look at everything carefully, and if redundant, then hit the shredder.

THIS^^^

When my mother died unexpectedly, I spent a week going through tons and tons of random things she'd saved. Some of it was kind of cool, like her tax return from the year she started full-time post-college work, but after you've been looking through old things for that long, you wish they'd just destroyed it all.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
I did the initial clean out in 2014 after my mother died, and kept going through drawers/closets each time I visited my father. On one visit I cleared a freezer - vegetables my mother had frozen in the early 1990s. It broke my heart to see the waste.

They had lived in the current house since having it built in the late 1990s, and when they moved in, the accumulated crap from house #1 (build/lived in since the late 40s) was shoved here there and everywhere, including the huge basement. Some of that never got unpacked. I found old coins, 2 pistols (thankfully unloaded) and all sorts of strange things intermingled with the old magazines, coupons, cards and who-knows-what in boxes. We had to pretty much check everything, which is how we found the money. Not a lot, but good thing we didn't toss the boxes under the assumption that if it hadn't been touched for 20+ years, there would be nothing of value.

It was sort of interesting when I uncovered papers during the initial sorting in 2014, but after a while, it was just drudgery.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab