Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Proof of Healthcare  (Read 1405 times)

• Liked: 253
Proof of Healthcare
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:08:38 PM »
Okay so this may be a bit off topic, but I need to find proof  of my healthcare.

As a US citizen, I was under my mom's health insurance.

Now that I'm in the UK on my spousal visa, I just use my visa as proof of right to use the NHS.

The problem has been that my mom is trying to take me off her insurance, but the insurance company swears that they need proof of my right to healthcare. I sent through my email confirming that I paid for the NHS healthcare surcharge and a photo copy of my BRP.

Apparently that isn't proof enough. Does anyone know of where I can get a signed letter on letterhead that confirms that I have access to healthcare? Alternatively, if anyone has experience with this and advice, I'd appreciate it.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 4985
Re: Proof of Healthcare
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
I would give them a copy of your BRP showing you are now a resident in the U.K.  If they aren't aware of the NHS, they are living under a rock!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »
I would give them a copy of your BRP showing you are now a resident in the U.K.  If they aren't aware of the NHS, they are living under a rock!

Maybe they're willfully ignorant.  I mean, they wouldn't want universal health care in the US, would they?  ;)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 03:53:56 AM »
As well as the BRP, send them a copy of the little card you got with your NHS number on it. They might be able to relate to that.

If that fails, and they need a letter, have your GP write one. You'll probably need to pay for that though.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »

I did, but apparently a copy of my BRP isn't proof enough...

As well as the BRP, send them a copy of the little card you got with your NHS number on it. They might be able to relate to that.

If that fails, and they need a letter, have your GP write one. You'll probably need to pay for that though.

I didn't get a little card with an NHS number on it when I registered with my local clinic... I don't think that's me, I honestly think it's where I originally registered because they've been really shifty. I registered with the clinic and showed them all of the documents that they requested, but I got calls for months telling me that I wasn't registered. Yet when I went in and talked to them about it in-person, I was registered there...

Since I'm looking to register at a new clinic, what should I ask them for so I can get this NHS stuff?
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)

• Liked: 716
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
I did, but apparently a copy of my BRP isn't proof enough...

I didn't get a little card with an NHS number on it when I registered with my local clinic... I don't think that's me, I honestly think it's where I originally registered because they've been really shifty. I registered with the clinic and showed them all of the documents that they requested, but I got calls for months telling me that I wasn't registered. Yet when I went in and talked to them about it in-person, I was registered there...

Since I'm looking to register at a new clinic, what should I ask them for so I can get this NHS stuff?

When we registered last year we each got a letter providing us with our new NHS number. Sounds like the different Trusts do things differently.

Since the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is free and easy to get maybe you could also get one of those. That is an actual laminated card that proves you have health insurance. Just a thought.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 768
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »
I registered with my GP in June and I haven't received anything from the NHS. I asked my GP if I should expect a letter or anything and they told me no.

I'm in Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »
Hm... sounds more and more like I need to go to a new GP because the clinic wasn't good to begin with.

I will try registering with a new GP next week and see if they can help. I was going to do that anyway cause (like I said earlier) my old GP was terrible.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab