Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: North American Import store around Edinburgh/Glasgow?  (Read 1707 times)

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
North American Import store around Edinburgh/Glasgow?
« on: October 05, 2017, 06:14:57 AM »
In the States we have a store called Cost Plus World Market which has tons of import things includes a massive food section with candies and food products from not only the UK but elsewhere in the world.

I'm curious if anyone has found a store over there in the UK that has North American imports from the US and/or Canada?  I'm just wondering if US/Canadian foods are as interesting to folks in the UK as UK foods are to us here in the US.

I found this one in London but just curious if there are any similar up in Scotland: https://www.usafoodstore.co.uk/

I've found other online American Food sites but I'm more thinking about a store that sells not online foods but other things. Maybe games, movies (I know its a different region), or other things like that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:40:49 AM by scottference »

• Liked: 585
Re: North American Import store around Edinburgh/Glasgow?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:52:23 AM »
In both Glasgow and Edinburgh, we have Lupe Pintos, which is mainly a Mexican ingredients shop, but has some American stuff, as well as some Spanish items.

Glasgow also has at least one American candy shop... the one I've been in is called Gobstoppers and it's across the road from Argyle Street station. 

Just outside of Glasgow, in Giffnock, there is a Whole Foods market, if you're into that.

A Taco Bell is due to open soon in Glasgow, in Sauchiehall Street, and we have things like Byron Burgers and Five Guys.

Games & movies?  No idea.  Aren't games and movies fairly universal now?  What they have there, we have here?  I really don't know.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:54:08 AM by Albatross »

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
Games & movies?  No idea.  Aren't games and movies fairly universal now?  What they have there, we have here?  I really don't know.

Go back 10-15 years or so and things like movies and TV seasons were pretty far behind the US... you'd have to wait months after they became available in the US for movies to be released in cinemas or on DVD in the UK, and we could be anywhere from about 4 months to a couple of years behind on TV seasons.

However, with the internet, particularly with streaming and downloading, they've bridged the gap and now movies and new TV episodes are often released the same day/week as in the US. For example, Game of Thrones is aired in the US on Sunday night and in the UK on Monday night. Plus new episodes of US-aired shows are available on UK Netflix within a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »
Also keep in mind that most Tescos have American import sections.

B&M stores also have a range of American candy/snacks.

Costco sometimes has stuff, as well. Plus, it just feels like home.

You can also order just about anything via Amazon.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
In both Glasgow and Edinburgh, we have Lupe Pintos, which is mainly a Mexican ingredients shop, but has some American stuff, as well as some Spanish items.

Glasgow also has at least one American candy shop... the one I've been in is called Gobstoppers and it's across the road from Argyle Street station. 

Just outside of Glasgow, in Giffnock, there is a Whole Foods market, if you're into that.

A Taco Bell is due to open soon in Glasgow, in Sauchiehall Street, and we have things like Byron Burgers and Five Guys.

Last time I was in Glasgow (last year I think it was now), I think there was a shop with American sweets around the corner from the train station (down the shopping area from the Forbidden Planet). Is that the same one you mentioned? Don't remember it being called Gobstoppers but it might have changed names.

There are definitely random shops all over London (there's one literally RIGHT next to Shepherd's Bush train station (was just there over the weekend) but I don't know the name of it. It's just random small shops (there's also one in Reading at the ground level of the Oracle. It's a little newsagents but as TONS of American sweets/foods. It's just random but they all tend to be overpriced.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »

I’ve heard they are moving to bigger premises after some American woman went in there and bought all their stock!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
I’ve heard they are moving to bigger premises after some American woman went in there and bought all their stock!
Was it me? Because I've been in there several times. May even stop in there today.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »
It was Albatross!  I can’t remember the post, but she bought £52 worth of Reeses cups or similar. 

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »
I was just walking through Bristol earlier today and noticed they've opened an American Candy store in Cabot Circus :).

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »
I’ve noticed a ton of new ones in Bayswater and Camden and other places in London.  They all seem to have a limited selection of items but really lots of it and it’s all extortionately expensive.  The workers are Asian and don’t speak much English and know nothing about sweets.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab