Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Customs on gifts  (Read 650 times)

Customs on gifts
« on: December 05, 2004, 01:29:11 PM »
My mother is visiting us for xmas and is bringing xmas gifts for us and our UK family/

Does anyone know what her experience will be as far as Customs? I've found a £ limit to what can be carried in on the HM Customs and Excise site...but I think it's for UK travellers returning from any non-EU travels. Anyone know of the $ limit she has before paying a duty fee?

Thanks for any info!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Customs on gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 01:42:06 PM »
If she's bringing the gifts in luggage, she wouldn't have to declare anything so no duty.  She just needs to walk thru the "nothing to declare" channel at the airport. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
  • Liked: 0
Re: Customs on gifts
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 04:06:59 AM »
Kristi is probably correct in stating that your mother will be able to just walk through the "nothing to declare" channel; the vast majority of passengers arriving in the UK do so, and I believe that customs are typically on the look out for major transgressions of the law / limits rather than for anyone who might be a few pounds over what is actually quite a low limit.

The legal limit is stated in only pounds as it would be impractical for them to have a limit in every currency of the world - details are at http://www.destination-uk.com/tips/customs.htm and that page states that it is a guide for visitors to Britain. Visitors can also bring their own possessions for use during their trip, and they need not be declared; the best details of this I could find are at http://www.britain.org.nz/travel/cust_outeu.html. I would imagine that at times it must be very hard for customs to identify what is a personal possession, and what is a gift.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

Sponsored Links