Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS and dementia..???  (Read 1428 times)

• Liked: 0
NHS and dementia..???
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:28:01 PM »
Here is my story....

I am a UK citizen by birth married to a US citizen and now have dual citizenship. We are contemplating moving to the UK from the US, more specfically to Scotland.

Our main reason for relocating is because my wife is in the middle stages of dementia and we need to be near my family for help and support. For better or for worse it is a very fast moving form of this terrible desease and the doctors do not give her more than five years.

I have used the forums to farmiliarized myself with the visa process for my wife, which were very helpful, but this special stuiation has raised questions regarding the NHS.

1. Is there any sort of medical test when applying for the visa or do you just pay the £600 NHS fee when you get the visa and all good?
2. Is there any sort of coverage for long term care in the NHS, specifically for dementia?
3. I have read that in Scotland if you have more than £26,250 in assets you will have to pay for your own residential care. Can assets in the US be used against this amount?
4. Is Scotland different than England regarding any of the above issues?

Thanks so much for all your help in advance...

TinyIron

• Liked: 3597
Re: NHS and dementia..???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

To answer your questions:

1. No, there is no medical test. People from certain countries must get a TB test, but that doesn't apply to the US. You pay the £600 IHS surcharge at the time of visa application (the visa will not be processed unless you have paid it) and that's it.

2. I would have thought there would be treatment for long-term dementia care, considering the NHS covers all medical needs.

3. I don't know anything about residential care eligibility either in Scotland or England, I'm afraid. I believe the Local Authority will assess whether/what type of care is needed and then look at your capital to determine whether you qualify for financial help. Doing a quick Google search, it doesn't mention whether they look at overseas assets or not.

4. Well, NHS Scotland is a separate entity from NHS England, so it may have some differences in how care is provided. In Scotland, all prescriptions are free to everyone, whereas in England, prescriptions are free to over 60s and under 19s (if they are in full-time education), and are free to certain groups of people, but everyone else has to pay for prescriptions (£8.60 per item).

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
Here is my story....

I am a UK citizen by birth married to a US citizen and now have dual citizenship. We are contemplating moving to the UK from the US, more specfically to Scotland.

Our main reason for relocating is because my wife is in the middle stages of dementia and we need to be near my family for help and support. For better or for worse it is a very fast moving form of this terrible desease and the doctors do not give her more than five years.

I have used the forums to farmiliarized myself with the visa process for my wife, which were very helpful, but this special stuiation has raised questions regarding the NHS.

1. Is there any sort of medical test when applying for the visa or do you just pay the £600 NHS fee when you get the visa and all good?
2. Is there any sort of coverage for long term care in the NHS, specifically for dementia?
3. I have read that in Scotland if you have more than £26,250 in assets you will have to pay for your own residential care. Can assets in the US be used against this amount?
4. Is Scotland different than England regarding any of the above issues?

Thanks so much for all your help in advance...

TinyIron

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's illness.

There is no medical test for the spouse visa application. There is a question which asks if the applicant requires medical care or assistance but answering yes to that won't affect the outcome.

I don't know what the position would be, were you to place your wife in residential care, as one of the criteria for the visa is that you will live together in the UK.

This may be helpful.

http://www.careinfoscotland.scot/topics/care-at-home/dementia-services/

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:53:16 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 344
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:52:49 PM »

I doubt that they will only use the assets that your wife brings to the UK, to calculate whether she will be funded as they will be looking to see if your wife can afford to be self funding.

There is a thread on another forum where elderly Brits returned from an EEA country because one needed to go in a care home or have daily carers at home. They thought they would be funded but have been told they won't be as they still have a house in that EEA country.

You can read here about what Scotland will fund.
http://www.careinfoscotland.scot/topics/care-homes/paying-care-home-fees/

But as larrabee said, your wife is meant to be living with you.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:46:54 AM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab