Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: very nervous about having enough meds to the time I get the second visa! Help!  (Read 2103 times)

• Liked: 49
Still over the moon about my 6 month fiancee visa...yet my biggest fear is the transition of getting my second visa before my medicine runs out! ( meds I cannot stop taking or they will cause extreme withdrawal and medical complications) It has taken me a long time to get the medicine right so it is rather frightening to think of a lapse. My main questions would be how long does it take to be recognized when I receive my next visa that I have paid the fee for NHS and am on it as a married person in Scotland. Secondly has anyone used the travel insurance to get started with a GP on crucial meds? I keep being told this is more for dire emergencies. Do I need to register with anyone other than a GP when I get my second visa or do I register with anyone else? I will move to Scotland Dec 3rd and we plan to wed in early Feb. Any insight would ease my nerves! Thank you! I wish I did not have to worry about this but I do not want to have any lapse! Helppp!!! xx (enough meds thru late Feb!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:47:44 PM by missially »

• Liked: 4985
You can have treatment on the NHS, but will need to pay for any services received.  Keep the receipts to submit with your visa.  Does that help?

Have you researched to see if the same medication is available in Scotland?

• Liked: 3589
Still over the moon about my 6 month fiancee visa...yet my biggest fear is the transition of getting my second visa before my medicine runs out!

Nothing to be afraid of :). You can just register with a GP when you arrive, during your fiance visa, and if you need to, you can get a new prescription before you get your FLR(M) visa.

It'll just mean using your insurance and paying for the medicine instead of getting it free on the NHS.

My main questions would be how long does it take to be recognized when I receive my next visa that I have paid the fee for NHS and am on it as a married person in Scotland.

What do you mean by recognised? You just go to a GP and register, showing them your visa.

If you have already registered during the fiance visa (which I recommend you do), then when you get your next visa, you just take the BRP to the GP's reception and ask them to update your notes to show you've paid it.

Secondly has anyone used the travel insurance to get started with a GP on crucial meds? I keep being told this is more for dire emergencies.

No, it's not just for emergencies, it's to be used for ANY medical treatment you need. If you need treatment and you DON'T have insurance, you will be charged 150% of the cost of the treatment/medicine.

Do I need to register with anyone other than a GP when I get my second visa or do I register with anyone else?

Nope... you just register with the GP... but I would do that while you have your fiance visa... don't wait. You never know when you may need treatment.

As I said on the other thread you posted on, I would recommend doing the following:

- bring your medical records/evidence of current prescriptions with you from the US
- register with the NHS as soon as you can after arriving in the UK in December (i.e. once you have some mail in your name)
- make an appointment to see the doctor, to inform them of your medical needs, to explain what medicines you currently take and to find out if they can be prescribed for you in the UK (I don't think you should be charged for a regular GP appointment)
- so, when do need to get new prescriptions, you'll be all set up with the GP and they'll know what to prescribe you... which will save some time later on
- then, when you get your new visa, take it to the GP's surgery and ask them to update their system with the information that you have paid the IHS surcharge
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:59:36 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 342
(I don't think you should be charged for a regular GP appointment)

For NHS England under services for free, one part is this-

"GP and nurse consultations in primary care and treatment provided by a GP are free of charge to all, whether registering as an NHS patient, or as a temporary patient, when the patient is in the area for more than 24 hours and less than 3 months."
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-entitlements-migrant-health-guide

NHS Scotland lists their services they will give for free here-
http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Services/Overseas-visitors
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:25:35 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 768
How many months of medication can you get in the US? AS long as they aren't schedule C meds, you should be able to get an ample supply but you may have to pay cash for them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:59:36 PM by nctami72 »

• Liked: 49
Thank you!x

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Liked: 41
Prednisolone? Total guess but sudden withdrawl would be nasty/ dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957

Prednisolone is readily available and not expensive. I'm in some specialty groups for my illnesses and that's one regularly prescribed. With medical records and prescribing history you should be fine!

• Liked: 41
Yep. I have colitis so I'm regularly on pred as a flare treatment.

• Liked: 672

Yes, it can be. I was on high doses of prednisone for a long period of time, and then we had to wean me off it slowly over a period of about a year.  You don't just stop taking that one. :(

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab