Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Social security  (Read 1344 times)

• Liked: 37
US Social security
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
Can anyone help?
Hubby and I moved to the UK 11th September and have just successfully opened up a bank account with Lloyd's bank.
We need to get my husband's SS benefits paid into the new account, just as my UK pension was paid into our US bank account, but when he called the SS line they told him this isn't possible and he should call the US Embassy!! We are shocked and very worried as the entire premise of us moving to the UK has been based on both our pensions, I'm struggling to understand why I didn't see this written down anywhere before we applied for his immigration  :\\\'(
Met for the first time 2012
Married in the US May 2014
Biometrics for husband 12th June
Package mailed priority  to Sheffield 13th June
Email confirmation from Sheffield 16th June.
Decision received 11th July 😀 17 BD

• Liked: 3589
Re: US Social security
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »
Hmm, I just found this document which details how you can receive your SS benefits electronically if you are living outside the US... and it lists the UK as one of the countries that has a direct deposit agreement with the US:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

(found through this webpage: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3842/Can-I-use-direct-deposit-if-I-live-outside-the-United-States)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »
Can anyone help?
Hubby and I moved to the UK 11th September and have just successfully opened up a bank account with Lloyd's bank.
We need to get my husband's SS benefits paid into the new account, just as my UK pension was paid into our US bank account, but when he called the SS line they told him this isn't possible and he should call the US Embassy!! We are shocked and very worried as the entire premise of us moving to the UK has been based on both our pensions, I'm struggling to understand why I didn't see this written down anywhere before we applied for his immigration  :\\\'(

Don't panic!  :) You can definitely get SS paid directly to a UK bank account, many do and prefer it that way. Some people on the other hand prefer to just transfer the money themselves at times when the exchange rate is at it's most advantageous.

Strange as it sounds, do call the US embassy in London, they can help you get things set up.

Meantime, if you need to access the money, I recommend Transferwise for international money transfers.  :)

• Liked: 85
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
Don't panic, both myself and my spouse have our social security paid into our UK accounts.  It is very easy to set up, they pay all pensions on or around 3rd of each month.  Here is a link to the embassy where you can find out exactly what you need to do to get your pensions paid into your UK account.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/requesting-or-reporting-a-change-of-direct-deposit-for-benefits/
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
Thank you to the ever amazing Ksand24 and wonderfully reliable Larrabee.. how very reassuring and calming you both are.. I'm feeling much better now and far more confident.
Bless you both... much love
Jan  :-*

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »
Kezzie62 the information you've given me is great, thank you so much I really appreciate hearing from someone who has gone through the same as hubby and I. It's reassuring to know it's do~able thanks for all your help and advice, we'll get onto it tomorrow. :D

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 03:13:51 AM »
How are you settling in Jan, everything else OK?  :)

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
Hi Larrabee  :)
I won't say it's been easy lol...it's been hard work but we're gradually coming out the other side, we have a lovely apartment in a good area for us, but only moved here 2 weeks ago so we're not really settled just yet.
On the positive side our attempt to open a UK bank account was relatively easy and was done the same day, so it was just the concern with getting SS payments into the new account that was freaking me out!! We have written to the embassy in London and hoping it will be straightforward now.
My husbands medical condition,post stroke hasn't been so good but I have him registered with my old practice and they're attending to his needs brilliantly.
It's lovely to be around my family and so far Hubby's loving it too even the weather 😵..
Thanks once again for being there, it's so reassuring when you find yourself in seemingly impossible situations to know you are not alone  :-*

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »
So glad you're settling in and that your husbands needs are being met.  :)

You may find that well meaning healthcare workers will encourage you to apply for disability benefits for him. As you know, the conditions of his visa prohibit this so make sure you don't follow their advice if that happens!

• Liked: 29
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »
My husband called the US Embassy in London, and they were very helpful in getting his Social Security paid into our UK bank.  So don't worry, it will work.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
Thank you for your reassuring words, my husband has now written to the US Embassy and hopefully everything will go well. It was just pretty scary having moved to the UK to he told on the phone by SS his money couldn't be transferred into out UK bank account!

• Liked: 85
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
They told us the same thing when we phoned... it was another member of this site that told me how to set it up, that was 2.5 years ago and we have been having both of our SS benefits paid monthly directly into our UK accounts. Good to hear your husband is getting the help he needs and that you are beginning to settle into your new home..
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

• Liked: 102
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Don't overlook that US social security is completely exempt from US tax under the US/UK tax treaty; but may require you to register to self-assessment and pay UK tax to HMRC.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab