Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Current rules on electronics at London embassy  (Read 1305 times)

• Liked: 0
Current rules on electronics at London embassy
« on: November 24, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
US citizen in UK with two citizen children. One aged 5 so first passport renewal coming up! First one was issued in the US.
The embassy web page says absolutely no electronics. We just got a confirmation email however which says phones and iPads are OK though laptops are not.
Husband went to get his visa a few years ago and he had a tiny USB stick removed (and had to rent a locker locally to leave his phone in).

Anyone been recently and can confirm the rules?

We will have to leave a case at our overnight stay but it would be nice to have the old electronic babysitter if it's a long wait!
Me: USC by parentage, UKC by birth
Hubby: UKC

• Liked: 1892
Re: Current rules on electronics at London embassy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
I was there in May and phones were okay.  Didnt try iPad.  There's also a little play Area and TV.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »
I was there in May and phones were okay.  Didnt try iPad.  There's also a little play Area and TV.

Out of curiosity, what were they showing on TV? Was it just looped ads like in doctors offices? UK TV? US TV?
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1892
Current rules on electronics at London embassy
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »
I wish I could remember, I was actually ignoring it and looking at my phone.  One part of my brain says it was looped info on what to do and what the rules are.   The other part of my brain says it was Judge July.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »
You can bring anything that doesn’t have an external keyboard (no laptops).

I think the tv has BBC news on.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
Thanks, we'll bring phone and tablet (no keyboard) in that case.
7.45 am appointment, maybe he'll just go back to sleep on my lap while we wait!

• Liked: 20
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »
Out of curiosity, what were they showing on TV? Was it just looped ads like in doctors offices? UK TV? US TV?

We were there in October, the t.v. in the play area was showing CBeebies or something similar. Can confirm that phones and tablets are ok (we don't have any tablets but definitely saw some) and didn't see any laptops, which is seems in line with the email they send out.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
We got on fine at our appointment and it was indeed Cbeebies.
We didn't use our tablet (my son happily played in the small soft play area) but took it in, and I took my phone and did use it.
However I stupidly had a small pair of scissors in my bag which was confiscated! My fault entirely.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
I visited the new US Embassy in London in February.  The email I received about my appointment states:

Location of Embassy, who can attend, and what you can bring:  Please see our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acs-london/, with particular reference to the appointment guide, for information about what you can bring with you to the Embassy, and how to find us at our new location: 33 Nine Elms Lane, London.  Please be aware that large bags/suitcases (above cabin baggage size) and laptops cannot be admitted into or stored at the Embassy.

If you bring a laptop or suitcase, they will suggest you go to a cafe across the street that rents storage space.  Otherwise, a family member or friend can wait outside with your items. 

Phones are allowed inside and can be used.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab