Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Woooo! provisional offer  (Read 2194 times)

• Liked: 20
Re: Woooo! provisional offer
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »
Oh man, soooo very sorry Nan. Hopefully you’ll be able to use the documents again. Frustrating and disappointing beyond words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »
Oh Nan!  Big hugs!  That's just shocking.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
Oh man, that's a shame.  There are jobs  out there that treat you decently and I know you'll eventually get one.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 03:50:54 PM »
Aww, I'm sorry Nan  :-\\\\
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »
I'm sorry Nan. I hope this means that an even better job will be coming your way soon!  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »
Oh, Nan... :(  That must hurt worse than not being selected in the first place.  To have it given and then snatched away... I'm so sorry.  Is there any chance that you can look at the silver lining: they wanted you to work for them.  They chose you.  I hope there's some comfort in knowing that you beat out other candidates for the position.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 04:57:43 PM »
:( what the hell. I guess U.K. bureaucracy at its best? Nothing about the government is inspiring confidence in me right now. Last week Mr Hammond decided to blame disabled people for the UK's low productivity numbers, yet I'm usually one of the most productive on my teams in spite of all the physical challenges I have.

I hope you're able to find a job that suits your skills soon Nan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 20
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
I'm sorry you're going through this Nan.  We're rooting for you!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »
Thanks, guyz. I'm having to fall back on my grandmother's mantra that things happen because they are meant to happen. This must mean something else is coming down the pipeline that I need to be available for.

Still, the level of incompetence in this - and the fact that they could not bother to pick up the phone to call to apologize [sending a few lines of email instead] when informing me they'd blundered massively, or even offer any apology at all - is just very telling.   :(

• Liked: 718
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »
Ok, so today I get an email saying, oh, gosh, sorry, we just noticed you haven't lived here for three years so we can't offer you the job. We know you will be disappointed.... disappointment is not exactly the emotion, guyz.

So nowhere in the application materials did it say there was a residency requirement. I was up front with the interviewers and with all my application materials saying that I've been here only since May of this year.  They have wasted 5 months of my time, plus over 200 pounds in getting documentation they required... for a crappy temporary job?

What the bloody hell?!   :o >:( >:( >:(

That really, really sucks.  After all your effort.

All the best.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
I'm having to fall back on my grandmother's mantra that things happen because they are meant to happen. This must mean something else is coming down the pipeline that I need to be available for.

That's what I was  trying to say!  ;D

• Liked: 1
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »
Sorry to hear that.... its not made very clear unless you look it up but anything requiring a counter terrorism check in civil service requires that you have lived in UK for 3 years (civil service jobs) ... also police vetting (requires 3 years in UK as well) but if you keep an eye out there are lots of civil service jobs that require just the basic check which does not have a minimum time requirement in UK for EU nationals.  They just sent out a memo in civil service that EU nationals will be allowed to continue to serve in the civil service / ngpb after brexit. :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »
The couple of lines they sent me said that there is a requirement of 3 years for all jobs in the Home Office.

If that is the case, the Hiring Office should never have interviewed me, and certainly when I was discussing with them how we'd only recently moved over from the USA in the interview they should have brought that requirement up.

Same with when they made the phone call in advance of the official "provisional" offer.  And then again when I spoke with them by phone after the provisional offer when they said they actually were wanting me for a full-time position, but had to get me "onboard" with the part-time one first.

I assume that the agencies of the British government know what their own security requirements are?

At this point I'm thinking of going back to applying with Universities, and forgetting the idea of doing government service in any form.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:19:04 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »
Yeah sorry that happened but yeah all the Home Office jobs I have seen require a counter terrorism check which requires three years in the UK residency.  Lots of the other departments only do basic checks though so don't require three years like DWP/HMRC/etc....  to be honest I don't think people doing interviews often  know the specifics of the requirements for residency as most applicants are UK nationals.  I was burnt less year with police vetting (now know you need 3 years for that as well) for a local council job.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »
Yeah sorry that happened but yeah all the Home Office jobs I have seen require a counter terrorism check which requires three years in the UK residency.  Lots of the other departments only do basic checks though so don't require three years like DWP/HMRC/etc....  to be honest I don't think people doing interviews often  know the specifics of the requirements for residency as most applicants are UK nationals.  I was burnt less year with police vetting (now know you need 3 years for that as well) for a local council job.
Would jobs at the NHS have residency requirements? A couple I've flagged to apply for next week offer tier 2 visas so I'm guessing not?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links