Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New hobby!  (Read 685 times)

• Liked: 537
New hobby!
« on: December 24, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
I'm so excited! I got a ukelele yesterday from my father in law's music shop! (He's closing it down and doing some good deals if anyone is in the Southern Derbyshire area)

I've been working on Misty Miller's "Remember" for the last two days. I've never played an instrument before so this is a whole new learning experience for me!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 424
Re: New hobby!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
Go for it! I would love to be able to play a musical instrument, but I'm afraid it would just sound like a cat squalling!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »
Good for you! Enjoy!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:58:18 PM »
I've never played one before,so it's completely new to me. I've done choir, voice lessons, musical theatre and opera. But I've never touched an instrument. Haha.

I have sore fingers.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
Same as the others, I wish I could play something.  I hope my kiddos find an instrument they like! 

• Liked: 149
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »
The ukulele is a great little instrument. I have one (strung low G)  that I haven't practiced much with and have gone back to playing the octave mandolin again. If you are playing everyday......my fingers start toughening up after the first week.....after 2-3 weeks they are usually tough enough for anything. Tons of Ukulele tab online.
Fred

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »
The ukulele is a great little instrument. I have one (strung low G)  that I haven't practiced much with and have gone back to playing the octave mandolin again. If you are playing everyday......my fingers start toughening up after the first week.....after 2-3 weeks they are usually tough enough for anything. Tons of Ukulele tab online.
I'm enjoying it! I haven't figured out any of the strumming yet, so I'm just working on my chords.
One of the songs I love has some quick chord changes! 😄

If I can figure this out my husband said the guitar would be easy. I just have tiny hands so playing is a bit difficult sometimes. That's why I got a sporano to learn on.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »
That's awesome.  Go you!!!  You may find a ukulele club in your area too, if you want to play with others and meet others?   [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif]
Being a musician myself, I highly approve. Playing music brings me endless joy and I hope the same to you!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
That's awesome.  Go you!!!  You may find a ukulele club in your area too, if you want to play with others and meet others?   [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif]
Being a musician myself, I highly approve. Playing music brings me endless joy and I hope the same to you!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Aw, thanks! I've often thought playing an instrument would be fun, but I never wanted something I would have to carry around. haha. So I did voice instead.

That's a good suggestion, I'll look into it. ;D I'm in a small town area, nearish to Derby, so there might be! I don't have the ability to play anything at this point. haha.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »
I'm enjoying it! I haven't figured out any of the strumming yet, so I'm just working on my chords.
One of the songs I love has some quick chord changes!

If I can figure this out my husband said the guitar would be easy. I just have tiny hands so playing is a bit difficult sometimes. That's why I got a sporano to learn on.
I played bass guitar/upright bass because my hands were too small for guitar! One string at a time was perfect. I miss it now, I literally could pick up and play almost every instrument in a concert band when I was younger.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 01:09:45 PM »
I played bass guitar/upright bass because my hands were too small for guitar! One string at a time was perfect. I miss it now, I literally could pick up and play almost every instrument in a concert band when I was younger.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

That's awesome! I just wish I had done piano, but I can only easily play a 6th and barely play a 7th... so. Yeah.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »
This is a pretty cool hobby! Good luck with the learning!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

Sponsored Links