Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job application timing question  (Read 1291 times)

• Liked: 87
Job application timing question
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »
Hey everyone,
I just wanted some opinions.
I came over on a fiance visa in July and as you know I can't work on it. We applied for our FLR-M on December 11th and have done biometrics. If the 6-8 week timeline holds I should be getting an answer toward the last two weeks of January.

I've been looking for jobs to just to get some ideas and I've found a couple that I really like--- one specifically. A friend of mine, also an American, works at the place I'm interested in applying. She told me to go ahead and apply because it generally takes them a long time to contact you for an interview and that I will likely have to back by the time they contact me.  However, I'm worried about whether or not I should apply. The posting closes on Jan 2nd or 3rd so I'm just trying to get some advice.

Thanks a bunch!

• Liked: 537
Re: Job application timing question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
Hey everyone,
I just wanted some opinions.
I came over on a fiance visa in July and as you know I can't work on it. We applied for our FLR-M on December 11th and have done biometrics. If the 6-8 week timeline holds I should be getting an answer toward the last two weeks of January.

I've been looking for jobs to just to get some ideas and I've found a couple that I really like--- one specifically. A friend of mine, also an American, works at the place I'm interested in applying. She told me to go ahead and apply because it generally takes them a long time to contact you for an interview and that I will likely have to back by the time they contact me.  However, I'm worried about whether or not I should apply. The posting closes on Jan 2nd or 3rd so I'm just trying to get some advice.

Thanks a bunch!

You aren't eligible to apply as you don't have your FLR and aren't eligible to work until you have that.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »
It’s fine to go ahead and apply for jobs before you get your FLR(M), as long as you don’t actually start working until you have it.

The only issue might be that because you don’t currently have the right to work in the UK, they may not be willing to interview or hire you.

I’d say there’s no harm in applying though, especially if it could take a while for an interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Job application timing question
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »
You aren't eligible to apply as you don't have your FLR and aren't eligible to work until you have that.

But people without visas can apply for jobs and even interview on a visitor visa... so why would this be different?

As long as you don’t physically start working before you get it, I don’t see the problem.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:52:31 PM by ksand24 »

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »

Applying is fine, she just can't start work until she has the FLR(M).

Recruitment can take a long time, so I'd go ahead and make the application.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »
oooh yay! Thanks everyone :) I'll go ahead and look into it further.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
It’s fine to go ahead and apply for jobs before you get your FLR(M), as long as you don’t actually start working until you have it.

The only issue might be that because you don’t currently have the right to work in the UK, they may not be willing to interview or hire you.

I’d say there’s no harm in applying though, especially if it could take a while for an interview.

Unless the rules changed they say you aren't even allowed to actively look for work while you're on your marriage settlement/fiance visa. Since she's on that visa until she receives FLR that would be breaking that rule, wouldn't it?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »
Unless the rules changed they say you aren't even allowed to actively look for work while you're on your marriage settlement/fiance visa. Since she's on that visa until she receives FLR that would be breaking that rule, wouldn't it?

Which part of the rules is that?

I'm looking on the main Family visa pages and it just says:

If you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

You won’t be able to work during your engagement.
(https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse)

and the immigration rules have no mention of looking for work, they just say you cannot work:

Leave to enter as a fiance(e) or proposed civil partner

291. A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a fiance(e) or proposed civil partner may be admitted, with a prohibition on employment, for a period not exceeding 6 months to enable the marriage or civil partnership to take place provided a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity is produced to the Immigration Officer on arrival.
(https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-8-family-members)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
oooh yay! Thanks everyone :) I'll go ahead and look into it further.

Good luck!  :D

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
Which part of the rules is that?

I'm looking on the main Family visa pages and it just says:
(https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse)

and the immigration rules have no mention of looking for work, they just say you cannot work:(https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-8-family-members)

Last time I looked they did. Heck, I could even find posts on here where people were told not to apply until they had their FLR.

I wouldn't do it since you aren't eligible to work but I am outnumbered. Hopefully the company isn't using an agency as you have to go in for a meeting with the agency and provide them your BRP and passport before the company can interview you.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
Last time I looked they did. Heck, I could even find posts on here where people were told not to apply until they had their FLR.

I don’t ever recall that being part of the rules, to be honest.

I seem to remember there have been quite a few people who already had jobs lined up ready for when they received their FLR(M) visa.

If someone can interview and accept a job on a visitor visa before they even know if they can get a visa to work in the UK yet, I don’t see why someone who already lives in the UK and who has applied for a visa that allows work and will receive it in the next few weeks can’t do it.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
I appreciate all the advice---
I haven't made a decision yet, I'm going to sleep on it.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
If you're sending your CV directly to a company email you'd be okay. It's the application programs ( they ask about right to work) or agencies that act as gatekeepers that will be an issue.

They've already got one American working there, they know the process.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
If you're sending your CV directly to a company email you'd be okay. It's the application programs ( they ask about right to work) or agencies that act as gatekeepers that will be an issue.

They've already got one American working there, they know the process.
I had several websites request my NIN and I couldn't progress with the application until I supplied it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 12:51:21 PM »
Yeah, so I just read all the posts about the NIN---awesome that they make everything such a pain. So it's probably not even worth me applying since I can't get that until I have my visa.

Sponsored Links