Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What do I need to open a UK bank account?  (Read 843 times)

• Liked: 2
What do I need to open a UK bank account?
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:33:42 AM »
Hello all!

I (US citizen) just received my visa to live and work with my wife in the UK (yay!) and will need to open a bank account to find a spot to live and work in the London area.

What do I need to open the UK bank account? My wife (English citizen) already has a debit and credit card account with Halifax and that seems to be a good start for banking, especially since we want to save up to eventually buy a house. I guess I'm not 100% on what documents or ID I need to open a simple checking or credit account.

Thanks for your guidance!

-C

• Liked: 3589
Re: What do I need to open a UK bank account?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:36:42 AM »
Congratulations on your move to the UK :).

It can depend on the bank, but usually to open an account, you will need:
- your passport
- your BRP card
- proof of your UK address, such as a council tax or utility bill in your name

You may be able to open a basic current (checking) account, but as you have no UK credit yet, it could take a while to qualify for a credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:43:14 AM »
Thanks for the response!

I can tick 2 out of 3, however, what if I am living with my sponsor at a parents home?

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:02:25 AM »
I would go to the bank(s) and ask what they will accept. I assume you’ll have to see if there’s any way to get some mail in your name at their address.

Maybe apply for a provisional driver’s licence, or perhaps ask if you can be added to a utility bill. You could try applying for a store card (Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Boots etc.) - that might work. Also, perhaps applying for your National Insurance Number would work as I think they mail the application to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 716
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
Thanks for the response!

I can tick 2 out of 3, however, what if I am living with my sponsor at a parents home?

When our son moved back in September the bank, HSBC, accepted a letter from us stating that he was living with us plus we also had to produce a utility bill to prove that we lived at the address stated, even though we also banked at the same branch and they had our address on record.

That same letter and proof of address was also accepted for him to get a NI number and by the solicitor when buying his house. (He moved into his house just before Christmas)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links