Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need to do taxes - just moved in August  (Read 636 times)

• Liked: 36
Need to do taxes - just moved in August
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:40:41 AM »
My husband and I are both US citizens, he is also a UK citizen.  We just moved in August after selling our house in the US and now need to think about doing our taxes.  Does anyone have someone they can recommend to do this for us?  If so about how much does it cost (ie a few hundred or thousands?) Should we have someone do it - I usually use turbo tax.  We sold the house and have about 150k in a US bank.  I've heard we can deduct moving expenses - anything else?  We do not have any other investments other than 401k.

• Liked: 957
Re: Need to do taxes - just moved in August
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
My husband and I are both US citizens, he is also a UK citizen.  We just moved in August after selling our house in the US and now need to think about doing our taxes.  Does anyone have someone they can recommend to do this for us?  If so about how much does it cost (ie a few hundred or thousands?) Should we have someone do it - I usually use turbo tax.  We sold the house and have about 150k in a US bank.  I've heard we can deduct moving expenses - anything else?  We do not have any other investments other than 401k.
This may be helpful for the moving expenses:  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p521#en_US_2017_publink1000203497

I don't qualify because I'm still working for my US company and it wasn't a move for a job. *sigh*

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 102
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
It is way too early to file; but if you think you owe tax on the house sale you may want to pay it to the IRS with an extension by 17 April 2018.

• Liked: 36
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
How would we know if we owe tax on the house sale?  I thought you were allowed 250k profit before having to pay tax?  We do plan to buy another house at some point, probably later this year or next year.

• Liked: 102

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab