Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Taxes, Voting, and US DL  (Read 515 times)

• Liked: 14
Taxes, Voting, and US DL
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »
Hello!

I'm waiting for my visa decision here in the US and also trying to get my affairs sorted for when I leave.

I lived in Texas for almost 10 years, but bf and I have given up our apartment in TX when he moved back to the UK. I'm staying with friends here OR going home to Louisiana to stay with my parents. I've been having our mail (bank statements, etc.) sent to their house in Louisiana for the time being.

However, I would like to be able to continue to vote as a TX resident and be taxed as a TX resident. The state I am leaving to move abroad is TX, and I understand that is where you vote and are taxed as an expat.

How do I go about registering this, since I no longer have a TX address? Do I change my voter registration to a friend's house in TX? How does a state government determine that an expat is still "theirs" for tax and voting purposes?

Also, if I set my voting address to my friends' house, would I be able to renew my DL there? I have one valid until 2023, but just thinking ahead....

Thanks!
Unmarried partner visa, non-priority
Online application: 27 Oct 17
Biometrics: 02 Nov 17
Docs sent via UPS: 03 Nov 17
UPS conf of docs arrival: 06 Nov 17
Sheffield conf of app received: 06 Nov 17
MP's office told no non-straightforward flags on our case; processing to be completed by following week: 18 Jan 18
Non-straightforward email: 22 Jan 18 :(
Decision made email: 25 Jan 2018
Docs returned: 29 Jan 2018

• Liked: 63
Re: Taxes, Voting, and US DL
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:23:43 PM »
You are entitled to vote in federal elections by requesting an absentee ballot in the former state of residence. You do NOT need an address in that state.

You may or may not be liable for state tax after you move to the UK. Every state is different - some try to hold onto you forever, while some recognize that you have not only changed your physical address, but have changed your domicile s well.

You should look for information on retaining a Texas DL on their website. Again, every state is different, and I don't know how it works in Texas. Some states require you to have a permanent legal address, and using a friend's address may be viewed as deception as you don't really live there. Some states REQUIRE you to report a change of address within 30 days, and you automatically surrender your license if you report a foreign address. Some states apparently don't care. But beware - keeping a DL MAY be considered a *tie* that will require you to file state income tax returns.

Having a DL or paying tax is NOT a requirement for voting absentee.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 14
Re: Taxes, Voting, and US DL
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »
You are entitled to vote in federal elections by requesting an absentee ballot in the former state of residence. You do NOT need an address in that state.

You may or may not be liable for state tax after you move to the UK. Every state is different - some try to hold onto you forever, while some recognize that you have not only changed your physical address, but have changed your domicile s well.

You should look for information on retaining a Texas DL on their website. Again, every state is different, and I don't know how it works in Texas. Some states require you to have a permanent legal address, and using a friend's address may be viewed as deception as you don't really live there. Some states REQUIRE you to report a change of address within 30 days, and you automatically surrender your license if you report a foreign address. Some states apparently don't care. But beware - keeping a DL MAY be considered a *tie* that will require you to file state income tax returns.

Having a DL or paying tax is NOT a requirement for voting absentee.

Helpful information! TX has no state income tax, which is why I'm keen that I continue to file as a former TX resident. I just have no idea how to update my record with the state so that I can vote, but also so that they know not to call me for jury duty.

I'll do some digging on the state websites to see what I can find!
Unmarried partner visa, non-priority
Online application: 27 Oct 17
Biometrics: 02 Nov 17
Docs sent via UPS: 03 Nov 17
UPS conf of docs arrival: 06 Nov 17
Sheffield conf of app received: 06 Nov 17
MP's office told no non-straightforward flags on our case; processing to be completed by following week: 18 Jan 18
Non-straightforward email: 22 Jan 18 :(
Decision made email: 25 Jan 2018
Docs returned: 29 Jan 2018

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab