Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Redundancy blows  (Read 2126 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Redundancy blows
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
I have notbing new to add because I've never looked into UK employment law.  I just want to echo everybody here in wishing you the best of luck on Friday, and I agree that you don't owe your present employer any loyalty.  Give them exactly as much as they are giving you. Less, if you can get away with it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »
You may not get redundancy pay, but the legalities of the consultation period apply to everyone at risk. 
IANAL, just a dude on the Internet.

All I can find says 2 years to get pay or to get paid for taking time to job hunt.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:47 PM »
I think the confusion is that I am talking about your rights within the consultation period.  I'd expect the company to officially tell you it has started when they announce redundancies are a possibility.  It's during that time when most of my comments were directed.  That can be months as well. 

What happens after they actually send you home is different.  You are right to not expect much then.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
I think the confusion is that I am talking about your rights within the consultation period.  I'd expect the company to officially tell you it has started when they announce redundancies are a possibility.  It's during that time when most of my comments were directed.  That can be months as well. 

What happens after they actually send you home is different.  You are right to not expect much then.
This is a small company, they're laying off like... 8 people? But that's about a 3rd of the current staff.

The consultancy period is like... This week only due to the numbers. They haven't even started meeting with people individually yet.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:40:01 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 10:34:01 PM »
Oh I’m so sorry. I hope your interview goes well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 424
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 05:40:59 AM »
I'm sorry lyonaria, but you will get the job on Friday and be far better off!

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 07:31:08 AM »
Thanks guys.

I literally can't find anything that says what you're allowed to do if you've worked less than 2 years with a company. It all only mentions 2 years. And nothing for under that.

Frustrating. I also don't know who you can call to ask and I can't easily make calls while I work as we have an open plan office. My desk is in front of the conference room  and you can see my screen from thereso researching isn't easy either.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »
You could call ACAS.  They'll be able to advise.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
You could call ACAS.  They'll be able to advise.
Thanks! Good to know. 😁

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
Well, yesterday was my last day at the terrible company. It was REALLY great to get out of there!

Today has been nice. Got to sleep in, took the dogs out on a great walk and got some fun photos of them. I'm currently sitting on the couch with Lily lying next to me and crappy American TV on the telly.

Tomorrow, I shall get my butt in gear for my theory test next month.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »
Well, yesterday was my last day at the terrible company. It was REALLY great to get out of there!

Today has been nice. Got to sleep in, took the dogs out on a great walk and got some fun photos of them. I'm currently sitting on the couch with Lily lying next to me and crappy American TV on the telly.

I know it wasn't your idea to leave, but I'm happy for you.  Now that you're never going back, you can fully appreciate just how much you hated it.  Enjoy your break while you look for what's next.

Theory test?  For your driving license?  Yay!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 02:17:54 PM »

Try to enjoy the positives, exactly as you are!  And it's okay to have a pity party if you need one.  :)

• Liked: 424
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
I just recently took my theory test, so if you have any questions maybe I can be of help?

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 04:42:53 PM »
I just recently took my theory test, so if you have any questions maybe I can be of help?

*grins*
Thanks! I have actually taken it once... I failed epically. I hadn't studied enough.

How did you get past the boringness of the hazard perception test practice videos. I just CAN'T focus on them.

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 04:46:29 PM »

How did you get past the boringness of the hazard perception test practice videos. I just CAN'T focus on them.

Gin & tonic.  makes them a bit more interesting.

Sponsored Links