Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Claiming child support/ Need advice PLEASE HELP  (Read 2253 times)

• Liked: 0
Claiming child support/ Need advice PLEASE HELP
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:59:19 PM »
First and foremost I want to thank anyone and everyone who responds. My current situation is not a good one. In 2012 I fell in love with someone from the U.K I am an American citizen. Our relationship fell apart however we have a 4 year old daughter together. My daughter was born in the U.S but we were able to get her British passport and she holds dual citizenship. In April 2016 I left fo the U.K with our daughter to join her father however our relationship fell apart a year later and I have returned to the states with our daughter. It has been 9 months that her father has yet to provide for her. He does not plan to give his daughter anything I have not only asked him for the money our daughter is entitled too but also if he could at least send her clothes or a pair of shoes, he does not want too. Is there any way that I can claim child support from the U.S? I'll appreciate any advice given, thank you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:01:40 PM by Luxury_StarXX »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Claiming child support/ Need advice PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:19:50 PM »
Very sorry to hear this.  Do you have a divorce decree?  If not yet, that will handle all the details on child support/maintenance.  Chance are you will have to come to an agreement yourselves as neither the UK court nor the US court system is likely to get involved in an international child relationship (no jurisdiction).

• Liked: 342
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:43:08 AM »
I don't know what benefits you can claim from the US for your child. Hoping someone else on here can help.

For Child Support, the UK is a REMO (Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders) country. Courts in REMO countries, can ask the Courts in other REMO countries, to enforce their Court Order for child support.

If the US is also a REMO country, you could look on that relevant US site and find out how REMO works?

• Liked: 676
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:36:35 PM »
Child support. Good luck! It took a couple of decades, but we finally got ours.... In some states there is no statute of limitations for the collection of child support, and they will use the federal systems to track down deadbeats no matter where they are. 8)

In the States you can claim head-of-household on taxes, and the child as your dependent. That will get you some help. You can also do Earned Income Credit if your income is low enough and you have lived in the States for at least six months. That could get you some monetary help . Not sure if the Rump's tax plan changes all of that - I think it might.  :-\\\\

Other than that, there's really nothing on a national level as far as financial help for a child that I know about. Depending on the state you're living in, and your income level, you might qualify for the current equivalent of foodstamps, and Medicaid for the child, and perhaps a break on state taxes (if there are any). Good luck - definitely get some sort of court document that stipulates what the absent parent should be paying, as the starter.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
Child support. Good luck! It took a couple of decades, but we finally got ours.... In some states there is no statute of limitations for the collection of child support, and they will use the federal systems to track down deadbeats no matter where they are. 8)

No statute of limitations for the collection of child support in the UK either. Which should work in favour of those using REMO to enforce a court order on a parent who resides in the UK.

Sponsored Links