Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: One way or round trip?  (Read 759 times)

• spiti mou spitaki mou
  • Liked: 0
One way or round trip?
« on: December 09, 2004, 07:58:13 AM »
Hi all,

I've started to think about my ticket to Greece next summer and it's raised a couple of questions.

A bit of background, we are planning on marrying next summer and residing in Athens afterwards. There is no Greek equivalent of a fiances visa. I am able to marry w/ just my passport and required documents and obtain a 5 year residence permit once we are married. Seems too easy, huh? :P I've searched high and low and contacted anyone/everyone trying to make it more difficult for myself and the only requirement is that we marry within 90 days of me entering the country.

1) Am I able to purchase a RT ticket w/ a return date and just.... not show up for my flight? Or call and say "I'm not going to be returning..."? Will red flags start flying off my name on some list?

2) Am I able to purchase an international one-way ticket? I guess that sounds silly, but will they look at me funny when I am entering Greece? OR in the UK?

I ask about the UK because in Sept. I made a trip to Athens w/ a rather long layover at Heathrow - 12 hours long. I had to get my bag, change terminals, check-in w/ different airlines, etc. Going through the passport guy I got the 3rd degree. Typical rundown of the same question asked 43 different ways, which I expected to some degree but continued on even after I mentioned I was in transit. He wanted to know why I was going to Greece, where I was going in Greece, who I was staying with, where did I meet him, when was I returning ...etc.  I was of course polite and answered all his questions and I realize that I could of easily just walked out of the airport in London and not got on the next plane -- but started to get a little nervous when I was answering them twice. (I really just wanted to tell him all I wanted was to use the restroom and to see if I can get an earlier flight *out* of the UK!) I'm afraid of what would have happened if I had told him 'Oh, no return ticket!'

On the other hand, entering Greece has so far, been a breeze. Three trips and all three times I'm not even sure if they said 'hello'. Maybe not the most polite, but really - I'm ok with that. I'd rather just get thru! One was a flight directly from the states so I expected more questions but I think all I got was "What's your reason for visiting Greece?" I answered "Holiday" ....stamp, and off I went.

I realize that Greece and the UK are not the same countries, but really I am just wondering what others have experienced in general. A RT ticket could end up being cheaper than a one-way but I don't want to sound off bells and whistles if I forfeit the return. But than again, if I can find a one-way at a good price I would like to take it, since flying RT that time of year to anywhere is not exactly cheap!  :o

Thanks for listening :)

Kristen

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
Re: One way or round trip?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 03:19:12 AM »
Hi, Kristen

I noticed your post a couple of days ago and thought "good question - but don't really know about this one ..." so I left the topic hoping that someone else would be able to answer with more specific advise / comments than I can. Alas - you seem to have drawn a blank so far, so let me give some thoughts / act as a souning board

Firstly, it sounds like you had transit problems in the UK ... can you get a direct flight this time, or perhaps route via Amsterdam or Paris, or fly in and out through the same terminal / in such a way you don't need to clear immigration in London?   Do remember that the UK is potentially a much tougher country to enter than the continental ones - we saw witness to that with all the crowd of would-be migrants gathered at Calais a while back.

For Greece, try to speak with others who have been in the same position (yes, I know you ARE trying to - that's part of the reason for your post here  ;) ).  You may be pleasantly surprised that, yes, it is easy compard to the UK - the UK tends to have an insular mentality and historically it's been a much more attractive place to immigrate into - two reasons why controls are tighter than many other places.  And once you're sure of how the Greek system works gather up plenty of papers and documentation to show you're doing it all the legal way - such papers should convince intermediate immigration people that you really are in transit, and you'll quite possibly even get a huge "welcome" from the Greek immigration official.

I am VERY MUCH MINDED that I know little of Greece as I write this.  Please take it as no more that thoughts and check out further, as you are doing, in as wide a range of places and possible.  And - Good luck!
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• spiti mou spitaki mou
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 05:52:44 AM »
Graham, thanks so much for your reply! I knew before I posted here it would be a long shot, but.... worth a try.

While I know I am not the only person in the world trying to do it, there are times that it feels like it! It seems that Greeks like to keep the 'how to's' and legalities of moving to their country a well kept secret ;) I'm a member of a couple of forums and for the most part it seems to be nothing but crickets chirping when Greece is mentioned. :-[  The good news is so far, when I *do* find the information it is SO much easier than what I expected. When researching what was required to marry a Greek in Greece I ended up on the phone w/ someone from the consulate. My reply was "That's it?! It can't be that easy..." ::) A few documents, a few translations.... passport... viola! In comparison to a fiances visa for him to come to the u.s. ...cakewalk  [smiley=smug2.gif]

My plan is, if at all possible, bypass the UK. That is very do-able and will come down to timing and cost. For me immigration in the UK is a much larger fear than immigration in Greece. From appearances and my experiences they seem to be very laid back. And you are right, with all the correct paperwork I can't go wrong. I am doing this legally.

And, when I make it... I think I'll put together a website! I know that people (Americans, in general) aren't exactly flooding into Athens, but for cryen out loud! It's slim pickens for info  :P

I will continue to see what I can find out about a RT ticket and forfeiting my return and possible implications of doing so. :)

Thanks again Graham, I appreciate it :)

Kristen

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 08:08:16 AM »
I think you should check with the Greek Embassy but if you are entering as a visitor/visa waiver most countries would expect you to have a return ticket.

Sponsored Links