Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Best UK banks accepting US citizens for accounts?  (Read 2762 times)

• Liked: 0
Best UK banks accepting US citizens for accounts?
« on: February 28, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
Hi,
I've been here for 10 years, and have Indefinite Leave to Remain. The only bank account I've had all this time is a joint account with husband, who has a unique current account linked to a VirginOne branded RBS mortgage account. He got the account when he bought his flat, then I applied to join onto it years later. (Mortgage is paid off, so it really just functions as a current account for both of us).

I would like to open my own current account, in case we need to close or shift our existing joint account (in which case I would have no access to money in UK). But as you know, there are 2 obstacles to US citizens starting UK accounts:

1) FATCA reporting: all banks now require you to check/tick a box if you are a US citizen. If you are, they reserve the right to reject you, because they don't wish to report activities of US citizens to the US.

2) US citizens automatically fail UK credit checks: As a non-UK citizen, I am not on the electoral roll. As you may know, that means I fail all auto-credit checks (and possibly manual ones too). I dont know any way around this. But all banks seem to require a credit check.

So:
1) Which banks have people recently had success with? Various threads seem to say Lloyds or Barclays are accepting US citizens. Should I try to do it online, and then go in? Or just make an appt to go into a branch and do it all at once?

2) How do you get around failing credit checks simply because you're not a UK citizen and not on electoral roll? If you go into the bank to apply, and explain your situation, does that help? (I'm unable to get a monthly phone plan in my name, because I always fail Carphone Warehouse auto-credit checks. And I've heard that each time you fail a credit check, your credit gets even worse).

The reason I may need my own account asap: as we are renting out the flat my husband owns, and planning to buy a new flat, we "may" be required to change his/our existing mortgage-linked account to a "buy-to-let" account. If so, it's possible that doing so, they won't let me be a joint person on the account, because of FATCA laws. (I applied and got accepted to be on the joint account before FATCA laws changed, years ago). If they don't let me be on his new account, then I'm totally screwed over, and will have NO access to UK money, other than him giving me cash!

So I thought, if I can just establish a "safety" account, regardless, I am not at the mercy of our existing bank who may cut me out.

Thanks much!

• Liked: 718
Re: Best UK banks accepting US citizens for accounts?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »
Our son, a UKC/USC, moved to England last September and opened an account with HSBC. He hadn't lived in the UK since he was 4 so had no credit record and no job. He did have an HSBC USA account. He opened an account and had to complete a W-9 but couldn't get a credit card until he had a job and established a credit history. They called him 4 months later and invited him to come in and apply for a credit card and discuss savings accounts etc. (He started work in November). He now has a credit card (Yay!)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 05:11:54 PM »
I was able to open accounts with minimal fuss with Lloyds and Barclays, LOOOONG before ILR and citizenship and no UK partner.  It's definitely false that you need to be on the electoral roll for instant credit checks.   :D

• Liked: 768
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 06:15:07 PM »
I have my own checking account with the Bank of Scotland. I opened it within a month of moving here.

I also have a month to month SIM only plan with Three. I bought my own phone outright. I had no credit at the time. I've now been building my credit up slowly and I've not even been here a year yet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:33:30 PM »
I have had my own Lloyds current account since shortly after my husband and I married in 2013, and I opened a savings account with them to tuck away ILR savings about a year ago.  I also have an ISA with Virgin.

I have previously applied for a UK credit card (I think it was through Lloyds, but I don't recall for sure).  I was approved, but never actually got the account opened because of a clerical mixup that had nothing to do with my nationality.  Anyway, my point is I was approved for a credit card.  And at the time, I was only on my first FLR(M), so still a long way from ILR, and certainly not a UKC.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:54:15 AM »
I have a Santander account that we opened (joint) about a month after I moved here.  They didn't give us any problems at all.  And I wasn't even working then and we both passed the credit check.  The banker told me that since I had had a Lloyds account as a student that builds your credit, so you having been here for much longer with another account will be fine.

Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
Elephantroom, have you considered becoming a UK citizen, there are really no disadvantages? 

As you've seen from the experiences here, it's not difficult for a USC to get a UK account. Just call the bank to see which proofs of address they need then make a new account appointment. You'll be up and running in no time!  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 01:35:54 PM »
Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I forgot to add that I'm still on extended maternity leave, so dont have a job (nor one to go back to). I am self employed, and do have a small job coming up though. I understand that most banks require proof of employment.

Would it be safe to assume that on that basis they may deny me? If I apply for a sole account?

KFDancer, I have unfortunately failed every single auto-credit check I have been put through - at places like Carphone Warehouse etc. We did research and found that not being on electoral roll was the answer. So husband had to buy my phone and plan. (AT the moment though I bought my own new phone, and have a PAYG plan from Three.)

I suppose I should find a way to check my UK credit rating, although I've heard that if you do this, it automatically lowers your credit rating. Is this true?

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »

I forgot to add that I'm still on extended maternity leave, so dont have a job (nor one to go back to). I am self employed, and do have a small job coming up though. I understand that most banks require proof of employment.

Would it be safe to assume that on that basis they may deny me? If I apply for a sole account?

KFDancer, I have unfortunately failed every single auto-credit check I have been put through - at places like Carphone Warehouse etc. We did research and found that not being on electoral roll was the answer. So husband had to buy my phone and plan. (AT the moment though I bought my own new phone, and have a PAYG plan from Three.)

I suppose I should find a way to check my UK credit rating, although I've heard that if you do this, it automatically lowers your credit rating. Is this true?
Checking your credit does not lower your credit rating.

I was unemployed when I opened my account.

I'm glad you are reaching out for real, reliable information because you've been fed a load of BS apparently over the years.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »
I bank with NatWest and am a US citizen. They have applications / accounts specific to US expats. We applied for one before we moved UK and used my spouse’s work address which was later changed to our home address.
I don’t have a UK credit card since I either use my NatWest debit or US credit cards which have no foreign transaction fees.
I did apply for credit to lease a car.  We put a deposit above the minimum and supplied them proof of address (bank statement / utility bill), passport, visa / work permit which needed to exceed time period of lease, proof of employment and details of remuneration, and driving license.  Car payment is on automatic debit.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 07:25:11 PM »
I bank with NatWest and am a US citizen. They have applications / accounts specific to US expats. We applied for one before we moved UK and used my spouse’s work address which was later changed to our home address.
I don’t have a UK credit card since I either use my NatWest debit or US credit cards which have no foreign transaction fees.
I did apply for credit to lease a car.  We put a deposit above the minimum and supplied them proof of address (bank statement / utility bill), passport, visa / work permit which needed to exceed time period of lease, proof of employment and details of remuneration, and driving license.  Car payment is on automatic debit.
Using a US issued credit or debit card could be a significant problem for anyone electing to claim the remittance basis of tax in the UK.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »
The US credit card needs to be paid with income that has been taxed in the UK.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:22:09 AM by MunichLondonExpat »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 09:41:30 AM »

I've never been asked for employment information when opening a bank account...

And I've been successful with instant access credit checks - BUT I've always had a bank account.  And honestly, I'm sure that makes a huge difference, as bank accounts count towards credit.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »

You should really go into a branch and sit down with someone, or at least give them a call. Those auto checks can be quite unforgiving but they can be overridden by a real person.  :)

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
I've never been asked for employment information when opening a bank account...

And I've been successful with instant access credit checks - BUT I've always had a bank account.  And honestly, I'm sure that makes a huge difference, as bank accounts count towards credit.
I was unemployed and on my fiance visa when I opened my current account with BoS just last April.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab