Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Frozen burritos  (Read 2113 times)

• Liked: 1327
Frozen burritos
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
Last week we had a bit of weather; I don't know if any of you noticed.  As a result of this weather, I didn't get any groceries last week. Meanwhile, my husband surprised me by coming home a day and a half early.  This meant I had to make one more meal than I normally do, but without any of the groceries I normally get. So we spent the weekend eating through the stuff that had accumulated in the freezer.

Thursday night, we made chili from some mince, which gave us leftovers for breakfast burritos on Friday and Saturday.

Friday, we slow-cooked the turkey breast joint that I'd removed from the freezer on Wednesday so it would be ready for the weekend, and that gave us leftover turkey wraps for Sunday breakfast.

Saturday, we re-heated some meatballs and pasta sauce leftover from a meal we had month ago, and I made fresh potato gnocchi (that was incredible!) to round it out.

Sunday (last night), we made lightly toasted bean and cheese burritos.  There were a few burritos left over after we ate, and my husband knows how much I miss cheap frozen burritos from WalMart, so he suggested I just wrap them up individually and freeze them in my newly-emptied freezer.  So I did...

And today I had one.  It was everything I want in a frozen burrito, but even better!  It was tasty and convenient and just the right size for one to be a snack, two to be a light lunch.  And it costs about £2 to make 8 of them using a tin of prepared refried beans and packaged tortillas!  The frozen burrito experiment is a success!  No more of those horrible Amy's Kitchen ones that cost £1 each when they're on offer, and leave me regretting the wasted £1!  Yay noms!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:44:27 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Frozen burritos
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:43:40 PM »
Last week we had a bit of weather.  I don't know if any of you noticed.  As a result of this weather I didn't get any groceries last week, and my husband came home a day and a half early.  This meant I had to make one more meal than I normally do, but without any of the groceries I normally get. So we spent the weekend eating through the stuff that had accumulated in the freezer.

Thursday night, we made chili from some mince.
Friday, we slow-cooked the turkey breast joint that I'd removed from the freezer on Wednesday so it would be ready for the weekend.
On Saturday, we re-heated some meatballs and pasta sauce leftover from a meal we had month ago, and I made fresh potato gnocchi (that was incredible!).

And then last night, we made lightly toasted bean and cheese burritos.  There were a few burritos left over after we ate, and my husband knows how much I miss cheap frozen burritos from WalMart, so he suggested I just wrap them up individually and freeze them in my newly-emptied freezer.  So I did...

And today I had one.  It was everything I want in a frozen burrito, but even better!  It was tasty and convenient and just the right size for one to be a snack, two to be a light lunch.  And it costs about £2 to make 8 of them using a tin of prepared refried beans and packaged tortillas!  The frozen burrito experiment is a success!  No more of those horrible Amy's Kitchen ones that cost £1 each when they're on offer, and leave me regretting the wasted £1!  Yay noms!

You should be like the tamale lady and start selling them for us to buy around the country...  I'd buy!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:01:05 PM »
You should be like the tamale lady and start selling them for us to buy around the country...  I'd buy!

But these aren't even real cooking... let me tell you how easy they are!

1 package of your favourite tortillas (8/package), or make your own (I'm still working on this)
1 can of "doctored" Old El Paso refried beans*
Grated cheddar cheese
A drizzle of oil for your pan
Optional: 1/4 cup of red enchilada sauce**

Make the burritos, tucking both ends in so the beans and cheese won't leak out.  In a medium-low heated pan, lightly toast the burritos all the way around.  Eat as much as you plan to eat.  Let the leftover burritos cool.  After they're cool, wrap in clingfilm and freeze.

To reheat, unwrap one, put it on a microwave-safe plate and zap for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.  Turn over and zap for another 30 seconds.  Let stand for about a minute.  It should be molten inside at this point, so be careful when you eat it.

* We add about a tablespoon of Jamaican scotch bonnet pepper sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, and about a 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder to our beans to give them some much-needed flavour.  If you use Tesco refried beans, you'll also need salt, for some reason.

** Either thin some tomato puree with water, or use a bit of passatta.  Add a small amount of each of the following: onion powder (I use asafoetida because I'm allergic to onion), garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne powder... adjust these to taste.  Be very careful with the cumin; it's easy to cross the line, and there's no coming back from it once you do.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »
But these aren't even real cooking... let me tell you how easy they are!

And this is why I didn't miss Mexican food one bit when I lived in England (I'm 1/2 Mexican and we simply call it "food") for those 8.5 years. Plus, it's the reason I don't spend more than $2 a taco here in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
CHEEEEEEEESE!!!!!!   :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'(

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
And this is why I didn't miss Mexican food one bit when I lived in England (I'm 1/2 Mexican and we simply call it "food") for those 8.5 years. Plus, it's the reason I don't spend more than $2 a taco here in Texas.

At first, I missed being able to get some ingredients easily.  But I've learned to adapt to what's available here, and I make as much as I can myself.  I've been doing okay, for the most part.  I do miss just going to a restaurant and getting the flavours I'm expecting, but I've learned to create things that I enjoy.  I'm doing okay.

The one thing I never learned how to make was that amazing tender, juicy, smoke-flavoured beef that Fajita Junction (a kiosk-style drive-through restaurant chain in San Antonio in the 80s) used in their fajitas.  And I don't know if their tortillas were white corn, or wheat flour, but they were really nice.  I wish I could re-create their flavour.

KF, I really think it's time #2 learned to fend for himself.  The sacrifice you've made is admirable, but it's time to think of yourself.  ;)

No, seriously, I realize he's got an intolerance, and this is the best way to deal with it for now... I'm just so frustrated for you!  Cheese, man!  Cheeeeeeeese!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:51 PM »
Huh?......did I hear burrito? Yeah yeah.......the home-ish made ones might be good, but do they hold anywhere near the same amount of cancer causing chemicals and addictive fat/grease as a Walmart El Monterey? :\\\'(
Fred

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »

J feels this way too.  He mourns. Alot.
I am doing okayish at the dairy free cheeze experiments. Some stuff works,  some is vile.  Most has been vile lately. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:31:51 PM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »
Huh?......did I hear burrito? Yeah yeah.......the home-ish made ones might be good, but do they hold anywhere near the same amount of cancer causing chemicals and addictive fat/grease as a Walmart El Monterey? :\\\'(

No, sorry... they're slightly lacking in preservatives and additives.  The packaged tortillas probably have some stuff (which is why I keep meaning to work on my own).  But overall, these home-ish-made ones won't be nearly as mysterious and scary.  Still tasty, though!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »

KF, I really think it's time #2 learned to fend for himself.  The sacrifice you've made is admirable, but it's time to think of yourself.  ;)

No, seriously, I realize he's got an intolerance, and this is the best way to deal with it for now... I'm just so frustrated for you!  Cheese, man!  Cheeeeeeeese!

It's tough to know when to stop... he's been biting for the last month or so.  And pulling him off and telling him no just makes him laugh...   ::)  He doesn't care if he goes without milk for biting...  <sigh>

Right now, when I'm around, we struggled to get liquids into him.  He's doing great with the formula at nursery.  Not so much if I'm in the house (let alone haven't emerged from the bed yet).

And the other night he was having an absolute meltdown and the only thing that calmed him was to nurse.  Sure enough, he relaxed and fell straight asleep.  It's a good trick to have in the bag...

Some day....  some day....

Right now I'm trying to shed the baby weight (it's about time, eh?).  So happy to stay off cheese for a bit longer to boost weight loss efforts.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »
Right now I'm trying to shed the baby weight (it's about time, eh?).  So happy to stay off cheese for a bit longer to boost weight loss efforts.

Isn't it supposed to help with losing the baby weight, too?  Win-win... but the cheese.  You win some, you win some more, you lose some.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »
Isn't it supposed to help with losing the baby weight, too?  Win-win... but the cheese.  You win some, you win some more, you lose some.

Meh.  I mean I lost *some* baby weight and was consistently losing a couple of pounds a week without trying for a while.  But then Christmas came... 

And you know - alcohol is dairy and soya free.  Ooops.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 11:27:27 PM »
This has inspired me to find a GF wrap here and hope there is a good one. Mine will be turkey and bean and I will report back with the results! ;) (probably next week.... Dinners through Friday are planned already.)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:29:17 PM »

And you know - alcohol is dairy and soya free.  Ooops.

This made me laugh! But it's true. :D (aside from baileys and a few others)

• Liked: 111
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 11:30:30 PM »

This made me laugh! But it's true. :D (aside from baileys and a few others)

There's an almond milk version of Baileys...it's available in Britain right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links