Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Childhood vaccinations - very specific question  (Read 2386 times)

• Liked: 3
Childhood vaccinations - very specific question
« on: March 08, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
Our baby was born in the UK and started his childhood vaccinations there. Then we moved to Germany when he was 10 months old. We took him for his 12 month checkup and a round of vaccines but found that the Meningitis B vaccine he started in the UK isn't given in Germany and he needs one final dose of it. We can bring him back to the UK to get it there but not sure how the system would work really. Would we use our German issued EHIC? Or do we need a new GP registration as a temporary resident or some such thing? For that matter is there anywhere other than a GP surgery where children can get vaccinations? I called our old GP and they were quite unsure of how to handle it all.

We are dual US/UK citizens if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
Re: Childhood vaccinations - very specific question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
Our baby was born in the UK and started his childhood vaccinations there. Then we moved to Germany when he was 10 months old. We took him for his 12 month checkup and a round of vaccines but found that the Meningitis B vaccine he started in the UK isn't given in Germany and he needs one final dose of it. We can bring him back to the UK to get it there but not sure how the system would work really. Would we use our German issued EHIC? Or do we need a new GP registration as a temporary resident or some such thing? For that matter is there anywhere other than a GP surgery where children can get vaccinations? I called our old GP and they were quite unsure of how to handle it all.

Thanks in advance!

I would call the GP surgery that you were last registered with and ask what they suggest.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 07:04:15 PM »
Superdrug and Boots stores offer vaccinations (certain ones) and they do Men B.  Will cost £100ish and you book online.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:28:10 PM »
I would call the GP surgery that you were last registered with and ask what they suggest.
Did you read the original post? It states specifically that the GP surgery was consulted and was unsure. If the GP surgery had given a clear answer there would be no need to use forums like this one.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »
Superdrug and Boots stores offer vaccinations (certain ones) and they do Men B.  Will cost £100ish and you book online.
That's useful, thanks!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 10:28:37 PM »
Did you read the original post? It states specifically that the GP surgery was consulted and was unsure. If the GP surgery had given a clear answer there would be no need to use forums like this one.

I hope you get your answer soon!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1891
Childhood vaccinations - very specific question
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »

I've got a suggestion for what you should do.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:34:22 AM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »
Tsk, tsk.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:46:32 AM »
We can bring him back to the UK to get it there but not sure how the system would work really. Would we use our German issued EHIC? Or do we need a new GP registration as a temporary resident or some such thing? For that matter is there anywhere other than a GP surgery where children can get vaccinations? I called our old GP and they were quite unsure of how to handle it all.

Thanks in advance!

Under the Immigration Act 2014, bill free use of the NHS ("ordinarily resident") is only for British citizens and those with a valid ILR, who reside in the UK. Even British citizens have to pay to use the NHS when we visit the UK and we too get 50% added to our bill if we don't have insurance, unless that is a service given for free. Vaccinations are not a free service.

This lists what is a free service for NHS England and has links to the NHS Scotland and NHS Wales, to see what they will give as a free service.
Individuals who are not ordinarily resident in the UK may be required to pay for their care when they are in England. However, some services and some individuals are exempt from payment.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-entitlements-migrant-health-guide

You could check on the German website to see if Germany would pay for your child via their EHIC, but as these EHICs are only to cover an emergency while visiting another EEA country, I doubt Germany would pay. Even a birth would not be covered by an EHIC, unless you suddenly went into early labour while visiting.

As the NHS would have to add 50% to your bill, KFdancer seems to have the answer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:24:23 AM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links