Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bunko  (Read 1462 times)

• Liked: 154
Bunko
« on: March 08, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »
I randomly met an American in Aldi tonight and she’s invited me to a bunko tomorrow night. I so want to go but I’m so nervous lol

Re: Bunko
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »
I cut that off short. Would you go?? I’m so shy I’m afraid it’ll be awkward but when else do you get the chance to be invited to a social event?

• Liked: 424
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
I cut that off short. Would you go?? I’m so shy I’m afraid it’ll be awkward but when else do you get the chance to be invited to a social event?
I would go for it! I'm not very social and never played, but no guts... No glory.  It's worth the risk.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 82
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:37:54 PM »
What's bunko?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
I would go for it! I'm not very social and never played, but no guts... No glory.  It's worth the risk.

I decided to go. It’s mostly military spouses so if all else fails I’ll have contacts on base now lol. No I’m all seriousness the lady was extremely nice, so it should be nice.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
What's bunko?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I’m not sure. My mom plays it once a month with the neighborhood girls, I think it’s a dice game

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 07:53:19 PM »
I’m not sure. My mom plays it once a month with the neighborhood girls, I think it’s a dice game
Yes, a dice game that is pretty much luck. A good chance to make new friends. 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:11:56 PM »
I decided to go. It’s mostly military spouses so if all else fails I’ll have contacts on base now lol. No I’m all seriousness the lady was extremely nice, so it should be nice.

Ohmigosh, I would love to live near a military base... I miss base privileges.  Have fun!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 46
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 05:33:29 AM »

Go for it! Can’t hurt and it’s a chance to make some new friends!  :)
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »
It's really hard to go to your first event but SOOO worth the effort.  If you have a horrible time, you never have to go again!  :)

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 07:43:24 AM »
I went. It was fun, I’ll probably go again, but it was also very clear I was not the same as the others lol. Most are stay at home house wives living on base or just around base. So  where I’ve forced myself to try to to blend with English culture (because I had to to really survive here) they are very much still all American.  If that makes any sense.  So I felt a bit lost, like I did when I first moved to the UK. I think I’m starting to become culturally blended I’m not sure where I belong lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 01:09:10 PM »
I went. It was fun, I’ll probably go again, but it was also very clear I was not the same as the others lol. Most are stay at home house wives living on base or just around base. So  where I’ve forced myself to try to to blend with English culture (because I had to to really survive here) they are very much still all American.  If that makes any sense.  So I felt a bit lost, like I did when I first moved to the UK. I think I’m starting to become culturally blended I’m not sure where I belong lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally get that!

I lived in England for 8.5 years and only met one American during that entire time organically (where we bumped into each other) and she was the nurse who delivered my daughter! She had been in England for nine years before me and I was the only American she had ever met too.

I did have one meetup in 2002 with American women and it wasn't a very positive experience. They were military wives who lived on base as well and had so little interactions with the English that they lived in a bubble. I simply couldn't relate to them despite being a SAHM with kids the same ages as theirs. I was a bit shocked that they simply hated being in England and did say absolutely terrible things about the English.  That pissed me off but I ended up leaving half way because they started referring to me, not by my name (I had a name tag) but the "Mexican lady". Hello, I'm American too!

Because of my marriage to my English husband and having two dual citizen children and we are back in the US, I don't feel like I fit anywhere. I was already awkward to begin with since I'm half Mexican so I'm too American to fit in with the Mexican community and I am too Mexican to fit in with Americans. So, I decided to join a British Expat group in my suburb of Houston. Ugh. Many of them are on temporary contracts due to the oil and gas industry so their kids are in the British school and they spend a great deal of time talking crap about living in Texas and say jerk things about Americans. Basically, they're no different than the Americans in England I met.

I'm so over trying to fit anywhere so the only thing I would suggest Eh is to just do you and live your life. And we are a better bunch in this forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
Our local American meetup group is great as we have several people who have been in the UK for 20 years plus and then new comers.  What is frustrating is that the meetups are the same core group.  We have about 80 people part of the "group".  I've probably only met a dozen in real life and we have 8ish who regularly attend stuff.

I'm not at all bothered if other Americans don't want to meetup.  I just don't know why they'd join a meetup group if they don't want to meetup.   ;D

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »
I'd love to meet up with a few, there just aren't many up my way. Being a little more social wouldn't do me any harm.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 03:02:34 PM »
I'd love to meet up with a few, there just aren't many up my way. Being a little more social wouldn't do me any harm.

That's my thing.  I have some fabulous British friends but I can't bug them to keep me entertained ALL the time.  I need multiple social circles.   ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab