Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Notary  (Read 2445 times)

• Liked: 4
Notary
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »
I am in need of a US notary in the UK or heck even wales/scotland/France to get some US documents notarised. I can't go to the embassy as the next "emergency" appointment for any of the closest locations are two weeks. Does anyone know of anybody/service/etc?

• Liked: 6110
Re: Notary
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »
I am in need of a US notary in the UK or heck even wales/scotland/France to get some US documents notarised. I can't go to the embassy as the next "emergency" appointment for any of the closest locations are two weeks. Does anyone know of anybody/service/etc?

Try the US consulate in Edinburgh, you may get in sooner. https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/edinburgh/ 

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:34:10 PM »
Thanks, they direct you back to the London office ???
Try the US consulate in Edinburgh, you may get in sooner. https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/edinburgh/

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 03:38:27 PM »
Thanks, they direct you back to the London office ???

You called them and they told you to call London?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »
Does it 100% have to be a USA notary?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »
Does it 100% have to be a USA notary?
it does not have to be a US notary but it cant be an English notary meaning Id' have to travel to scotland or wales, get in notarised and get back same day.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
I called and the automated query directs you to bookingall notary appointments online. When you go to book online it takes you to London's booking although you are on edinburgh page ???
You called them and they told you to call London?

• Liked: 149
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »
I've made a couple of changes to my retirement account in the last year or so. It's a US Govt account and I was able to use a Notary for that here in the UK. Costs me about £100. From what that lady has told me, a Notary here isn't just someone who will sign something for you like back in the US. They have a fair bit of work behind them to get to that stage...semi-lawyer I think?
Fred

• Liked: 768
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
I called and the automated query directs you to bookingall notary appointments online. When you go to book online it takes you to London's booking although you are on edinburgh page ???
I just sent a message to someone I am acquainted with who works at the consulate in Edinburgh. I'll report back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
This is the proper link to book an appointment in Edinburgh.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/notary-services-for-all-nationalities/scheduling-an-appointment-consulate-edinburgh/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 21
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
I’ve used online notaries - the law allows it. I used this one https://www.notarycam.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrFvQecS3nlFCUJNsRaCWl20-XR3NkYO48dhQGdkBR0_ccFxC4EuT8oaAi0EEALw_wcB

There are others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
Also need a notary. Looked at the Edinburgh Consulate website and note that there are a lot of documents they will not notarize (such as a US birth cert), and those they notarize will are $50 a pop. Need to contact them to see if they can do what we need (certify that copies are true copies of original documents), but am not hopeful. They also will not do witnessing on documents.

Have been doing some sleuthing, and it appears that JP Courts in Scotland are supposed to do Notary as needed at no charge. Have sent them an email to see if they can do what we need and will post here if we find out that is the case.

Going to see a lawyer soon about a free (donation to Charity) will. Emailed them to see what they would charge the Daughter to do what she needs done. My guess is that it won't be cheap. In the States it was $15 a stamp. The Notaries I'm finding online here are exponentially more than that. I would assume a lawyer's office will be even more.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:13:37 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 63
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
We recently has to have a document notarized for use in the US - a limited POA for my brother to act/sign documents related to the sale of our deceased father's house.

The lawyer there said not problem using a UK notary, which we did. She was also a lawyer, and the fee was £80. It satisfied the requirement in NC, which is all we cared about.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »
We recently has to have a document notarized for use in the US - a limited POA for my brother to act/sign documents related to the sale of our deceased father's house.

The lawyer there said not problem using a UK notary, which we did. She was also a lawyer, and the fee was £80. It satisfied the requirement in NC, which is all we cared about.

+1

I went through a similar exercise for a POA to the US. The US attorney supplied the form, but with all the crossing out of the "My commission expires on" (a UK solicitor/notary never expires), all the ribbons, sealing wax, and embossed big red seals, it must have caused quite a stir in the small Midwest town. It was never questioned and the POA was accepted.

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »
Yes they aare like unicorns over here and charge as much as finding one ;D
But did find one!
I've made a couple of changes to my retirement account in the last year or so. It's a US Govt account and I was able to use a Notary for that here in the UK. Costs me about £100. From what that lady has told me, a Notary here isn't just someone who will sign something for you like back in the US. They have a fair bit of work behind them to get to that stage...semi-lawyer I think?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab