Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bupropion/Wellbutrin (US)/Zyban (UK)  (Read 2469 times)

• Liked: 14
Bupropion/Wellbutrin (US)/Zyban (UK)
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
Just spoke with my GP, and it's not looking good for me getting bupropion prescribed as an antidepressant here. I've been on Wellbutrin for awhile but just ran out. Sounds like it's only prescribed as a smoking cessation aid here, in the form of Zyban.

Any tips for getting my correct meds over here? Plan B is to contact my doctor in the US and get a new Rx filled when I'm back for a visit.
Unmarried partner visa, non-priority
Online application: 27 Oct 17
Biometrics: 02 Nov 17
Docs sent via UPS: 03 Nov 17
UPS conf of docs arrival: 06 Nov 17
Sheffield conf of app received: 06 Nov 17
MP's office told no non-straightforward flags on our case; processing to be completed by following week: 18 Jan 18
Non-straightforward email: 22 Jan 18 :(
Decision made email: 25 Jan 2018
Docs returned: 29 Jan 2018

• Liked: 14
Re: Bupropion/Wellbutrin (US)/Zyban (UK)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
Just wanted to provide an update here, in case anyone else is in the same position. I contacted several private providers in NI, and only one was willing to prescribe Zyban for off-label usage for me (3fivetwo Group, Belfast). Their initial consultation appointment was £350, though. I have no idea what additional costs I may have encountered (e.g., how much the prescription would have cost out of pocket or if they would have required additional follow-up appointments).

Since I have a good relationship with my US doctor, I went to see her again when I was back home this summer. Paid $90 out of pocket for an uninsured consultation and then used a GoodRx coupon at Kroger to refill the prescription in full. I got over a year's supply of my prescription for $220.

Ultimately, since I was going back to the US anyway, getting the prescription filled there was a more economical solution for me. Given the situation, my doctor is willing to continue prescribing it as needed as long as I'm willing to come in for a consultation ahead of each 12-month refill. I plan to visit my family at least once a year, so I think this will have to be my long term solution until the UK gets on board with Wellbutrin for depression here.

Wish I had more success to report on the UK side of things....
Unmarried partner visa, non-priority
Online application: 27 Oct 17
Biometrics: 02 Nov 17
Docs sent via UPS: 03 Nov 17
UPS conf of docs arrival: 06 Nov 17
Sheffield conf of app received: 06 Nov 17
MP's office told no non-straightforward flags on our case; processing to be completed by following week: 18 Jan 18
Non-straightforward email: 22 Jan 18 :(
Decision made email: 25 Jan 2018
Docs returned: 29 Jan 2018

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab