Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name change and passport renewal  (Read 1176 times)

• Liked: 154
Name change and passport renewal
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:35:15 PM »
Hey all, I hope you had a good Easter. In a tiny panic as my passport expires in September. I thought I’d play it cool and apply for a new one in July/August time as  I changed my name on my SSN and If I waited till then I wouldn’t have to pay the fee for my brp as my visa expires in Oct.

My husband just pointed out a problem in my plan. Due to my brother planning a last minute wedding, we are now going to America in September (already going in June for a friends wedding).

I’m worried I won’t have time to renew and get a new one between June and Sept, but I also am afraid of renewing without changing my name because my SSN is in my married name now. I really don’t want to pay a fee to change my brp if possible.

Any advice? Can I renew on my maiden even though my SSN says else wise?

Thank you!

• Liked: 47
Re: Name change and passport renewal
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
My SSN is in my maiden name and I just renewed my passport to my married name in January without a hitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:45:32 PM »
Hey all, I hope you had a good Easter. In a tiny panic as my passport expires in September. I thought I’d play it cool and apply for a new one in July/August time as  I changed my name on my SSN and If I waited till then I wouldn’t have to pay the fee for my brp as my visa expires in Oct.

My husband just pointed out a problem in my plan. Due to my brother planning a last minute wedding, we are now going to America in September (already going in June for a friends wedding).

I’m worried I won’t have time to renew and get a new one between June and Sept, but I also am afraid of renewing without changing my name because my SSN is in my married name now. I really don’t want to pay a fee to change my brp if possible.

Any advice? Can I renew on my maiden even though my SSN says else wise?

Thank you!

You have plenty of time to renew between June and September.  At the absolute peak in a year, it only takes up to 4 weeks to renew.

I’d just do it between trips.  I’d bring info for the second trip showing you are about to submit a new application in your married name and that you know you only have 90 days to update UKVI.  I’d also bring your marriage certificate.

As you’ve changed your name with SS, just be sure to f8le your taxes in the name that matches the social security records and you’ll be fine.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
That was my next question.. if I did change it what does immigration want to see at the airport to prove I’ll be renewing my visa soon in the correct name.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 06:57:17 PM »
That was my next question.. if I did change it what does immigration want to see at the airport to prove I’ll be renewing my visa soon in the correct name.

Just knowledge of the process will likely be enough.  :)

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »

I did read the wait times. But wasn’t Sure if the were accurate, thanks for confirming

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »

I did read the wait times. But wasn’t Sure if the were accurate, thanks for confirming

The US embassy is really good at keeping accurate times on their website.

Sponsored Links