Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yet Another "Does anyone know where...."  (Read 775 times)

• Liked: 674
Yet Another "Does anyone know where...."
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:47:05 AM »
Ok. The Daughter has this friend in the States who is getting married. Daughter wants to send said friend some really good Scottish booze. [It's a big deal for her.]  Neither I nor said Daughter drink, so I wouldn't know good Scottish whiskey if it ran up and bit me on the.... anyway, so I need a recommendation for something classy that won't break what is left of Daughter's bank account.  The caveats are that it has to be "Scottish" and preferably tasty. Ideas?

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Yet Another "Does anyone know where...."
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:58:06 AM »
I really like Benromach 10 year old Scotch. I visited the Benromach distillery when I was up in Scotland last year and it was a great tour, plus the whisky is really drinkable and not super challenging for people who aren't big Scotch drinkers. It's quite caramelly, with just a bit of smoke. Plus, it's a small distillery and I don't think it's widely sold in the US, so it'd make a unique gift.

On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:38:28 AM »
(psssst... 'whisky' is Scottish/Scotch.  'Whiskey' is Irish, or just about any other type.)

I don't know much about whisky, but I've tasted a few, and Highland Park is my favourite.  Sometimes you can find a box set of Highland Park which comes with 2 wee glasses, which would be a nice gift.

Unless you already know they like it, I'd avoid any Islay malts, as the peat flavour can be off-putting if you're not used to it.  I hate Islay malts. 

There are nice Scottish craft gins about these days too.

• Liked: 248
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
Have a look at this web site.

https://www.masterofmalt.com

They deliver to you in the UK, have reviews and have gift ideas.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »
(psssst... 'whisky' is Scottish/Scotch.  'Whiskey' is Irish, or just about any other type.)
Unless you already know they like it, I'd avoid any Islay malts, as the peat flavour can be off-putting if you're not used to it.  I hate Islay malts. 

Preach. A bit of peat smoke is nice, but Islay is like licking the fireplace.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the advice. Whiskey/Whisky = Hooch. Daughter needs to send hooch, that specific variety is requested.  ;) Will now avoid Islay Hooch. Have passed along info on Highland Park and Benromach, thanks!

If anyone else has personal recommendations, that's what we're looking for - doing internet searches just gives you well-marketed products, not personal opinions.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:54:08 PM »
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the advice. Whiskey/Whisky = Hooch. Daughter needs to send hooch, that specific variety is requested.  ;) Will now avoid Islay Hooch. Have passed along info on Highland Park and Benromach, thanks!

If anyone else has personal recommendations, that's what we're looking for - doing internet searches just gives you well-marketed products, not personal opinions.
Glenmorangie is nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
Preach. A bit of peat smoke is nice, but Islay is like licking the fireplace.

A dab behind the ears keeps the midges at bay.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
Glenmorangie is nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll pass that along. The Daughter is hip-deep in library books doing a last paper for her class for the next few days, but early next week we'll be popping out to try to find something appropriate. The wedding is in early May, so we've kinda got to get a wiggle on or it's going to arrive late!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »
Nan, my mom finally got back to me.  A friend of hers is really into Scotch Whisky and this is her favourite which she cannot find in the USA.

I know nothing about it!  I'd just as well drink diesel.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »
Nan, my mom finally got back to me.  A friend of hers is really into Scotch Whisky and this is her favourite which she cannot find in the USA.

I know nothing about it!  I'd just as well drink diesel.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I kind of feel that way about most alcohol. My body simply won't let me drink it.  Thanks for checking, I'll pass that along to the Kiddo.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab