Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Low carb/GF/Sugar Free foods!  (Read 1425 times)

• Lover of Target and M&S
  • Liked: 43
Low carb/GF/Sugar Free foods!
« on: April 06, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »
We started chatting about gluten free and different foods like that on another thread.
I follow a sugar free/carb free/sometimes GF diet plan. Anyone want to swap recipies, websites, good places to buy all this stuff?
Brands etc?
Type of Application: Priority Settlement Spouse Visa
Online Application: 9 March, 2019  Philadelphia,US
Biometrics: 14 March 2019, Philadelphia
Application Mailed: 14 March 2019
Application Received in NY: 15 March 2019
Application Received in Sheffield: 19 March 2019
Decision email received: 16 April 2019
Passport received: 17 April 2019

• Liked: 674
Re: Low carb/GF/Sugar Free foods!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »
We try to do low-carb. I get a lot of my stuff shipped over from Vitacost in the States - it's usually cheaper to have them ship things like almond flour, etc., when they are on sale than it is to try to source these types of items locally. (Vitacost.com)

My daughter doesn't do well on a lot of the "no sugar" foods we find here as they contain either aspartame or sucralose, and she has reactions to both.  Occasionally we find some with the sugar alcohols (the "tols") that we do get. There can be side effects to those, however.... ::) Stevia is ok, but it's hard to use it in baking (proportions).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:50:27 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 03:00:34 PM »

My daughter doesn't do well on a lot of the "no sugar" foods we find here as they contain either aspartame or sucralose, and she has reactions to both.  Occasionally we find some with the sugar alcohols (the "tols") that we do get. There can be side effects to those, however.... ::) Stevia is ok, but it's hard to use it in baking (proportions).

I make a baking sweetener blend. One has eurythrol (sp?), Xylitol, and stevia extract. The other is eurythrol and stevia.
I can’t do any one at a time, but the blends don’t bother me! There’s a few blogs I follow.
Www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com
Sugar free Londoner
And there’s a load on Pinterest.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
Hi!  Yeah, we don't do Pinterest (which my daughter says tends to promote intellectual property theft/ copyright infringement) or Facebook (if you're not paying for it, you are ~not~ the end customer). ;)   I'll have to check out those blogs you provided, though, thanks!

I have a number of cookbooks for people with diabetes, which have some really nice stuff in them but (of course) almost no baked goods.  I do also have a small library of old cookbooks from the 1920s, 30s, and 1940s (plus a few from the 1800s) that I like to cook from. One of the 1940s ones has a wartime supplement in it that is really rather enlightening - recipes for baked goods that you would think absolutely required sugar having veg substituted in, that sort of thing.  I've also got some recipes from the Minister of Food (WW2 UK) that use potatoes in place of flour, with no sugar added, which are really nice.

I have noticed that over the years the trend has been for baked goods, especially, to become more sweet at the loss of subtle flavors and textures. While some of the cakes from the 1930s Southern "special occasions" cake book could stun a diabetic a mile off, they are more of an exception than a rule. (At least, in my library.)  There are some recipes for things like gingerbread that rely on molasses and the spices to "carry" the taste, and are really pleasant and relatively low carb. I much prefer the texture of the older recipes to what you'd get in a shop today, as well. There is a definite texture thing going on that you don't have in a "from scratch" product.

Right now I've got an old hippy bread cookbook (Uprisings) out, and am rising some oatmeal/wholemeal/spelt bread in the kitchen. It is making the front of the house smell like yeast bread and I am soooo looking forward to putting it in to bake.  It uses 1/4 cup of honey and makes two big loaves (it promises), so I'm hoping it will come out well. I have never actually made this one, so fingers are crossed!  The honey has a better glycemic index than sugar, and the oats add fiber, which helps with the glycemic index of the whole loaf.  Most of the time when I make something for every day I use almond flour and oatmeal, with only a very small amount of spelt or hard white wheat, and get a pleasant product. When the current bread is done baking I'll be making blueberry bread, with the fresh blueberries being almost all the sweetener, using the almond/oat/spelt flour mix. I've made that one before and it comes out great.

In the States I liked Truvia Baking blend - cane sugar, Stevia, and Erythritol - for baked goods. It worked really well as you got the chemical action the sugar needs to cause in the process, but the Stevia and Erythritol provided the "sweet" taste. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be on the shelf at my local grocery stores. I have to be careful with Erythritol, though, as I get a sort of metabolic blow-back thing from it. A short time after eating something with Ery in it and I can taste it very strongly on my breath as my body is getting rid of it! Still better than the after-effects of the sugar alcohols, tho!  ;D

I tend to substitute fruit and berries (especially raisins/currants) a lot for the "sweet" in baked goods that don't need the sugar for the chemical process. I will sometimes substitute honey, but in lesser quantities. I've also fiddled with making some blends myself - Stevia is good and sweet, but I still find that food made with it tastes of Stevia. Xylitol I can detect immediately, and find it has an after-taste. My daughter can ID it in like three bites, and says it's bitter. So... I spend a lot of time in the kitchen fiddling around trying to do things that work a bit better for us.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:00:05 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:17:13 PM »
The almond cake recipe is:

3/4 cup unsalted butter
sugar substitute (adjust to equal 1 cup sugar)
4 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (Pure, not the stuff with sugar in it. Hard to find pure in the UK.)
1 & 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time, until fully blended. Add milk and vanilla, mix until combined. 

In a separate bowl, combine flours, salt, baking powder. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, beat until creamy. 

Spread batter in greased 9"x13" pan (or similar) and bake for 30 minutes.

--------------------------
This cake is very dense, but very tasty. It goes well with fruit and whipped cream.  I often will drop the sugar/sugar substitute content down and add some fresh blueberries, which here in the UK are sweet rather than the kind of tart ones we had in the States.

I check the carb counts and calories per serving at the following website, to know how much can go on a plate if someone is counting either (and this is NOT low-calorie by any means!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

Nutrition per serving, in grams, if cut into 12 servings:

Calories    246
Carbs     15
Fat             19    
Protein      6    
Sodium    121
Sugar         1    

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:24:31 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »
The almond cake recipe is:

3/4 cup unsalted butter
sugar substitute (adjust to equal 1 cup sugar)
4 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (Pure, not the stuff with sugar in it. Hard to find pure in the UK.)
1 & 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time, until fully blended. Add milk and vanilla, mix until combined. 

In a separate bowl, combine flours, salt, baking powder. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, beat until creamy. 

Spread batter in greased 9"x13" pan (or similar) and bake for 30 minutes.

--------------------------
This cake is very dense, but very tasty. It goes well with fruit and whipped cream.  I often will drop the sugar/sugar substitute content down and add some fresh blueberries, which here in the UK are sweet rather than the kind of tart ones we had in the States.

I check the carb counts and calories per serving at the following website, to know how much can go on a plate if someone is counting either (and this is NOT low-calorie by any means!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

Nutrition per serving, in grams, if cut into 12 servings:

Calories    246
Carbs     15
Fat             19    
Protein      6    
Sodium    121
Sugar         1
Sainsbury's has pure vanilla :) A bunch of their dried fruit is also no added sugar and sulphite free. I bought some hoping to make hot cross buns for Easter before we learned the oven was truly broken (but will be replaced in just days! Yay!)

I use Pinterest for bloggers I've always followed, so I know their content is not stolen. But I agree it is rife with issues and stolen content. Having linking issues but my username is margo_serenity.

I really like the woman Tasty Yummies because she's from my home town and was always the sweetest in yoga classes, and she makes some really amazing food. And Elana's Pantry for lots of coconut flour treats.

I tend to like just following low sugar recipes vs replacing it with anything, because while I don't get super negative effects from sugar alcohols I have reactive hypoglycaemia so I avoid things that can make it worse. (current research seems to be that alternative sweeteners still tell insulin producing cells you had something sweet)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:24:24 PM by margo »

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:14:23 PM »
I follow the Trim Healthy Mama diet. A lot of ladies use Monk Fruit as a sweetener.
I use a lot of recipes from the trim Healthy mama books and Carolyn Ketchum. Both have books on amazon.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »
I just made the almond cake, with blueberries dotted on top, but used a new sugar substitute, Whole Earth's Sweet Granules with Stevia.  Cake looks lovely, tastes good, is +/- 15 carbs a slice. And after finishing it I've got that same weird aftertaste ruining the experience. Daughter picked up on it immediately, too.  :( 

Oh well, it was worth a shot - gotta try new things, sometimes they work.  I'd love to say my going low carb was something we just decided to do, but we need to keep meals down to about 50 carbs each meal, and two high-protein, low carb snacks, per day, per the docs, so... that's what I try to do. Given the Daughter doesn't care for fresh greens, meeting that limit while having a variety of foods that also meet all the usual nutritional guidelines can be challenging.

Hmmmm. Have heard of Monk Fruit. Will have to see if I can get a sample to try.

Great to hear Sainsbury's has pure vanilla! It really is so hard to find the good stuff. We are waiting for the one that Waitrose carries, from Uganda, to come back in stock. It's only made a batch at a time in a sustainable way and is wonderful, but when it's out, it's out until the next stock comes in. I'm going to buy quiet a bit of it once it's back in the store so I don't run out again this year. I love the flavor of Madagascar vanilla, and used it for years, but it turns out that the farmers are pretty much destroying the wildlife of Madagascar to grow it these days, so I have ethical issues with buying it unless there's no other variety available.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:16 PM »
You can make your own, but it takes time. We just bought some at Costco here and it was $34.00

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12:42 PM »
Bought which? Vanilla?  Yeah, you can steep pods in bourbon (or another alcohol), but that's a little overkill for my needs, I think!  ;D

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 10:51:10 PM »
Bought which? Vanilla?  Yeah, you can steep pods in bourbon (or another alcohol), but that's a little overkill for my needs, I think!  ;D
Yep I've done that before. But I don't use enough! I'll have to keep an eye for the waitrose one. I brought a large bottle from trader joe's in my luggage last trip to Buffalo.

Whole earth definitely has a weird taste. It's the low carb sweetener at Starbucks and it uses too much stevia.

And I plan on trying monk fruit on its own some time. I've heard it's quite good for you :)   

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 12:17:15 AM »
Vanilla.
My husband doesn’t believe me that I need a big suitcase!

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 08:55:44 AM »
Vanilla.
My husband doesn’t believe me that I need a big suitcase!
You'll probably need a few suitcases!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
I bought my vanilla from Ocado. It wasn't too expensive. Not as cheap as buying the large bottle from Sam's, but not as dear as I was expecting.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »
We have a bulk food place here. I have bought pure vanilla in their baking section. It was a big bottle, and not terribly expensive. I’m not sure if you have any shops like that, but it may be worth a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links