Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Potential move with Labrador  (Read 1232 times)

• Liked: 1
Potential move with Labrador
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »
What would be the best way to move a young (1.5 years old) Lab to the UK?  I hate the idea of him in air cargo for such a long trip.  I hate the idea of him in air cargo at all! What are the costs like?  I was looking into QM2 and of course the only reasonable fares for people are the first and last of the season -- the two trips that you can't take pets on.  My son surely won't go without him.  The cats are easy enough, its just his 70 lb yellow behind I'm worried about.

Thanks for any insights folks!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Potential move with Labrador
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 03:29:54 PM »
None of us like the idea of our pets in cargo.  I can promise you that.

BUT, my vet really reassured me.  I moved my two cats.

He explained that animals are much happier in the hold.  Their crates must have ample room to stand up and turn around.  They are anchored down tight.  The area they are in is dark and heated so it's cozy and warm.  The lull of the engines soothes them and they usually sleep most of the journey.

He went on to say that if they were in the cabin (which isn't possible for any domestic animals into the UK), they would be restricted in space, with the lights going on and off, feet going by continuously, and the big trolleys going up and down the aisles.

Might have been a load of B.S. but it made me feel a lot better.  And my cats were big eyed but happy when they arrived.

I used a pet relocation company (Air Animal) but that was back when it was more difficult to bring animals in.  They've relaxed the rules quite a bit since then, so easy enough for people to manage their own paperwork.

I've had a few friends move dogs here and back - with no issues.  My friend moved her 14 year old dog back recently and he did beautifully.

• Liked: 1
Re: Potential move with Labrador
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 03:34:24 PM »
None of us like the idea of our pets in cargo.  I can promise you that.

BUT, my vet really reassured me.  I moved my two cats.

He explained that animals are much happier in the hold.  Their crates must have ample room to stand up and turn around.  They are anchored down tight.  The area they are in is dark and heated so it's cozy and warm.  The lull of the engines soothes them and they usually sleep most of the journey.

He went on to say that if they were in the cabin (which isn't possible for any domestic animals into the UK), they would be restricted in space, with the lights going on and off, feet going by continuously, and the big trolleys going up and down the aisles.

Might have been a load of B.S. but it made me feel a lot better.  And my cats were big eyed but happy when they arrived.

I used a pet relocation company (Air Animal) but that was back when it was more difficult to bring animals in.  They've relaxed the rules quite a bit since then, so easy enough for people to manage their own paperwork.

I've had a few friends move dogs here and back - with no issues.  My friend moved her 14 year old dog back recently and he did beautifully.
Well that’s interesting.  We’d fly Delta or one of their partners to make the trip as I have the most status with them.  He goes to the vet today for his annual checkup and my intent was to talk to them about this potential relocation then, work on getting his pet passport regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links