Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Guardian: Profiles of people affected by changing UK immigration rules/enforcement  (Read 2184 times)

• Liked: 1
The Guardian has had a couple of articles this weekend profiling people affected by immigration issues.

This one discusses families split up by the current financial requirements for familial visas: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/14/couldnt-hold-newborn-son-families-split-visa-laws

And this one highlights people who were brought over as children and are facing deportation 50 years later: https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
The Guardian has had a couple of articles this weekend profiling people affected by immigration issues.

This one discusses families split up by the current financial requirements for familial visas: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/14/couldnt-hold-newborn-son-families-split-visa-laws

And this one highlights people who were brought over as children and are facing deportation 50 years later: https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Looks like Amber Rudd apologised for the Windrush era folks, but how will they be compensated for lost jobs, homes and emotional trauma?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/16/theresa-may-caribbean-representatives-windrush-immigration?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 672
This is so sad.  They had a guy on the BBC radio, being interviewed, who said he'd lost his job/home/medical care and had gotten suicidal. He said he knew of people with cancer who the NHS would not treat. Their blood will be on the UK govmt. hands if anyone dies! I note all the govmt. is saying is that, well, nobody's actually been deported, that they know of, as if no harm has been done by this. People's lives and sense of well-being/belonging being totally shredded is not made mention. [Turning on your own people! There's no honor in the H.O. it seems.]

And people I talk to wonder why I'm so unbelieving when I hear all that "oh, you'll be able to stay after Brexit, nothing to worry about" stuff.  There's a track record going here with the H.O. of particularly egregious outcomes.

I hope all those Windrush people are ok. That's just so sad.

I've been talking with my husband about this pretty much every night. No one is taking responsibility for turning their lives upside down. No one is doing anything about the horrible attitude pervasive through society now that all immigrants are bad. (curious if the UN will also put a report out on this, if anyone has been following disabled rights in the UK they'll see that the government has a horrible record and are not in accordance with the UN treaty, but very little has changed so far.)

I want to see how the government will make reparations to the people who have lost their jobs and their homes, and became more ill because of their mistakes. And this doesn't include any that may have actually been deported!

• Liked: 1891
I can't help but see the racism apparent in this. 

• Liked: 4985
I can't help but see the racism apparent in this.

Yup.  Big time.

Sadly, yeah, me, too.

Did you guys see the case on the news last night of the woman who was (almost?) forcibly deported and then died a week later?  The home office led by Theresa May illegitimately hassled this couple for years and finally killed the woman.  Apparently their crime was being black while trying to live in the UK.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/11/woman-accused-of-faking-illness-to-avoid-uk-deportation-died-five-days-later

The Guardian article doesn't go into the years of harassment that got them there.

It's really horrifying Jim.

I'm having an admittedly very hard time adapting to life here, and things like this make me incredibly upset. Like why did I give up everything back home to come live in such a racist xenophobic country with a health care system that doesn't want to treat sick people? (not that the states are much better right now)

I haven't seen a single British friend say anything about this. It's really infuriating that they all have their heads so far in the sand.

• Liked: 3589
It's really horrifying Jim.

I'm having an admittedly very hard time adapting to life here, and things like this make me incredibly upset. Like why did I give up everything back home to come live in such a racist xenophobic country with a health care system that doesn't want to treat sick people? (not that the states are much better right now)

I haven't seen a single British friend say anything about this. It's really infuriating that they all have their heads so far in the sand.

As a Brit, I find the attitude of our politicians, and the general overall feeling here right now, absolutely disgusting. Please don’t think we’re all like this, because we are not... most people I talk to are fed up too, and I have yet to come across a single one of my friends or acquaintances who voted for Brexit or who wanted to leave the EU.

I used to think my country was tolerant and that we were better than this, but the result of Brexit vote and the crap that’s been happening lately has really showed a side of Britain that I didn’t think still existed... and it seems to be getting worse and worse all the time :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
As a Brit, I find the attitude of our politicians, and the general overall feeling here right now, absolutely disgusting. Please don’t think we’re all like this, because we are not... most people I talk to are fed up too, and I have yet to come across a single one of my friends or acquaintances who voted for Brexit or who wanted to leave the EU.

I used to think my country was tolerant and that we were better than this, but the result of Brexit vote and the crap that’s been happening lately has really showed a side of Britain that I didn’t think still existed... and it seems to be getting worse and worse all the time :(.

We've watched the same thing happen with the USA.  Trump and his opinions seems to be giving people a chance to say things you wouldn't DARE say in the past.  It's hard seeing the two countries I'm tied to make such a mess of things.

I know SO MANY people who voted for Brexit (including my husband).  For them, it wasn't about immigration.  But seemed to be about "having their voices heard" that they don't want the EU controlling us.  But NONE of them expected the majority vote to be leave.  And I don't think any of them would actually vote Leave now if given the opportunity to vote again.  And yes, they are all morons for not thinking their vote would actually sway the results.   ::)

Margo, it's much like the USA here.  It's the government policies and media that make the UK seem MUCH more anti-immigration than the people you will meet in real life.

We've watched the same thing happen with the USA.  Trump and his opinions seems to be giving people a chance to say things you wouldn't DARE say in the past.  It's hard seeing the two countries I'm tied to make such a mess of things.

I know SO MANY people who voted for Brexit (including my husband).  For them, it wasn't about immigration.  But seemed to be about "having their voices heard" that they don't want the EU controlling us.  But NONE of them expected the majority vote to be leave.  And I don't think any of them would actually vote Leave now if given the opportunity to vote again.  And yes, they are all morons for not thinking their vote would actually sway the results.   ::)

Margo, it's much like the USA here.  It's the government policies and media that make the UK seem MUCH more anti-immigration than the people you will meet in real life.
I've been too sick to get out much, so basically my only interaction with people besides my husband is either sick folks who are desperate for help or the rest of the Internet... And while you try to keep those interactions to friends you never control who *their* friends are. The negativity and crap people just seem to be everywhere.

I really need a car and a job so I have more ability to get out of the house! (but right now, the way I've felt the last week, I would probably end up fired in the probation period. I really need the NHS appointment tomorrow to go well, and to find a therapist who understands adults with sensory processing issues/possible ASD.)

It's, sadly, so the same in the States. People who had been keeping quiet are now out and loud again, and it's truly sad. It's like we've lost fifty years of progress. I remember living with so much of this racist, sexist, homophobic, ethnocentric nonsense when I was a kid in West Texas. It sure seemed like we'd started to learn better.

Then again, maybe that progress was all an illusion in the first place. Not all of it was, I'm sure of that. But obviously the roots of the disease were never exterminated. I think that there's such a level of frustration just simmering that it has to go somewhere. The US culture is built on a Hollywood dream. People see others having fantastic lives (on TV, etc.) and somehow the word "deserve" comes into play. Every special snowflake deserves everything they want. And when they don't have that picture-perfect, wonderful life with all the nice homes and neighborhoods, and expensive toys and what used to be luxuries, resentment builds up.

I've always thought that resentment is right next to anger, and it is always looking for an "out" (or you end up jumping off a bridge). Scapegoats are really handy for funneling that unpleasant emotion, aren't they? It gives you someone to hate, someone you can blame for your life not being what you want/expect it to be. It's always so much easier to blame "the other" - be it a person or an institution - than to acknowledge that you have simply had bad luck, you had no chance in the first place, or that it's your own fault when things don't go to expectations. People, myself included, go through life with freaking blinders on.

People can be stupid. Put too many people together, stupid or smart, and you get a mob. Mobs are entities of their own, where the usual social rules are out the window.  If you can get to individuals, you can work for change. If you are dealing with a group that is self-reinforcing, it'd be a hell of a job to persuade them to go somewhere other than where their internal reinforcement has them going.

Not that it's impossible. I think of Joe McCarthy. He eventually went down in flames, after causing so much misery. But the mob that he led, well, some of them are still out there. It's the same with other things. They lurk. Like a virus. And in a moment of weakness.... :-\\\\

And, with that, I have bread to go make. I tend to ponder things too much, especially things outside my control, and it's better if I do not. I sure do wish I could fix all this misery. Maybe even a little bit of it. But, we're back to there's no way for me to do it. I can't even become "an activist" (as if I had that kind of talent) as I'd end up on a watch list, and get myself deported.  :-\\\\

And yeah, the government here. Well, there's a reason the US (and a number of other countries) went independent. The US bureaucracy has it's foibles, but you don't ~usually~ have departments running amok and trampling people without legislative oversight or some serious lawsuits flying.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:17:02 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab