Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Architecture/Engineering/Project Management qualifications?  (Read 1130 times)

• Liked: 0
Architecture/Engineering/Project Management qualifications?
« on: April 18, 2018, 04:25:11 PM »
Hi everybody,

I have a B.S.Arch from a US university and have many years of experience working in the built environment. A few years doing mechanical/plumbing engineering for enormous school renovations, a few years in a design+build architecture firm in Baltimore City, and a little bit of time doing project management for a structural engineering firm. Other than my experience I don't actually have any of the qualifications that the Brits are so fond of.

While I'm waiting for my spouse visa, I'm trying to figure out if I should be doing some online qualification courses. And which ones!?! I'm not quite sure how to go about getting work in the architecture/engineering fields since my husband is kinda useless in this regard. He works at a pub and teaches spinning classes so he doesn't really have to worry about the formality of this kind of work.

Any advice?
1st Spouse Visa (non-priority)
Biometric Appt: April 17, 2018
Package Shipped: April 17, 2018
Rec'd by Sheffield: April 20, 2018
Decision Email: July 10, 2018
Passport in Hand: ??
Landed in UK: ??

Total ?? Business Days

• Liked: 4985
Re: Architecture/Engineering/Project Management qualifications?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
My husband is a mechanical engineer turned project manager for a construction firm.  Sounds a bit similar to what you're experience is in.

His only "qualifications" are his bachelors degree and he recently completed a PMP certification.  He only did the PMP certification on the thought that we may want to move to the USA at some point and the PMP would make him very desirable there (and his company paid for it).

The tough part will be getting someone to take a "chance" on you in the UK.  However, as an engineer, you should be able to quickly and easily secure employment.  There is another female engineer on the boards who was even able to secure employment before her visa came through.  I think you'll find it easier to get a job than most.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Architecture/Engineering/Project Management qualifications?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
With a BS in Architecture, you should definitely be able to find work as an architectural technologist and with work experience in project management and structural engineering, you could definitely work in the construction field will very little trouble. 

Engineering is a field in demand and the UK is short of engineers (even if it's not a visa "shortage occupation", trust me, it is).  Back when immigration rules were a bit easier, I came on a work permit because engineers are needed. 

Just to give you a bit of background, I'm a Supplier Quality and Development Engineer, subject matter expert with Plastics , working with Plastics Suppliers within the medical device industry. I've got a BSc in Plastics Engineering (I kill oceans obviously) and MSc in Biomedical Engineering Design and Manufacturing and I'm a Chartered Mechanical Engineer, so this job suits my qualifications well. Also, I am a member of the Women's Engineering Society in the UK, so yes, we need more women in STEM and your job history and qualifications make you very well suited to work in the UK!   :) :) :)

If you were looking for qualifications, I reckon you could be a Chartered Architectural Technologist very easily with your BS and job history. 
https://ciat.org.uk/membership/qualifying-as-a-chartered-at.html

My husband is an Architectural Technologist and he's got an HND and is trying to put together his application for Chartership. He's qualifying under the professional route, with 20 years experience rather than the qualification route.
(And yes, our discussions in our house are really geeky  :P)

If you wanted to go Structural Engineering, you could get Chartered with the Institute of Structural Engineers too.
https://www.istructe.org/membership/types-of-membership

Both qualifications for you should be straight forward, if you were looking for such a thing. 
Good luck with the job hunting!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:18:18 AM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab