Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Overwhelmed by special circumstances  (Read 1049 times)

• Liked: 27
Overwhelmed by special circumstances
« on: May 09, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »
Hello all,

I'm totally overwhelmed and unsure where to begin on the job front since joining my spouse in the UK.

In the US, I successfully ran my own business for over a decade. It was a last-minute child and adult care service for special needs families. I was a sole proprietorship who was able to hire other self-employed people to care for clients, and I also provided direct care for Autistic and Alzheimer's clients in the client's home.
I could be completely wrong but... There does not seem to be an equivalent here. It looks like child care in a home other than yours must be done as an employee, and the pay is extremely low (rendering its appearance akin to more a teenager's job than a 40-something.)
Operating a facility for care is not an option. There is too high a startup cost -- already my First Aid, CPR, AED and other qualifications are not valid in the UK and I don't have the financial ability to open my own business here. Caring for adults also seems much more a liability issue here, so I will likely not continue on that route for now

This lends me to believe my skills might be better applied in a school setting. But this opens a host of other questions:

How do I prove my self-employment? I have my business license, but it only states the year I opened the business. Sharing my tax forms seems overly personal.

Do I need to use NARIC? I received a bachelor's degree in sociology, with a specialization in criminal justice -- with honors. Not exactly my professional field, but adjacent.

I'm out of the loop for standard reporting practices already, but CV writing seems more personal than résumé writing. It sounds like I will have to disclose having been diagnosed with Autism (high-functioning) and Rheumatoid Arthritis (manageable) in the USA, since health is reported when providing care here. I'm an extremely hard worker, and have only had glowing reports from my clients --I love the work I do!-- but I'm concerned the positives I can offer will be obscured with this sort of disclosure.
I also only have an international drivers licence. I'm in London, so busing is not a problem. Will I have to disclose that I will not be driving?

I would love to get back in my field, but the more I look up information online, the less I'm able to understand how to gain equivalency here. I worked very hard to achieve the many successes I had in the States, and so little of that seems to translate (especially since I'm in essence having to change careers.) I have been carefully molding my career since I was just 13, but now I feel like the last few decades have been erased. I have absolutely no idea where to begin.

I appreciate any information or advice you could provide!
-Non-priority spousal visa & son's settlement visa-
Date of visa application: 26 April (27 April GMT) 2017
Visas received: 3 August 2017
-FLR(M) -
Date of visa application: 7 April 2020
Date of IDV app invite: 7 September 2020
Date of IDV completion: 14 September 2020
Additional document email: 7 December 2020
Application result email: 9 December 2020
BRPs received: 14 December 2020

• Liked: 4985
Re: Overwhelmed by special circumstances
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
I can't offer any practical advice but big hugs!

The work you have done for others is truly exceptional.  I'm sorry that you are unable to continue that here. 

We have a few people who really know the education system who will hopefully be able to offer guidance.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 06:53:27 PM »
I'm sure you've already looked at this, but here are my (limited) suggestions.

NHS - there are people who care for others in their home. Carers? Or perhaps through the cuncil?

Education - seems like perhaps a special school...? A teaching assistant will not bring in much though, perhaps not much more than minimum wage.

As qualifications here are soooo specific, you may want to look a little more closely at those once you've worked out which setting seems more appropriate/ desirable to you.

Might be worth looking on linked in to find people who do what you want to do and see what their qualifications are?
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »
I'm not really up on all the details, but what about childminding in your house?  There's a limit to the number of kids depending on age but it's got to be 3 or something.  Sounds like a viable business.  I'm concerned that all caring jobs are going to be underpaid here.
I have hired many nannies and would not expect personal medical issues that are unrelated to be disclosed.  My personal opinion is that high level autism would not be my business.  If you applied and disclosed it, I would not be concerned about it.

Good luck, I truly believe you will find your niche.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
I can't help but just wanted to wish you the best of luck finding a position which you're happy with.  :)

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »
I thank you kindly. I will not be able to care for children in my home, but it was a good suggestion. I appreciate the good vibes -- email notification went to my junk mail, so my delayed gratitude will have to do.

I'm bumping my head against the wall, trying to parlay my skills into other fields. I was a substitute teacher for many years, but the UK wants their support teachers to have the same qualifications as a regular teacher. The types of senior care I used to predominantly work in are volunteer positions. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I'm so overwhelmed, I thought I'd try a career change as a baker in the supermarket. I love baking at home, and used to manage a doughnut shop a lifetime ago. Alas, I was rejected for not having had enough experience. I'm super stressed.
-FLR(M) -

• Liked: 85
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
Let me summarise what you're saying here, and please tell me if I'm wrong.

- You're extremely knowledgeable about autism and Alzheimer's, and you're passionate that people with these conditions receive the right care.
- You know how to manage a budget, delegate and manage people.
- You have a broad range of skills, including being a very good writer (apparent from your post) and ability to teach, despite no official qualifications.
- You're in London.

Why not look at jobs within Alzheimer's and autism charities? Project officer, manager of volunteering, writer, someone who develops educational materials -- those are all jobs in that sector, and all skills you have. The charity sector is mostly HQ'd in London, so you have your pick.

Also, I know the UK is more tick-box about qualifications, but sod it. Particularly in London, it doesn't have to hurt you -- if you're flexible and willing, you can make your own path in this glorious, filthy, wonderful, grind of a city.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:47:50 AM »
Wow, what a response! It's a great idea. It didn't even occur to me to work in that sector, but it's a neat fit given my experience. Thank you!
-FLR(M) -

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:42:42 PM »
if you're flexible and willing, you can make your own path in this glorious, filthy, wonderful, grind of a city.

That’s very true, sometimes we can break a lot of rules because we are different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sponsored Links