Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Nan's gull story!  (Read 1318 times)

• Liked: 6110
Nan's gull story!
« on: May 10, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »
Care to share Nan?  ;D

• Liked: 1260
Re: Nan's gull story!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 05:02:02 PM »
haha yes! please do! I was wondering if I had missed a good story when I saw it but looks like it was never told! :p
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »
Oh, sorry, been busy planning a field trip. Getting on the bigbus in the morning and going with my walking stick into the wilds of Argyll... Wandering Time!!!!  ;D

Ok, the gull.

I have a large bamboo mat that covers most of my kitchen floor. About six ft by 10 ft. Normally keeps the floor clean, but occasionally I need to get the areas between the edges and where the cabinets start scrubbed. So I swept it, rolled it up. Wrestled it into the hallway. Got the kitchen table and chairs out into another room. Got a bucket of hot water and scrubbed the beejezus out of my kitchen floor. (After doing all the cabinet and counter-top surfaces.)  I do this at least once a month - hey, I have the time and have become obsessed with 'clean' in my old age.

Anyway, I had all four of the windows wide open, to let a breeze in to help dry the floor. Also had some bread cooling on a rack near one of the windows. (You can see this coming, right?)

Left the room, was doing other housework. Came back 10 minutes later to see how the floor was drying and guess what was standing on my just-scrubbed counter, eyeing the loaf of bread with it's beady little eyes? (It wasn't the bread that had beady little eyes!)

I actually screamed "oi!" for the first time in my life. And went after it with the mop. Fortunately, it didn't leave me any presents and skedaddled right back out the window with much squawking and flapping of wings.

Had to wipe down the whole counter-top with bleachwater again.  >:(

It was good the little neighbor kids weren't home to hear the string of expletives I was yellling as I charged the little b.... {ahem} birdy. 

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
Oh, sorry, been busy planning a field trip. Getting on the bigbus in the morning and going with my walking stick into the wilds of Argyll... Wandering Time!!!!  ;D

Ok, the gull.

I have a large bamboo mat that covers most of my kitchen floor. About six ft by 10 ft. Normally keeps the floor clean, but occasionally I need to get the areas between the edges and where the cabinets start scrubbed. So I swept it, rolled it up. Wrestled it into the hallway. Got the kitchen table and chairs out into another room. Got a bucket of hot water and scrubbed the beejezus out of my kitchen floor. (After doing all the cabinet and counter-top surfaces.)  I do this at least once a month - hey, I have the time and have become obsessed with 'clean' in my old age.

Anyway, I had all four of the windows wide open, to let a breeze in to help dry the floor. Also had some bread cooling on a rack near one of the windows. (You can see this coming, right?)

Left the room, was doing other housework. Came back 10 minutes later to see how the floor was drying and guess what was standing on my just-scrubbed counter, eyeing the loaf of bread with it's beady little eyes? (It wasn't the bread that had beady little eyes!)

I actually screamed "oi!" for the first time in my life. And went after it with the mop. Fortunately, it didn't leave me any presents and skedaddled right back out the window with much squawking and flapping of wings.

Had to wipe down the whole counter-top with bleachwater again.  >:(

It was good the little neighbor kids weren't home to hear the string of expletives I was yellling as I charged the little b.... {ahem} birdy.

Heehee! You are very lucky he didn't leave you any presents!  ;D

I had a Herring gull freaking out in my utility room once, it was a poopfest!  ;D

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
Oh, and enjoy your adventure tomorrow!  :D

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
Thanks, I hope to! It looks like good walking weather. There are some gardens out there that I've been wanting to visit.

Yeah, I was waiting for him to bomb the hell out of the counter and the floor (it's a black floor, too, of course).  We're several floors up. How the HELL did he manage to appear out of nowhere and find my windows, with my bread? I mean, I see a gull go by out there now and then, but only rarely....

How did it get in your utility closet?

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
How did it get in your utility closet?

Flew right in the back door, turned left!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Everything about this thread is fabulous.

“Flew in and turned left”. I’m dying!

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 09:38:25 PM »
Flew right in the back door, turned left!  ;D

~rim shot~

• Liked: 585
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 06:49:03 AM »
Wonderful!  ;D 

What did he look like?

Light grey back/wings + pink legs = herring gull
Dark grey back/wings + yellow legs = lesser black-backed gull

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »
Wonderful!  ;D 

What did he look like?

Albatross, I love that you think Nan will have noticed the gull's legs!   ;D

Nan, if you did notice the legs, I'll be DAMN impressed.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »
Wonderful!  ;D 

What did he look like?

I have both living on my roof! There used to be a lesser black backed couple but the herring gulls (guilty of trespassing in my utility room) are bullies and made them leave.
But the last year the black backs were there, one of their babies was a bit of a runt... normally they are down on the ground for a day or two at most before they take off but this one lived in the garden for 6 weeks, slept on the ground! Don't know how he survived.
He comes back every year with his wife, he was on the neighbours roof for the first couple of years but he has finally moved back onto mine!

He's such a character! I love him! I call him bird!   :D

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »
I call him bird!   :D

So creative!   ;)

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
So creative!   ;)

He's my bird:D

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 09:39:26 AM »
He's my bird:D

Just like Panda is my daughter's panda.  It works!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab