Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm going to visit my family!!  (Read 1598 times)

• Liked: 116
I'm going to visit my family!!
« on: May 13, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
I'm so excited because we just booked to go visit my parents in NY!  Also we got a good price for our dates on aerlingus.  I haven't been back since I moved and I've been missing it no matter how much I like it here.

Edit: it's going to be at the end of the summer too so I can go to the US Open!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 6110
Re: I'm going to visit my family!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »
I'm so excited because we just booked to go visit my parents in NY!  Also we got a good price for our dates on aerlingus.  I haven't been back since I moved and I've been missing it no matter how much I like it here.

Awesome!  :D You should get started on your shopping list now!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
How exciting!!!

I always recommend people return back (at least) once a year.  It's good to go back!  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
How exciting!!!

I always recommend people return back (at least) once a year.  It's good to go back!  :)

Well.  I'm a bit overdue.  I just did ILR, and for the question about all the times I've left the UK, I put none.   ::)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »
Well.  I'm a bit overdue.  I just did ILR, and for the question about all the times I've left the UK, I put none.   ::)

DEFINITELY overdue!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »
DEFINITELY overdue!

But my husband won't go with me, and the thought of going alone feels like voluntarily jumping into quicksand.  :/

Edited to add:  I'll happily travel anywhere else without him, but home sounds too much like a trap.  ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 12:39:49 PM »
But my husband won't go with me, and the thought of going alone feels like voluntarily jumping into quicksand.  :/

Edited to add:  I'll happily travel anywhere else without him, but home sounds too much like a trap.  ;)

Lol! 

I didn't go home for my first three years here, as I was only supposed to be a temporary move.  Felt really good when I did though.

My husband would happily move to the USA, so no twisting his arm!

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »
Lol! 

I didn't go home for my first three years here, as I was only supposed to be a temporary move.  Felt really good when I did though.

My husband would happily move to the USA, so no twisting his arm!

If we could have managed the trip before my father passed away, it would've shown my husband that it's not as bad as he's imagining it.  But my father was my bargaining chip, and now I don't have him.  And, frankly, I'm less inclined to go if my dad's not there, anyway.  (My family don't know to look for me here, so I can say what I want!)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 05:33:56 PM »

Oh nononononono.... not for me.
The thought of going over hangs above me like a black dread-filled cloud.
I'm going to have to go back next year, as with my parents age/states of health, I feel I need to go back a bit more often than usual.  :(

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 05:56:02 PM »
I'm going to have to go back next year, as with my parents age/states of health, I feel I need to go back a bit more often than usual.  :(
This. I want to go back to see my friends. But I have to see my mom because she is still really struggling with the loss of my stepdad. I called her for mothers day, after her having no interest in talking to me since I moved... (I have called a few times to check in) and she's never once asked how things are. So I stick to the topics that she wants to hear about, aka... When to plan her trip here next year so she can hang out at the ocean with my inlaws. Not everyone has happy glowing relationships with family. :( She uses me to make happy  Facebook posts & gossip that her friends love and that's about it. She's never once shared an EDS Awareness post or my music. Ever.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »

I should have added the caveat "when someone is moving to another continent for their partner they should budget a return trip home each year".  It's definitely advice for people who are moving from their support network.

Toxic family relationships are exempt, of course!

What's weird is my relationship with my mom was much healthier when I was in the USA.  I cant pinpoint what has changed.  Definitely a part is her memory.  It's tough!

• Liked: 20
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:06 PM »
Congrats, that's wonderful! Eat some NY pizza and authentic Mexican food while you're there. :D

I actually have the opposite problem of those of you who rarely visit- my spouse and I are struggling, and so far failing, to limit our North America visits to once a year. We went twice last year, once to US and once to Canada, and this year due to unusual circumstances we need to go to the US twice in a few month period and will skip a holiday trip. Between our families in two different NA countries begging us to come home and siblings and close friends getting married, it's been a challenge. We love our US/Canadian friends and family, but it's frustrating when we moved here to explore Europe, and the money and time we would've used for those trips is mostly going to flights across the pond for family obligations instead.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
I definitely want to visit once per year! Although last year I was only just beginning to work over the summer so we couldn't afford it. This year we finally hit the amount of savings we need for the next visa so were able to book.

At least we have a free place to stay! I also get along better with my parents now than I used to.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
I actually have the opposite problem of those of you who rarely visit- my spouse and I are struggling, and so far failing, to limit our North America visits to once a year. We went twice last year, once to US and once to Canada, and this year due to unusual circumstances we need to go to the US twice in a few month period and will skip a holiday trip. Between our families in two different NA countries begging us to come home and siblings and close friends getting married, it's been a challenge. We love our US/Canadian friends and family, but it's frustrating when we moved here to explore Europe, and the money and time we would've used for those trips is mostly going to flights across the pond for family obligations instead.

Yeah, I can definitely relate with this....

I had been travelling to the US a lot for work in the past, so I stopped off and saw family and friends pretty regularly - once or twice a year... I've not been to the US since Nov 2016 and I'm heading back in June for a fleeting visit. I don't want to go to the US itself (uggh, Trump) but I'm missing my family loads and my friends in the US.   

My poor husband has no good view of what the US can offer, as we've only spent time in the armpit town I grew up in and car journeys to visit family and friends (of which he, of course, doesn't know very well, so it's awkward). 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 09:54:25 PM »

Only just seeing this. Excellent news! I find Aer Lingus and Norwegian seem to have the best prices to the New England area that we've seen and they are quality :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab