Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where did you meet your significant other?  (Read 15330 times)

• Liked: 113
Re: Where did you meet your significant other?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
That's a really cool story jfkimberly!

Mine isn't real interesting. I didn't meet him and then move to the UK on a spousal visa or anything.  I moved here on my own on a work visa. And I was about 4 -5 months in and started using match.com. I met my now husband 9.5 months after I moved here on match.com and it turns out he lived right around the corner from me.  We got married after 7 years of being together.  A modern love story, I guess.

Match.com for me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 20
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
Like a lot of modern cross-border relationships my partner and I started talking on an online group. We discovered that while we'd never met, we had some in-person mutual acquaintances in common. We decided to meet in person and the rest is history!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »
Like a lot of modern cross-border relationships my partner and I started talking on an online group. We discovered that while we'd never met, we had some in-person mutual acquaintances in common. We decided to meet in person and the rest is history!

Small world, indeed, if you had mutual acquaintances!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »
Short answer: on OKCupid...with no intention of finding a relationship :)

If you enjoy reading other people's stories, I think there's actually an older thread on here with loads of peoples stories that you should definitely look through as it might make you smile :)

EDIT: Found it :) http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=6513.0
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:02:00 PM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 20
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »
Small world, indeed, if you had mutual acquaintances!

We studied the same subject in college and had met a few of the people at academic events. We were a few graduation years apart so never actually met ourselves. Since he's Canadian it's more likely to have happened than with a British partner, but it was still a pretty funny coincidence!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 11:09:22 AM »

I know I'm going to get in trouble for this....

• Liked: 154
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »
I met my OH on a spur of the moment trip to England. I had just finished my masters (in a government related field and then there were hiring freezes) and had lost somebody really significant to me. I was kind of down And a friend suggested I travel with her to see an old family friend. I agreed- hubby turned out to be this person’s roommate. We fell hard. Two years later we got married and now I’ve been in England for 2.5 years. The world works in mysterious ways.

I love reading everybody’s story! I’m a sucker for love ❤️❤️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 10:09:40 PM »
I know I'm going to get in trouble for this....

And I’m getting in trouble for laughing..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 65
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 12:28:10 AM »
I moved to the UK on my own with a work Visa in 1998. I met my husband at a pub in Farnham. We talked for about 3 hours straight his friends wanted to move on to another pub, so he asked if I wanted to come along. I didn’t fancy tagging along so I suggested he give me his number and I’d call him the next day so we could arrange a date. As luck would have it, I left his number in my jeans pocket and washed them so I had no way of contacting him. For three months I kept an eye out for him every time I went into town to no avail. Then one night I went to a nightclub in Guildford with some friends and as I walked up to the queue, who was standing there but my dear husband to be! Needless to say, we didn’t let each other out of sight the entire evening. We were a couple from that day on and ended up getting married about 1 year later. Some things are just meant to be!

Spouse Visa issued 31 December 2018
Moved to UK 19 January 2019
FLR app submitted 1 October 2021
Biometrics 9 October 2021
FLR approval 31 October 2021
ILR approval 10 March 2024

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
I moved to the UK on my own with a work Visa in 1998. I met my husband at a pub in Farnham. We talked for about 3 hours straight his friends wanted to move on to another pub, so he asked if I wanted to come along. I didn’t fancy tagging along so I suggested he give me his number and I’d call him the next day so we could arrange a date. As luck would have it, I left his number in my jeans pocket and washed them so I had no way of contacting him. For three months I kept an eye out for him every time I went into town to no avail. Then one night I went to a nightclub in Guildford with some friends and as I walked up to the queue, who was standing there but my dear husband to be! Needless to say, we didn’t let each other out of sight the entire evening. We were a couple from that day on and ended up getting married about 1 year later. Some things are just meant to be!

Oh wow! If it had been 3 months and you ran back into each other and remembered each other that is definitely a sign! :)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 02:47:07 AM »
I have been a huge fan of a Scottish band called "Simple Minds" over the past 36 years. In 1986, one the back of one of their albums, I noticed that they had finally organized an "official" fan club so I wrote to the address to join. I received a quarterly newsletter and I was intrigued especially about the "contact" section of the newsletter where I could contact other fans around the globe. There was a small ad from a fan that read:

"Paul from Lancashire: I would like to write to girl fans from esp. America and Canada, age 15+"

I was 16 and American so I wrote this guy. We wrote each other and talked on the phone on and off for seven years.

During those seven years, I had got married and had a baby and he was engaged so we didn't want to make our partners uncomfortable so we didn't really ever plan to meet. However, in 1993, I split up from my husband and he and his fiancee split up. It was finally time to meet. The second we met each other, we knew we were meant to be together.

We married in 1996, 10 years after our first letter and here we are 22 years later with two kids together, ages 20 & 17.

We are seeing our band perform in the US in October. It's only right since they were the reason we started this in the first place.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
I have been a huge fan of a Scottish band called "Simple Minds" over the past 36 years. In 1986, one the back of one of their albums, I noticed that they had finally organized an "official" fan club so I wrote to the address to join. I received a quarterly newsletter and I was intrigued especially about the "contact" section of the newsletter where I could contact other fans around the globe. There was a small ad from a fan that read:

"Paul from Lancashire: I would like to write to girl fans from esp. America and Canada, age 15+"

I was 16 and American so I wrote this guy. We wrote each other and talked on the phone on and off for seven years.

During those seven years, I had got married and had a baby and he was engaged so we didn't want to make our partners uncomfortable so we didn't really ever plan to meet. However, in 1993, I split up from my husband and he and his fiancee split up. It was finally time to meet. The second we met each other, we knew we were meant to be together.

We married in 1996, 10 years after our first letter and here we are 22 years later with two kids together, ages 20 & 17.

We are seeing our band perform in the US in October. It's only right since they were the reason we started this in the first place.
Now that is an amazing story!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »

That should merit getting called on stage, or at least going backstage to meet the band.   
At least he specified 15+

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
That should merit getting called on stage, or at least going backstage to meet the band.   
At least he specified 15+

They *ARE* having a gig on bank hols weekend I believe! I only know that as somebody in the office LOVES them and is going and doesn't stop talking about them haha
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 163
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
My future wife and I met in 2002 while we were both working for Royal Caribbean on the M/S Vision of the Seas. We were at a crew party on the back deck, and when the party ran out of alcohol I said to her, "I've got a bottle of wine in my cabin."

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab