Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Eligible for NHS pregnancy/childbirth care after visa expires?  (Read 2110 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi!

My spousal visa expires in January and plan is to move back to the states (visa in process). If hypothetically we had gotten pregnant and gave birth 1-2 months after visa expiration, would I be eligible to give birth in the UK and continue midwife care with my husband being a UK citizen?

Obviously this would be overstating, would the only option be to extend visa?

• Liked: 3595
Re: Eligible for NHS pregnancy/childbirth care after visa expires?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 06:41:08 AM »
You will become an illegal overstayer starting on the day after your visa expires, so you MUST either:
- have already left the UK before your visa expires
or
- have applied for FLR(M) before your visa expires

You SHOULD NOT attempt to overstay your visa.

If you do, you will be breaking the law and you will NOT be covered for NHS care and will have to pay for ALL treatment (and having a baby in the UK can costs thousands).

Overstaying will also affect any future UK visas/citizenship applications if you were to return to the UK later on.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:42:30 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:41:27 AM »
Hi!

My spousal visa expires in January and plan is to move back to the states (visa in process). If hypothetically we had gotten pregnant and gave birth 1-2 months after visa expiration, would I be eligible to give birth in the UK and continue midwife care with my husband being a UK citizen?

Obviously this would be overstating, would the only option be to extend visa?

Your only good options would be for you to extend the visa or return to the US and have the baby there.  :)
If you stay past the validity of the visa, you would be an illegal overstayer and would not be entitled to free use of the NHS. That would be a really bad idea as you would have a huge black mark on your immigration history and a huge medical bill!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »
This is what I thought just wanted to check if I was missing anything. Thanks so much for getting back to me quickly!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:53:50 AM »
No problem :).

Oh, and also, if you were to overstay your visa, and then you wanted to visit the UK in the future with your husband and baby, you would not be allowed back in without applying for a visitor visa first, because you would have an illegal overstay on your immigration history.

In fact, if you were to overstay for more than 30 days, the visa application would be refused and you would not be able to come back to the UK.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:58:01 AM »
Good luck with the move!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab